Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the US advice

Options
  • 12-07-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭

I am moving to the US (California) in a little under two weeks and am just hoping for some advice. I am moving on an F1 visa.

Firstly, I will want to get an American phone. Is it possible to get a contract since I don't have a credit rating there? What is the best thing to do?

When it comes to buying a car, can I drive on my Irish licence or do I need to take their driving test? Also, does anybody know anything about car insurance and if my Irish licence is okay when it comes to that aspect?

Banking information appreciated too! What do I need to open an account and how do people generally transfer money from Ireland? I know I transferred from my AIB account to a Wells Fargo account in the past and there was a pretty heft charge for both parties.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you are going to be a California resident, you'll need to get a California drivers license. You can drive on your Irish one, if you are just visiting, but if you become a resident, you'll need to get a CA license.

Info from the CA Dept of Motor Vecicles here

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500

You can buy a car no problem, but you'll have a hard time getting car insurance and registering it with a foreign license.

Opening a bank account is easy. As long as you have your social security number and a couple of pieces of government issued photo ID, you'll be fine. Depending on the bank, you may or may not be asked to provide proof of address in the form of a household bill or a lease. If you didn't get a social security number with your visa application, applying for one should be the first thing you do when you get there. Google should tell you where your local Dept of Social Security Administration is.

If your credit rating is poor, you'll probably be asked to pay up front deposits/fees to get a long term phone contract. Consider doing a pay as you go plan for the first 6-12 months or so, while you work to build up your credit rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

With regards to the phone, I am with AT&T. They said i could do bill pay but since i had no credit rating i would need to pay a deposit of $150 or $200, i can't remember the exact amount.
    Instead i just went with the prepay option. So i pay $60 a month for unlimited free calls and txt to any USA number and 2.5GB data. There is a similar offer for $45 a month with 500MB data i think

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

When it comes to buying a car, your credit rating will really affect your interest rate (unless you buy it outright, of course). If you do plan to make payments, the best rates I've ever seen outside of manufacturers' 0% promos are the rates from www.penfed.org

I've used them for my last three cars, all purchased used, and right now I have a 0.9% interest rate for 48 months. Anyone can join penfed by signing up as a military family supporter for $20.

If you don't qualify because of non-existent credit, take the best you can get from a bank or dealer and then refinance it as soon as your credit rating shows up with a decent number. www.creditkarma.com is a handy place to get your rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Thanks a million for all the advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Getting a US drivers license is usually a fast and easy process.

You go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), and it can usually be done in a few hours, that includes waiting. Buy a copy of the California rules of the road and read if beforehand and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Getting a US drivers license is usually a fast and easy process.

You go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), and it can usually be done in a few hours, that includes waiting. Buy a copy of the California rules of the road and read if beforehand and you'll be fine.

The OP specifically mentioned California so that is probably reasonable advice, however rules vary widely from state to state so anyone else reading this should be aware of that. In PA you can't buy a car without a licence and you can't get a licence unless you have a legal presence of 1 year on your visa you also need to pass a theory test and a driving test, which means you need access to a car which you can't legally buy unless you have a drivers licence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I went through it in CA. You cannot transfer over your European License to US - you need to go through the whole process. There is not "Waiting time" on your visa - as long as you have a visa and print out of when it is valid to (used to be stapled in your passport) you'll be fine. You cannot buy a car without an american license. If you really need wheels, i'd recommend renting a car for a couple of weeks until you get your american license - you'll need a car anyway to pass the practical test.

First you need to do your theory test - pretty easy...can do it at the DMV- just set up an appointment on their website, usually there is no waiting.
    Then there is the 15 minute practical drive around the block - pretty straight forward, but the rules are slightly different so i'd recommend taking one or two lessons to get used to the driving style

I went through it in CA. You cannot transfer over your European License to US - you need to go through the whole process. There is not "Waiting time" on your visa - as long as you have a visa and print out of when it is valid to (used to be stapled in your passport) you'll be fine. You cannot buy a car without an american license. If you really need wheels, i'd recommend renting a car for a couple of weeks until you get your american license - you'll need a car anyway to pass the practical test.

