Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First color kits not being worn enough in World Cup 2014.

• 13-07-2014 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I've noticed that throughout World Cup 2014, many teams have worn away kits or else an altered version of their home kit even though there was really no clash with the opposing teams kit.

For example, last night Brazil wore white shorts instead of blue ones which is their proper first color kit. While the Netherlands wore their away kit - how the hell can orange clash with blue/yellow/white?

Also, I think all players should have to wear only black boot and there should be an end to those gaudy clown colored boots.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Did you see what happened the last time Brazil wore their famous blue shorts and yelllow top?

The current team were lucky not to be sent out with sack cloth jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

There's a light / dark rule, that's been in effect for donkey's years. It was initially because of black and white tv's. God knows why we still need it .

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Footoo wrote: »
    There's a light / dark rule, that's been in effect for donkey's years. It was initially because of black and white tv's. God knows why we still need it .

Colourblind viewers maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

FIFA have got really strict about ensuring that countries wear entirely light or entirely dark kits - shirts, socks, socks. For example, in the case of Adidas:

Current Argentina home kit now has white shorts, not black.
    Current Germany home kit now has white shorts, not black.
    Current Spain home kit now has red shorts, not blue.
    Current Colombia home kit now has white shorts, not blue.
    Current Japan home kit now has blue shorts, not white.
    Current Bosnia home kit now has blue shorts, not white.

Puma have followed in the case of Italy (all blue) and Switzerland (all red), while all their African teams wear already following the rule. Cameroon wore dark green with red shorts but technically both are 'dark' colours. Nike have followed for England (all white), USA (all white), and the Netherlands (all orange). Portugal and Greece have been wearing one colour kits for a while now.

The only countries I can think of who haven't followed this rule and have mixed light and dark have been Brazil (yellow/blue/white), Mexico (green/white/red), Australia (yellow/green/yellow) and France (navy/white/red), but even then Brazil have been made wear white shorts twice and France have worn navy shorts too. I think Mexico had to wear black shorts for one game too, as did Australia with yellow shorts.

The most ridiculous example was Netherlands v Spain, where Netherlands wore their all blue away jersey but Spain weren't allowed wear their all red home jersey or their all black away. The all white jersey Spain wore isn't available for purchase and had never been seen before that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Anyone know why they are so strict on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Footoo wrote: »

I wonder is there still a reaonable percentage of people in the poorer parts of Africa/SouthAmerica who watch on b&w TVs, or basic 1980s colour sets with limited contrast.
    If that figure was even around 2% of viewers then you'd have to say its good that the light/dark rule is still enforced.

It could be for the match officials benefit, no idea. Ruined some classic kits though - hate seeing Spain in red shorts and Germany in white shorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

FIFA have got really strict about ensuring that countries wear entirely light or entirely dark kits - shirts, socks, socks. For example, in the case of Adidas:

Current Argentina home kit now has white shorts, not black.
    Current Germany home kit now has white shorts, not black.
    Current Spain home kit now has red shorts, not blue.
    Current Colombia home kit now has white shorts, not blue.
    Current Japan home kit now has blue shorts, not white.
    Current Bosnia home kit now has blue shorts, not white.

Puma have followed in the case of Italy (all blue) and Switzerland (all red), while all their African teams wear already following the rule. Cameroon wore dark green with red shorts but technically both are 'dark' colours. Nike have followed for England (all white), USA (all white), and the Netherlands (all orange). Portugal and Greece have been wearing one colour kits for a while now.

The only countries I can think of who haven't followed this rule and have mixed light and dark have been Brazil (yellow/blue/white), Mexico (green/white/red), Australia (yellow/green/yellow) and France (navy/white/red), but even then Brazil have been made wear white shorts twice and France have worn navy shorts too. I think Mexico had to wear black shorts for one game too, as did Australia with yellow shorts.

The most ridiculous example was Netherlands v Spain, where Netherlands wore their all blue away jersey but Spain weren't allowed wear their all red home jersey or their all black away. The all white jersey Spain wore isn't available for purchase and had never been seen before that game.

