Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Bitch in heat.

• 12-07-2014 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi all.

I have a dog and a bitch that I want to breed next year but unfortunately my dog got at her today and they were stuck together for about 20mins.
    I asked a vet and he said that there is no more morning after pill anymore but instead she will have to get two injections when she comes out of heat. The cost of this is over €110 😭

Can anyone tell me why there is no pill anymore or if there is a more cost effective option?

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,330 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Moved from Zoology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I didn't know there ever was a pill, its always been the mismate injections as far as I was aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

im like muddypaws didn't ever hear of such a pill 2 injections it used to be maybe that has changed tg never had to use

any reason why you wont let nature take its course this time not being critical or anything just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kerryman10

jimf wrote: »
    im like muddypaws didn't ever hear of such a pill 2 injections it used to be maybe that has changed tg never had to use

any reason why you wont let nature take its course this time not being critical or anything just curious

Both dogs are only a year old and far too young to breed in my opinion.

A vet told me that the pill can't be used anymore and my friend got the pill for his dog in the past.

I don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tara king

I agree kerryman 10.The bitch would be far too immature at 12 months old. why don't you ask your friend whick vet gave him the pill for his,& maybe contact him then...just a thought

• Advertisement

tara king wrote: »
    I agree kerryman 10.The bitch would be far too immature at 12 months old. why don't you ask your friend whick vet gave him the pill for his,& maybe contact him then...just a thought

I did but it seems that his mother got it for his dogs. I think she knows a vet that will give it to her. He has to ask her and he hasn't come back to me and to be honest I can't depend on that.

Injections would be fine but €112 is a bit steep I think...or maybe that is normal price???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

kerryman10 wrote: »
    I did but it seems that his mother got it for his dogs. I think she knows a vet that will give it to her. He has to ask her and he hasn't come back to me and to be honest I can't depend on that.

Injections would be fine but €112 is a bit steep I think...or maybe that is normal price???

Sounds about right in my opinion, considering that I doubt it's something that has to be done very often. Anyway, I think you should just go for it, cheaper than having puppies any time soon...

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I was told by a vet that they can't give out the pill anymore...only injections.

By the way he claims that it's the same stuff that they give to women for abortions....???

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tara king

Box of Rose's for his Mammy & a bit of charm from yourself & she might get it for you. :) It was great when you could go into a chemist & buy the meds over the counter even the injections...in my opinion a trip to the vet is always over 100 euro regardless of what's wrong with the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Both dogs are only a year old and far too young to breed in my opinion.

A vet told me that the pill can't be used anymore and my friend got the pill for his dog in the past.

I don't know...

ah that makes perfect sense

• Advertisement

VonVix wrote: »
    Sounds about right in my opinion, considering that I doubt it's something that has to be done very often. Anyway, I think you should just go for it, cheaper than having puppies any time soon...

It's priced per weight of the dog. My bitch is about 15kg so thank god I don't have a large dog😊

Box of Rose's for his Mammy & a bit of charm from yourself & she might get it for you. :) It was great when you could go into a chemist & buy the meds over the counter even the injections...in my opinion a trip to the vet is always over 100 euro regardless of what's wrong with the dog.

I know tara. If I could get my hands on a bottle I could give the injection myself.
    If my friend doesn't come through then I'll go to vet and get it sorted. Tnks

Will try that 😠tnks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If you think that's a bit steep maybe rethink your breeding plans & have a spay done.

I paid about €600 euro for a section on a bitch that got into trouble. Breeding dogs can be very expensive!

Knine wrote: »
    If you think that's a bit steep maybe rethink your breeding plans & have a spay done.

I paid about €600 euro for a section on a bitch that got into trouble. Breeding dogs can be very expensive!

€600 sounds reasonable to me for a section compared to €112 for an injection. Would pet insurance not cover the section?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

€600 sounds reasonable to me for a section compared to €112 for an injection. Would pet insurance not cover the section?

No, pet insurance doesn't cover anything in relation to breeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

http://www.myvetmeds.co.uk/alizin-injection.htm

I'd assume you're paying the min free for consultation + a (blood?) test to make sure she's pregnant + the medicine. So in my vets that'd be €41 + the test €20? + €50-60? for the medicine. Google alizin and you'll find loads of threads about it - by all accounts it's a safer option and has less complications than the pill that they don't use anymore. If you manage to get hold of the pill and the dog ends up with pyometra you'll have more than €100 in bills and assuming the dog survives they'll probably spay her.

Advertisement