Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone upgrade O2 !! [Threads Merged]

Options
  • 12-07-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

My mam is due an upgrade to her phone on O2 but she doesn't want a new one, so my dad said that I could get her upgrade even though I am not on O2, I am on Three.
    Will O2 let me get her upgrade even though I am not on O2? And how will I do it?

Please help!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

She can get the new phone and give it to you. You can port to o2 or get the phone unlocked so you can use the three sim card in it.

She will be entering a new contract to get the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Postoffice123

Davy wrote: »
    She can get the new phone and give it to you. You can port to o2 or get the phone unlocked so you can use the three sim card in it.

She will be entering a new contract to get the phone.

Ok but will the phone be automatically put on my moms number? How can she move her number back to her original phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Ok but will the phone be automatically put on my moms number? How can she move her number back to her original phone?

The number is tied to the SIM card. She keeps the SIM in her existing phone - no problem.

Richard wrote: »
    The number is tied to the SIM card. She keeps the SIM in her existing phone - no problem.

Ok that's great. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

It will come with a new sim. What she should normally do is contact O2 to transfer that no to her own. Her old sim would then be cancelled. But if you are taking the phone, you have 2 choices.

1 port to O2 yourself.

2 Get the new iphone unlocked and get a new sim from Meteor as your normal sim will not fit in the iphone.

• Advertisement

It will come with a new sim. What she should normally do is contact O2 to transfer that no to her own. Her old sim would then be cancelled. But if you are taking the phone, you have 2 choices.

1 port to O2 yourself.

2 Get the new iphone unlocked and get a new sim from Meteor as your normal sim will not fit in the iphone.

But will the new sim not have her original number on it? When she gets the new phone will the SIM card she receives have a different number?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

O2 are very unlikely to unlock a new iPhone. You will need to change to O2 to use it

Phone number is tied to sim card. When getting the phone just tell the store not to activate the new sim or deactivate the old sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

My mam is due an upgrade to her phone on O2 but she doesn't want a new one, so my dad said that I could get her upgrade even though I am not on O2, I am on Three.
    Will O2 let me get her upgrade even though I am not on O2? And how will I do it?

Please help!
    Thanks

Have you compared the cost of buying the phone unlocked online without tying your mother to a 2 yr overpriced contract which would work out at about €1200+

Have you compared the cost of buying the phone unlocked online without tying your mother to a 2 yr overpriced contract which would work out at about €1200+

1. I don't have the money and
    2. Both my parents are on the same contract and i don't even think they pay half that price per contract, they are on a good deal.

Please help!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nah, it'll be locked to o2 and they probably wont give you the network unlock code.

Your mam could take the new phone and give you hers as theyd unlock that.

ED E wrote: »
    Nah, it'll be locked to o2 and they probably wont give you the network unlock code.

Your mam could take the new phone and give you hers as theyd unlock that.

Could I not go into the O2 store and pay for an unlock code? I can't see why they wouldn't let me :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Could I not go into the O2 store and pay for an unlock code? I can't see why they wouldn't let me :/

They're subsidising the cost of the phone. No way they'll hand the unlock code over. The cost of an unlock is generally the cost of remaining months on contract

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just get the upgrade and wait until it can be unlocked (presumably it'll be a new phone you'll be getting) from the Chinese lads in the city Centre. Sorted.

rizzee wrote: »
    Just get the upgrade and wait until it can be unlocked (presumably it'll be a new phone you'll be getting) from the Chinese lads in the city Centre. Sorted.

Or could I just move to O2 and then I won't need to get the phone unlocked?

How long will it be until I can unlock it though?

Yep, you could move to O2 (even PAYG)and it'll work perfect.

Depends on the model of the phone, what are you looking to get? Most phones on the market can be unlocked at the moment.

Yep, you could move to O2 (even PAYG)and it'll work perfect.

Depends on the model of the phone, what are you looking to get? Most phones on the market can be unlocked at the moment.

Hoping to get the iphone5S haha :/

Yeah you can get them unlocked. There's much better phones on the market than the iphone but if that's what you want, go for it.

Yeah you can get them unlocked. There's much better phones on the market than the iphone but if that's what you want, go for it.

So can I get it unlocked straight away? Some people are saying I can't ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So can I get it unlocked straight away? Some people are saying I can't ..

You can, but there is a cost involved.

From a quick glance 5s's cost about £50 (€62) to get the NUC.

ED E wrote: »
    You can, but there is a cost involved.

From a quick glance 5s's cost about £50 (€62) to get the NUC.

Oh ok.. I wonder is there a place where I can get it unlocked for cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Oh ok.. I wonder is there a place where I can get it unlocked for cheaper?

Unlikely. Why not just move to O2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

She'd have yo go in to the store and do the upgrade, and can request the unlock code and she'll get it in under a month usually.

Or you could just move to O2 and do it that way, much easier.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Unlikely. Why not just move to O2

Three has a much better deal. Top up by €20 and you get free texts to any network, unlimited 4G internet, free calls to 3 and free calls to any network at the weekend. Does O2 have a deal like that or similar?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    She'd have yo go in to the store and do the upgrade, and can request the unlock code and she'll get it in under a month usually.

Or you could just move to O2 and do it that way, much easier.

I suppose, but three has much better cheaper deals in my opinion..I'm pretty sure you can do the upgrade through phone? Will they give out an unlock code though for the new phone? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Another thing to consider is that some iPhones in the UK are sold unlocked but programmed to lock to the network of the first SIM card that is inserted. It might be possible to research this online to see if it's the case for the phones supplied by O2 Ireland.

It is also possible to cut your existing SIM down to fit an iPhone. For an iPhone 5 onwards, this would do the trick:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351112660128

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd probably hold off doing anything just yet.

With the 3/O2 deal now done, there's likely to be changes in contracts, packages, add-ons etc

I'd sit tight for now and see what happens before committing to a new 18/24 month contract

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

With the 3/O2 deal now [done[/URL], there's likely to be changes in contracts, packages, add-ons etc

I'd sit tight for now and see what happens before committing to a new 18/24 month contract

In need of a new phone but if that would be for the best then I'll consider it I guess :/

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

With the 3/O2 deal now done[/URL], there's likely to be changes in contracts, packages, add-ons etc

Does this 'new combination of three and O2' mean that I can use a three SIM card without unlocking the phone from O2?

Advertisement