First you need to do your theory test - pretty easy...can do it at the DMV- just set up an appointment on their website, usually there is no waiting.
    Then there is the 15 minute practical drive around the block - pretty straight forward, but the rules are slightly different so i'd recommend taking one or two lessons to get used to the driving style

Yeah, my visa is stuck to a page in my passport so I have it and it's valid for a few years so that's no problem. :) My boyfriend lives in the US and has a car so I won't be totally stuck for transport for a while. I wonder if his insurance company would allow me on his policy so that I could take the test in his car? Must have him call to check.

I have driven quite a lot in California in the past so I'm somewhat familiar with the rules but good idea on taking a couple of lessons, even just to get used to being on the other side of the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Are you sure about that part?

I'm moving to the States next month (CA also as it happens) and on my last trip there (June) I bought a car. I had no issues buying it and never was prompted for a license. It was a private sale though, the bill of sale and notice of release of liability have no reference to a drivers license on them...

You can't transfer the official title in PA without a drivers licence, don't know about CA.

Also OP insurance is different over here, there's no named driver stuff, the car is insured as long as you have the policy holders permission to drive it and a valid licence. That's almost universally true unless he has some super cheap insurance policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Same in New Jersey, you need a license to register and insure a car. Once insured, anyone with a valid driver's license can drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

It's very state dependent, no bother buying a car in Tx without a license and you can drive for a year on an Irish one.

spideog7 wrote: »

Also OP insurance is different over here, there's no named driver stuff, the car is insured as long as you have the policy holders permission to drive it and a valid licence. That's almost universally true unless he has some super cheap insurance policy.

You know he did actually mention he thought that was how his car insurance worked before so that would be really great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

My insurance company (Progressive) has told me that anyone can drive my car as long as it is for 12 days out of the year or less. Also, if they live with me for several months at a time, they have to be a named driver on the insurance. I would check with the insurance company in question. The last thing you want is to be liable!

lil_lisa wrote: »
    My insurance company (Progressive) has told me that anyone can drive my car as long as it is for 12 days out of the year or less. Also, if they live with me for several months at a time, they have to be a named driver on the insurance. I would check with the insurance company in question. The last thing you want is to be liable!

With a lot of companies in fact you're obliged to include anyone in your household with a drivers licence on your insurance regardless of whether or not they ever intended to drive your car. Also unlike Ireland young females have much higher insurance rates than young males. But I digress...

Novella wrote: »
    Yeah, my visa is stuck to a page in my passport so I have it and it's valid for a few years so that's no problem. :) My boyfriend lives in the US and has a car so I won't be totally stuck for transport for a while. I wonder if his insurance company would allow me on his policy so that I could take the test in his car? Must have him call to check.

I have driven quite a lot in California in the past so I'm somewhat familiar with the rules but good idea on taking a couple of lessons, even just to get used to being on the other side of the road!

It's stupid things...I know Irish people that have been caught out by stupid rules (going too slow in the freeway slow lane, parking opposite to traffic) I even got caught by a cop (and let off with a friendly warning) because when I was turning across a road I didn't pull out into the middle instead of staying behind the lights until it cleared.

It's kinda worth the money - the tutors are used to teaching 16 year old kids how to pass their tests - so they are actually pretty good (if you are in SF bay area I can give you some recommendations)

It's stupid things...I know Irish people that have been caught out by stupid rules (going too slow in the freeway slow lane, parking opposite to traffic) I even got caught by a cop (and let off with a friendly warning) because when I was turning across a road I didn't pull out into the middle instead of staying behind the lights until it cleared.

It's kinda worth the money - the tutors are used to teaching 16 year old kids how to pass their tests - so they are actually pretty good (if you are in SF bay area I can give you some recommendations)

I know, I got a ticket for parking facing the wrong way on a street in LA! :P I didn't realise that you have to park facing the way traffic moves because here you can park facing any which way!

I am moving to Sacramento but thank you. :)

Turning right on a red light is worth remembering mainly because people behind you will get impatient if you dont.

spideog7 wrote: »
    which means you need access to a car which you can't legally buy unless you have a drivers licence...

You can always rent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Turning right on a red light is worth remembering mainly because people behind you will get impatient if you dont.

And not sitting in the right hand lane if you are going straight ahead, coz you are blocking cars who want to turn right on red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I know, I got a ticket for parking facing the wrong way on a street in LA! :P I didn't realise that you have to park facing the way traffic moves because here you can park facing any which way!