You have gotten Brazil and Colombia mixed up Brazil have been wearing yellow and white and Colombia still wearing yellow and blue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I was going to start a subject along these line but it seemed too much of a non-issue, so I didn't bother until now.

However, in this WC there seemed to be no logic or consistency when it comes to deciding what kit (or kit parts) teams wore. At a glance it seems like decisions were made as follows. (1) The 'home' team gets to wear their home colours. (2) The away team must then change. (3) The away team now gets to keep their 'correct' away combo (ie shorts shirt and socks). (4) If there's still any clashes at this point the home team now has to change some part of their kit (either shorts or socks).

However, taking that into account, then look at France v Switzerland ([url] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_E [/url])where France wore the 'correct' away combination, which was then followed by France v Ecuador where France now suddenly wore white away shorts. Following the logic I've set out it should have been Ecuador wearing white shorts. Not to mention Frances home blue shirts didn't even clash with Ecuador’s yellow to being with, so why the kit change for France to begin with? Sigh!

Then you have matches like Spain v Netherlands where both teams wore their away kit or Spain vs Australia where Spain wore their 3rd kit (even though there was no clash between Spain/Australia's home kits to begin with). I guess we can chalk that one up to marketing I suppose.

I don't mind the kit changes at WC's. If anything I like the variety in colour it gives to the spectacle. However I must admit I literally don't understand how the combinations for any particular game are arrived at anymore.

If anyone knows of an official 'rulebook' for it or something then I'd love to hear about it. However I'd guess at a glance (especially when I see two away colours playing each other) that the whole thing has become largely arbitrary at this point.

You have gotten Brazil and Colombia mixed up Brazil have been wearing yellow and white and Colombia still wearing yellow and blue

No the official home kit for Brazil is blue shorts, but they've been wearing their white away shorts often. The official home kit for Colombia is white shorts and their away shorts are navy. For the previous Adidas Colombia home kit it was navy shorts but now Adidas have all their teams - bar Mexico's home kit - wearing all light or all dark home and away kits.

• Advertisement

roanoke wrote: »
    I was going to start a subject along these line but it seemed too much of a non-issue, so I didn't bother until now.

However, in this WC there seemed to be no logic or consistency when it comes to deciding what kit (or kit parts) teams wore. At a glance it seems like decisions were made as follows. (1) The 'home' team gets to wear their home colours. (2) The away team must then change. (3) The away team now gets to keep their 'correct' away combo (ie shorts shirt and socks). (4) If there's still any clashes at this point the home team now has to change some part of their kit (either shorts or socks).

However, taking that into account, then look at France v Switzerland ([url] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_E [/url])where France wore the 'correct' away combination, which was then followed by France v Ecuador where France now suddenly wore white away shorts. Following the logic I've set out it should have been Ecuador wearing white shorts. Not to mention Frances home blue shirts didn't even clash with Ecuador’s yellow to being with, so why the kit change for France to begin with? Sigh!

Then you have matches like Spain v Netherlands where both teams wore their away kit or Spain vs Australia where Spain wore their 3rd kit (even though there was no clash between Spain/Australia's home kits to begin with). I guess we can chalk that one up to marketing I suppose.

I don't mind the kit changes at WC's. If anything I like the variety in colour it gives to the spectacle. However I must admit I literally don't understand how the combinations for any particular game are arrived at anymore.

If anyone knows of an official 'rulebook' for it or something then I'd love to hear about it. However I'd guess at a glance (especially when I see two away colours playing each other) that the whole thing has become largely arbitrary at this point.

It's all about making sure that each team is wearing either light or dark shirts and shorts only. The example you gave, had France wore the 'correct' away kit, would've meant blue shorts for one team and navy for the other. My guess is that the only reason France kept the navy shorts for Swiss game is because the Swiss red isn't too dark.

It's craziness. Brazil should've been wearing blue shorts the whole tournament and all red Spain kit looks awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

In the past, one team changed to their alternative kit if there was a clash. Now though it's just a mess.

When and why did players start wearing glowing orange/red/etc. boots? They look ridiculous.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement