Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Ireland to England need help:)

Options
  • 13-07-2014 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey..
    I'm thinking of moving to Manchester soon and would love some information regarding accommodation,etc..
    1) what part of Manchester is good to live in that's cheap and has a good commute system?
    2) how much would someone generally need to bring with them money wise, minimum amount please ?
    3) any other info is greatly appreciated
    Thank you :):)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hi irishgalz, it won't answer all your questions as some sections are very London-specific, but there's a FAQ in the London subforum that has a lot of useful advice about moving to the UK from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

I'm moving to Manchester as well. Moving on July 28th. Nervous but excited about it too. My main worry is how long should it take to get a bank account sorted and national insurance number as all I'll have for ID will be my Passport and Irish age card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    I'm moving to Manchester as well. Moving on July 28th. Nervous but excited about it too. My main worry is how long should it take to get a bank account sorted and national insurance number as all I'll have for ID will be my Passport and Irish age card.

You can sort an NI number before you go. Lloyds Bank give out accounts to anyone as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

You can sort an NI number before you go. Lloyds Bank give out accounts to anyone as well.

What is the best way I get the N.I number sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    What is the best way I get the N.I number sorted?

You've been misinformed - You can't get a UK N.I. number unless you have a UK address. Neither do Lloyds bank "give out accounts to anyone", although you shouldn't have a problem openong a bank account if you've got a UK address and a job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Long Gone wrote: »
    You've been misinformed - You can't get a UK N.I. number unless you have a UK address. Neither do Lloyds bank "give out accounts to anyone", although you shouldn't have a problem openong a bank account if you've got a UK address and a job.

I got an account my first day living in Oxford. Any other bank wanted proof of address and I hadn't sorted accommodation out. Lloyds only asked to see my passport.

Regarding the NI number, it's a piece of advice that's often given out here. I got mine very easily but it was after I moved. It only took 1 appointment and 1 form.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

I got my NI number over the phone but you do need an address, can you use a friends or relatives until your on your feet ?

I was able to get a LLoyds account within my first month in the UK all i needed was my passport and a named letter to said address which was an amazon receipt

Use Citizens advise if you are worried about anything they give over the phone advice at certain hours during the week, they can help with most issues.

Bring enough money as you can of course but try not go mental when first arriving it amazing how much you can spend when you have googly eyes on after you first move.

Id also recommend signing up to free cycle and such as it can be a great benefit not just for items you made need but meeting people.

Main thing....... Dont stay home and worry about home sickness go out meet people talk chat and have the craic and good luck in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 irishgalz

Thanks for all your help guys! Does anyone have advice on good areas to live in, and also would we better in a house share or a beds it? We just want something cheap & cheerful until we're set up 😕

The northern quarter is nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

irishgalz wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help guys! Does anyone have advice on good areas to live in, and also would we better in a house share or a beds it? We just want something cheap & cheerful until we're set up 😕
    Renting prices are fairly cheap in Manchester, in general. Have a look around Chorlton, Withington and Didsbury for reasonably priced places - also check spareroom.co.uk for houseshares.

I'd steer clear of Moss Side, Hulme and Ancoats, but apart from that, most of Manchester's quite nice.

• Advertisement

brummytom wrote: »
    Renting prices are fairly cheap in Manchester, in general. Have a look around Chorlton, Withington and Didsbury for reasonably priced places - also check spareroom.co.uk for houseshares.

I'd steer clear of Moss Side, Hulme and Ancoats, but apart from that, most of Manchester's quite nice.

I'd add Wythenshawe to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

brummytom wrote: »

Hulme and Ancoats seemed pretty ok to me, have lots of friends who lived in both and never had any problems.

I admit they're inner city areas with all the urban issues and 'characters' you'll find in any city but never felt unsafe to me and I used to walk around both at 3 or 4 in the morning without any trouble, they're both actually very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I'd add Wythenshawe to that list.

So would I - Sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grandpart

thank you @Mean Laqueefa and @brummytom helped me too...

As for an apartment (i just relocated (half a year ago)) and found that its best to find a flatshare.
    checkout roommatesuk.com where you can find some great roomates

Also - i second @NoCrackHaving remark.. "Hulme and Ancoats seemed pretty ok to me"

Hope this helps ;)

Advertisement