Where I am, the street parking is "Pay and display". You get a ticket if you don't display on the curb side window. Any other window is unacceptable :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

ProudDUB wrote: »
    And not sitting in the right hand lane if you are going straight ahead, coz you are blocking cars who want to turn right on red.

Remember you have to STOP on a turn right on red, not just slow down and turn. My wife got a ticket once for not stopping completely before doing a turn right on red.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Remember you have to STOP on a turn right on red, not just slow down and turn. My wife got a ticket once for not stopping completely before doing a turn right on red.

The turn on red rule is great but nobody here ever stops before turning. As a regular pedestrian it drives me nuts, because they only ever watch for cars never for pedestrians crossing on the other side.

I've never seen parking direction enforced around here, not in residential areas anyway.

FatherTed wrote: »

Though I successfully challenged a ticket...a camera caught me and from the time stamp I proved that I had stopped for a full five seconds before turning right, and got the footage to prove there was no traffic coming. In reality, between time off work, getting the other camera footage and the sheer inconvenience of going to traffic court, it would have been cheaper to pay the fine...but damn it, I was right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Also what a lot of people don't realise is that you can turn left on a red light when turning from a one-way street to another one-way street. At least, that's legal in CA, not sure about other states.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Also what a lot of people don't realise is that you can turn left on a red light when turning from a one-way street to another one-way street. At least, that's legal in CA, not sure about other states.

Also true in GA. I've driven around an entire city block only making left turns on red. It's the little things ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 rossy1044

Thats funny we moved to Sacramento in March and we've havent met any other Irish people. Its a great place send us on any questions you have.

If your current phone is unlocked you can go to many of the providers and they will give you a SIM. T-Mobile and Metro PCs seem to be the cheapest. They will also both sell you a non contract phone if you need it.

Make an appointment at the DMV as soon as you get here and do the theory test and you will get a 3 month provisional licence. The actual road test is really easy here compared to Ireland. Other than changing lane and making turns the only manouver I had to make was pull in and reverse in a straight line.

We opened bank accounts the day we got here and it was no hassle. Can you withdraw the money and bring the cash to avoid charges.

Do you know where you are moving to in Sac? The midtown area is really nice with loads of bars and restaurants and is also quite walkable which is unusual for a Californian city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Also true in GA. I've driven around an entire city block only making left turns on red. It's the little things ;)

The turn on red rule varies by state. In NY it is allowed only if the is a sign saying so while in NJ and PA it is allowed unless the is a sign prohibiting it. !!

pgmcpq wrote: »
    The turn on red rule varies by state. In NY it is allowed only if the is a sign saying so while in NJ and PA it is allowed unless the is a sign prohibiting it. !!

The one you have to watch for are the illuminated 'No turn on red' signs that give you a few seconds to turn them come on half way through the red light (just as you're looking to make sure there is nothing coming or no pedestrians crossing) or the ones that day "No turn on red between the hours of... " then you have to check your watch to see what time it is!

I only know one intersection where you can do a left turn on red and inevitably the person in front of me doesn't realise it!

• Advertisement

rossy1044 wrote: »
    Thats funny we moved to Sacramento in March and we've havent met any other Irish people. Its a great place send us on any questions you have.

If your current phone is unlocked you can go to many of the providers and they will give you a SIM. T-Mobile and Metro PCs seem to be the cheapest. They will also both sell you a non contract phone if you need it.

Make an appointment at the DMV as soon as you get here and do the theory test and you will get a 3 month provisional licence. The actual road test is really easy here compared to Ireland. Other than changing lane and making turns the only manouver I had to make was pull in and reverse in a straight line.

We opened bank accounts the day we got here and it was no hassle. Can you withdraw the money and bring the cash to avoid charges.

Do you know where you are moving to in Sac? The midtown area is really nice with loads of bars and restaurants and is also quite walkable which is unusual for a Californian city.

My current phone isn't unlocked. I tried to get an unlocking code from Meteor on four separate occasions but it never happened. It's really old anyway so it's not the worst thing in the world having to get a new one. :)

I have a student bank account so I can withdraw cash and use my card abroad for free so it's no problem. I just need a US bank account because AIB constantly lock my account when they see my card being used other places and obviously for being paid into etc. Did you not need proof of address and stuff to open an account there, and if you don't mind me asking, what bank did you choose?

Not sure of the area yet, but will be on a major house hunt next week!

Advertisement