Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu rip off

• 12-07-2014 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Supervalu charging 20 cent per top up on pre pay gas and electricity cards!! Hitting the most vulnerable!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Get used to it. They - shops - we, earn 19 cent for doing it. Then the bank charges us 50c per hundred to lodge it. You now have to pay for the service provided to you. Expect it - and more.... Did I mention, the staff member expects to be paid aswell? Absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭redarmy

Get used to it. They - shops - we, earn 19 cent for doing it. Then the bank charges us 50c per hundred to lodge it. You now have to pay for the service provided to you. Expect it - and more.... Did I mention, the staff member expects to be paid aswell? Absolutely shocking.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Can you vote with your feet and just buy the top up elsewhere, like the post office for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Can you vote with your feet and just buy the top up elsewhere, like the post office for example?

Exactly, or top up on line, the shop owners always giving out about being charged this and that, and somehow they have to pay it, what they seem to forget is their prices for everything else is already over inflated to a maximum and they pay staff minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

SpaceTime wrote: »

Its true , I heard that the retailer gets 6% per lotto ticket , so now I do it in Paddy Powers instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its true , I heard that the retailer gets 6% per lotto ticket , so now I do it in Paddy Powers instead :)

So 12 cent then? For the workload involved its not really worth it.

You're also not doing the Lotto in Paddy Power, you're making a bet with them on the results of the Lotto. Where you need to bet on a specific outcome rather than all the outcomes; and they don't offer the full 6 balls, and have maximum payouts well below the Lotto, and and and - its not the same thing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

MYOB wrote: »

You're also not doing the Lotto in Paddy Power, you're making a bet with them on the results of the Lotto. Where you need to bet on a specific outcome rather than all the outcomes; and they don't offer the full 6 balls, and have maximum payouts well below the Lotto, and and and - its not the same thing at all.

So its back to the retailer then ...better odds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

billie1b wrote: »
    Exactly, or top up on line, the shop owners always giving out about being charged this and that, and somehow they have to pay it, what they seem to forget is their prices for everything else is already over inflated to a maximum and they pay staff minimum

Id say youve done a lot of research to back up these assertions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

MYOB wrote: »

And we are told the lottery goes to good causes. Paddy Powers profits go where exactly ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Id say youve done a lot of research to back up these assertions?

Between shopping around different stores to find the cheapest, yes, Supervalu is not that cheap compared to others for the same product. Would be one of the most expensive around. Also in my local store there's about 75% of the workforce that are under 18 so they only have to pay them €6 per hour.
    Paying cheap and overpricing to maximise profits, Not the only ones doing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Supervalu charging 20 cent per top up on pre pay gas and electricity cards!! Hitting the most vulnerable!

Well if you're already volunteering to pay up to 30% more for your electricity by going the pre-pay route then surely an extra 20c every so often won't hurt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

OP, if you have evidence that they are assaulting 'the most vulnerable', then I suggest you contact the relevant authorities.

Out of interest, who do you consider 'the most vulnerable' to be? Homeless? Drug addicts? The unemployed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Paddy Constable

OP, if you have evidence that they are assaulting 'the most vulnerable', then I suggest you contact the relevant authorities.

Out of interest, who do you consider 'the most vulnerable' to be? Homeless? Drug addicts? The unemployed?

Easy Arthur ....the guy is absolutely on the money !

The prepay electricity is attractive to the less well paid...as such they are vulnerable and are gouged for the extra percentage.

Bringing the homeless and drug addicts into it ..just let let's you down Dude and is a complete red herring.

Man up pal and quit talking rubbish....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Easy Arthur ....the guy is absolutely on the money !

The prepay electricity is attractive to the less well paid...as such they are vulnerable and are gouged for the extra percentage.

Bringing the homeless and drug addicts into it ..just let let's you down Dude and is a complete red herring.

Man up pal and quit talking rubbish....

So they haven't been assaulted. Misleading post.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 george tobin

There is no extra charge with electric ireland! Don't know about other providers but 30% seems a bit excessive

billie1b wrote: »
    Between shopping around different stores to find the cheapest, yes, Supervalu is not that cheap compared to others for the same product. Would be one of the most expensive around. Also in my local store there's about 75% of the workforce that are under 18 so they only have to pay them €6 per hour.
    Paying cheap and overpricing to maximise profits, Not the only ones doing though.

Right so but your assertion that they have over inflated prices for everything is wrong though, and they are paying the going rate to inexperienced staff, whats the issue with that? Should 16 and 17 year olds be paid €10 an hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Right so but your assertion that they have over inflated prices for everything is wrong though, and they are paying the going rate to inexperienced staff, whats the issue with that? Should 16 and 17 year olds be paid €10 an hour?

If they are paying €10 an hour to people over 18 from day 1, then yes.

If they are paying €10 an hour to people over 18 from day 1, then yes.

We will disagree then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

I've a pre pay system but it's fitted by the ESB and my electric is provided by airtricity. I'm paying a little less than my bills were. I pay using their app and I get no surcharge.

I know of a local shop that only takes cash for top sales of electric and gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

They only take cash because a card would cost them 25c to process and they make 15c on the top up.. .meaning they would lose 10c each time.

This is the reason must shops charge between 25-50c per card transaction on this service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement