Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the US advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 rossy1044

Novella wrote: »
    My current phone isn't unlocked. I tried to get an unlocking code from Meteor on four separate occasions but it never happened. It's really old anyway so it's not the worst thing in the world having to get a new one. :)

I have a student bank account so I can withdraw cash and use my card abroad for free so it's no problem. I just need a US bank account because AIB constantly lock my account when they see my card being used other places and obviously for being paid into etc. Did you not need proof of address and stuff to open an account there, and if you don't mind me asking, what bank did you choose?

Not sure of the area yet, but will be on a major house hunt next week!

We didn't have to show any proof of address to open the account but we did have to bring passport and provide a social security number. We went to the Bank of America downtown at about 10am and they set up the accounts in about 30mins.

We mainly used Craigslist and Trulia to look for places but if you walk around midtown / downtown you will come across loads of for rent signs with numbers to call.

Can I ask why you chose to move to Sacramento? You'll be getting asked it a lot when you get here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Banks work differently in the US.

You'll get hundreds of different banks to choose from. Usually local "credit unions" (I think they may be non-profits) are the best for having the lowest fees etc. I'd always recommend one of those over one of the Big Banks. Much better service too.

rossy1044 wrote: »
    Can I ask why you chose to move to Sacramento? You'll be getting asked it a lot when you get here!

A good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Haha yes. Sacramento because my boyfriend is actually from the US and has some family living in the area we'd like to be close to. Worked out fine for me with the college I'd chosen too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Sacramento is actually a great town - i've been up there from the bay area a few times, and there is enough to keep you occupied. Sometimes, if we can't get tickets for shows here, they play Sac, and it's pretty easy to drive up there.

Also...it's 2 hours (ish) from Tahoe, and on the 5 to head north/south. I know a couple of people that live there and commute to the bay area every day.

Actually, i can't figure out why we DON'T live there! (except for my job in South San Francisco)

• Advertisement

Haha yes. Sacramento because my boyfriend is actually from the US and has some family living in the area we'd like to be close to. Worked out fine for me with the college I'd chosen too. :)

Yeah my sister was here so that was partly why we moved. The cost of living is pretty great here. For example you can usually eat out for 10 dollars and you can usually get a drink for 2 or 3 dollars. You can probably get somewhere in the midtown area for 650 - 1000 dollars a month. The heat is probably the main negative it can be pretty unbearable, gonna be 37 for the next 4 days :(

If you like sports check out xoso sports. The do loads of different casual co-ed sports which are pretty fun.

Are you going to Sac State or Davis?

Sacramento is actually a great town - i've been up there from the bay area a few times, and there is enough to keep you occupied. Sometimes, if we can't get tickets for shows here, they play Sac, and it's pretty easy to drive up there.

Also...it's 2 hours (ish) from Tahoe, and on the 5 to head north/south. I know a couple of people that live there and commute to the bay area every day.

Actually, i can't figure out why we DON'T live there! (except for my job in South San Francisco)

The worst thing I find about Sac is that no bands ever play here :( Its really weird because its a large enough city. I think part of the problem is that the few I have went to there usually is only a tiny crowd.

The cost of going out in San Fran compared to Sacramento is insane. We were down the other week and my other half ordered a glass of wine in a bar and they said it cost 12 dollars. Were used to getting a pint and a glass of wine for 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

I am moving to LA in September myself for two years or so. Is there much of an Irish community in LA?

Yeah, I've flown into SF a few times and driven to Sacramento (when we were checking the area out and I was visiting the school etc.) and it is not a bad drive at all.

Originally I wasn't keen on the idea but when I actually visited I loved the place!
    rossy1044 wrote: »
    Yeah my sister was here so that was partly why we moved. The cost of living is pretty great here. For example you can usually eat out for 10 dollars and you can usually get a drink for 2 or 3 dollars. You can probably get somewhere in the midtown area for 650 - 1000 dollars a month. The heat is probably the main negative it can be pretty unbearable, gonna be 37 for the next 4 days :(

If you like sports check out xoso sports. The do loads of different casual co-ed sports which are pretty fun.

Are you going to Sac State or Davis?

Yeah, I was expecting the rent to be crazy like it is over here but from what I've seen on Trulia and stuff, we'll be able to get a pretty good place for less than $1,000.

Going to Davis! :)

Yeah, I've flown into SF a few times and driven to Sacramento (when we were checking the area out and I was visiting the school etc.) and it is not a bad drive at all.

Originally I wasn't keen on the idea but when I actually visited I loved the place!

Yeah, I was expecting the rent to be crazy like it is over here but from what I've seen on Trulia and stuff, we'll be able to get a pretty good place for less than $1,000.

Going to Davis! :)

Yeah 1000 should get you a nice place in the city. You can get really nice places in the suburbs for cheaper but theirs not much going on out there. I actually wasn't completely sold on Sacramento from visiting but its great once you get to know the area. I work in UC Davis! Its great at the moment as the areas so quiet since school is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Here's a cool time lapse video of the Sacramento area - http://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/90509954

Does anybody know what would be the cheapest way for me to transfer money? I have an AIB account and here in the US I have a Wells Fargo account but the guy in the bank told me that I would be charged $60 to accept an international transfer. I'd rather not pay that on top of paying a charge to AIB.

Any ideas?

Eugh. Wells Fargo are the absolute worst.

They will hang on to your cash for up to four or five days so they can make as much as possible before releasing it to you. My GF has Wells Fargo and I have a Non-profit bank account. My transfers go through in hours, her's take days. Its disgusting really, they're making money off the interest while denying you access.

I had a work colleague once who had his pay check with him while we were at a conference in Nevada and he made the mistake of depositing his check in a Wells Fargo in Nevada (He was a wells fargo customer) and they kept his cash for over five days. Unbelievable.

Does anybody know what would be the cheapest way for me to transfer money? I have an AIB account and here in the US I have a Wells Fargo account but the guy in the bank told me that I would be charged $60 to accept an international transfer. I'd rather not pay that on top of paying a charge to AIB.

Any ideas?

If its going to be a regular thing i'd look into a community bank/credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

FatherTed wrote: »
    Remember you have to STOP on a turn right on red, not just slow down and turn. My wife got a ticket once for not stopping completely before doing a turn right on red.

My friend got a $500 fine last week for this in CA.

I've had a ticket for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign too.

They're very strict about coming to a complete stop.

Any ideas?

Try Xoom.com

I use them all the time, and they are quick and cheap ($10) however, just check the exchange rate is OK for you

Try Xoom.com

I use them all the time, and they are quick and cheap ($10) however, just check the exchange rate is OK for you

Maybe I am being totally stupid here, but in the menu where it asks where you want to send money to, the US isn't listed as an option.

no you're not - i misread and thought you were wanting to send it the other way

sorry :)

no you're not - i misread and thought you were wanting to send it the other way

sorry :)

No problem. :)

Maybe I'll try using PayPal because the bank charges are just ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

No problem. :)

Maybe I'll try using PayPal because the bank charges are just ridiculous!

currencyfair is the way to go it $4 to send a transfer and the rates are far better than the bank. I went to the bank today to get their rate as im moving myself next week to the states. The banks rate was 1.29 and currenyfair was at 1.33 considering ill be moving a lot of dollars id loose around $500 in their rate alone if i was to use the bank. Dont use paypal either their rates of exchange are even worse than the banks. Currencyfair is the way to go its quick and easy.

Advertisement