Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

electronics for primary school

• 13-07-2014 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

hi,
    i'm a primary school teacher and i'm looking to set up an after school club where our lads can go and get experience in STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) projects so i'm in the hunt for resources to use. can anyone here recommend things or websites where i could go to to buy stuff?? i've just read about ardunio in the past 10 mins, is this something 11 - 13 year olds could use?? i'm hoping to have a budget of a few hundred euro available.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

few ideas here :

http://proto-pic.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks for the reply gctest, sorry for not replying sooner but was away on hols.

have you used ardunio before?? and if so is it the kind of thing you can bulk buy and use over and over again?? want to try and make sure the stuff i buy can be reused if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

bungaro79 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply gctest, sorry for not replying sooner but was away on hols.

have you used ardunio before?? and if so is it the kind of thing you can bulk buy and use over and over again?? want to try and make sure the stuff i buy can be reused if possible

You can buy them cheap and they can be programmed over and over. You could build up circuits on breadboards so everything would be reusable.

Are you looking to teach soldering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Have a look at this also ...... lots of projects designed specifically for school-goers .......

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

yeah i've heard about rasberry pi and it definitely looks like an option. and as for soldering, i'd love to do it but i've never done it myself before. would it be doable with 6th class students do you think??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

bungaro79 wrote: »
    yeah i've heard about rasberry pi and it definitely looks like an option. and as for soldering, i'd love to do it but i've never done it myself before. would it be doable with 6th class students do you think??

I think they'd be well able for it. You could get some blinking LED circuit PCBs done up with a 555 timer and run through the workings of it before assembling the boards with them

would they need safety equipment for the soldering?? and where would you buy the equipment you were on about chet??

Advertisement