Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop

Options
  • 13-07-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi

I wish to buy 'Photoshop' for a friend for their laptop. I have no knowledge of what or where exactly i can do this, can i buy a second hand version, what is approx cost involved. Do i need a CD version, can they download it, do i need the latest version of will an older version suffice. She intents to use it for website design etc

Any advice or guidelines would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might consider http://www.gimp.org/downloads/, its free. Not used Photoshop itself in a good while, but AFAIK its just an image editing/creation program. Maybe its evolved to include website creation. Maybe look at http://www.adobe.com/ie/products/dreamweaver.html for site design, there's a trial version, and probably free alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Photoshop is really just for image editing. Sure you can use it for website assets, but Illustrator would arguably be better for that purpose.

You can't outright buy Photoshop anymore, as it's moved to a subscription based scheme. Prices from Adobe are here.

You can't legally buy second hand versions of previous (non-subscription) versions. However an owner of a licence can transfer the licence to someone else, but you'll probably have a hard time finding someone to do that.

As mentioned, GIMP is a good free program that mimics most of the functionality of Photoshop.. Inkscape would be the free equivalent of Illustrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

maki wrote: »
    Photoshop is really just for image editing. Sure you can use it for website assets, but Illustrator would arguably be better for that purpose.

Absolutely not true.

I do all my web design in Photoshop, as do many web designers, because the layer effects you can apply are far better and there are far more of them than in Illustrator. Most web design tutorials you'll find online will use Photoshop over Illustrator.

Photoshop is a raster image creator/editor whereas Illustrator is a vector image editor/creator. See here for the difference: http://99designs.com/designer-blog/2011/05/02/vector-vs-raster-images/

Websites are generally built in Photoshop to look the same in the browser as they do in the Photoshop file - in other words they won't need to change size. This is also why a raster editor is preferred. Illustrator is used usually for images that are likely to need to change size - logos are a good example, because you might need one logo for a website, one for a business card and so on.

Don't get me wrong - Photoshop is a fantastic photo/image editor, but I'm finding at the moment that Lightroom tends to be a better piece of software for this task now, and that Photoshop seems to be heading more and more in the direction of image composition, rather than editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

Cost is massive to be honest but you can rent a photoshop these days via Creative cloud. Check that out

Advertisement