Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registration plate numbers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Why not then just get a group of interested people, put together a rational suggestion, and rational reasons why there should be the re-issue (or what ever) of number plates to suit older cars.
    Remember that it can only apply to cars prior to 1987 as there obviously was a complete change at that time. Stating that some 1987 cars are 'classic' and deserve special status will only confuse the issue.
    Then simply lobby the minister or govt department that deals with this.
    The IVVCC did it successfully with the ZV system, and at present they are in talks regarding DOE status for older commercials.
    It's pointless having endless debate on here, and elsewhere about number plates, and what should be done.
    I should point out, that some of the cars I own were never offered for sale in this country when new, so I really don't care what plates they have, so long as they are legal. I must also point out that, a number of years ago I was on a trip to France, in my car, and the number plate was commented on. I explained what it meant, Year, District and Number. the usual reply was...'What a brilliant system, so simple', never a mention of 'period plates'.
    I will agree that having a ZV plate on a car from 1906 and a car from 1976 is simply stupid, but that is the system we have, and possibly at the time it was not taught through what should have been done.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Yes but if it was Japan, Australia, America of Switzerland (or Germany, or the UK), the three imported cars would not have inferior plates to the original one and, whether they were the same as modern car reg's in their respective countries, or all old ones, like Historischer plates (Germany), or Historic Vehicle plates (most US states), they would all be from the same series, and have a reasonable amount of characters in the sequence.

You can call it mundane, but if you're showing a car, the devil is in the detail… ;)

If the devil is in the detail, one of these Fulvias should be sent to the crusher !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

swarlb wrote: »
    I honestly could not care less what the number plate was, for me it's the car that matters.
    With all respect, given the above, why are you posting here? Fine, you're not interested in the details, but what's with trying to convince other people they are wrong to care?

Dades wrote: »
    With all respect, given the above, why are you posting here? Fine, you're not interested in the details, but what's with trying to convince other people they are wrong to care?

Because the car is more important than the plate. If a Ferrari 250GTO has a plate from Ireland, England, Greece or Rome, it is still a Ferrari 250GTO. The plate cannot diminish the car. While I agree that to some eyes, certain things do not 'look' right, it depend entirely where you are from, when looking at it, which is why I posted the photo of the Fulvias.
    But the endless debate of who, where, why and what should be done is getting tedious.
    For a Classic Car forum, there is very little debate on Cars themselves, and way too much on the mundane.
    I'm sure plenty of people on here would prefer to see topics on older car maintenance, or restoration, or the skills available, instead of every thread being about 'number plates' or 'NCT's for older cars, or 'classics not worth buying' on Donedeal.
    The choice we have is simple, ZV or Year, that's it. Maybe one day, it will change, but till it does, that's it.
    It was once pointed out to me in regards to one of my cars, that even if there was 'year designated plate' available, it would still be wrong to put one on my car, seeing as it was never offered here for sale in the first place, so it never would have had 'an original Irish plate'. I got the impression that, even if there was a system in place, there would still be people moaning about number plates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If you're not interested in a topic, don't read it. There's a whole thread titled "Granada Mk1 Coupe" which I haven't even clicked into as I've no interest in Granada Mk1 Coupes. Other folk like them and it's great to see people just using the forum.

Not talking about number plates and NCTs won't magically make way for the appearance of interesting threads on maintenance or restoration so forgive me if I ignore that red herring. :)

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    If you're not interested in a topic, don't read it. There's a whole thread titled "Granada Mk1 Coupe" which I haven't even clicked into as I've no interest in Granada Mk1 Coupes. Other folk like them and it's great to see people just using the forum.

Not talking about number plates and NCTs won't magically make way for the appearance of interesting threads on maintenance or restoration so forgive me if I ignore that red herring. :)

I suppose....but going by post #16 on this topic, it seems that in 10 odd years, people are still discussing number plates.
    I was not aware of placing a 'red herring' among the topic, trust me, I'm not that clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

swarlb wrote: »
    Because the car is more important than the plate. If a Ferrari 250GTO has a plate from Ireland, England, Greece or Rome, it is still a Ferrari 250GTO. The plate cannot diminish the car. While I agree that to some eyes, certain things do not 'look' right, it depend entirely where you are from, when looking at it, which is why I posted the photo of the Fulvias.
    But the endless debate of who, where, why and what should be done is getting tedious.
    For a Classic Car forum, there is very little debate on Cars themselves, and way too much on the mundane.
    I'm sure plenty of people on here would prefer to see topics on older car maintenance, or restoration, or the skills available, instead of every thread being about 'number plates' or 'NCT's for older cars, or 'classics not worth buying' on Donedeal.
    The choice we have is simple, ZV or Year, that's it. Maybe one day, it will change, but till it does, that's it.
    It was once pointed out to me in regards to one of my cars, that even if there was 'year designated plate' available, it would still be wrong to put one on my car, seeing as it was never offered here for sale in the first place, so it never would have had 'an original Irish plate'. I got the impression that, even if there was a system in place, there would still be people moaning about number plates.

FWIW I posted the original question, simply asking what the difference was, if any, on a 74 D 1234 and a ZV plate and why there seems to be two different systems in operation for registration plates on classics. I know some threads go off on a tangent, but what's the harm in that, apart from the fact that the original query/question rarely gets answered and is lost in the debate.

Didn't expect such a torrent of interest or debate, but that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

As far as I know, and I'm not in the IVVCC but they do work away behind the scenes on behalf of classic car enthusiasts and updated vintage registrations.

This post from 2012
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79984091&postcount=30

Advertisement