Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV fails after 18 months

Options
  • 13-07-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭

I'm posting this on behalf of my sister. 18 months ago she purchased a Samsung television in Curry's. On Thursday night there was a subtle bang from it and a smell of burning rubber. Now it won't switch on. She thinks she has the warranty somewhere but can't find it

Does she have any come back at all here? If she finds the warranty does she go back to Curry's or will she have to contact Samsung. If she can't find the warranty will that affect things? She paid for the television by credit card but doesn't have the receipt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A credit card statement will suffice as proof of purchase, you don't need the full receipt.

Her contract of sale is with Curry's so she should start there. Bear in mind that Curry's are entitled to investigate the fault to see if it arose due to user misuse. But if a genuine fault, she is entitled to a refund, replacement or repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Warranty doesn't matter, find the receipt and talk to Curry's, if you can't, credit card statement will work as poof of purchase.

They might bang on about 1 year guarantee but consumer rights in Ireland give you five years. They'll probably have it sent off for repair, or someone will come to the house for repair (happened for me with DID and Samsung).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

They might bang on about 1 year guarantee but consumer rights in Ireland give you five years....
    It's not that exact. You are entitled to a reasonable product life, taking account of the nature of the product, the use made of it, and the price paid for it. Once six years have passed, the Statute of Limitations kicks in, and you can forget about legal recourse in most circumstances.

But it's difficult to see 18 months as a reasonable product life for a television.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well back in 2007 I bought a Sammy tv from Power city. Worked for 2 months, the refused to start. The TV went back to P.C. at their expense. They sent it to Samsung approved repairers in Ireland.

If Currys are worth their salt, then the OP's sister could be as lucky as I was. By the way the TV has had no problem since 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Just wanted to add tell her be ready stand her ground on her consumer rights they will bang on bout 12months and also try charge to get a tec to look. I had a nitemare with pcworld (currys are same comany DSG far as I remember parent company called) and a 13month old desktop.
    Print a copy of consumer rights and bring it with you it helped me lol I was forewarned by a neighbour who also had to fight their corner.

Goodluck dealing with them your going need it ,on the otherhand maybe a Rep here on boards may help ;) The area manger very nice guy sorted me after the crap in store next stop was going be a complaint lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

It's not that exact. You are entitled to a reasonable product life, taking account of the nature of the product, the use made of it, and the price paid for it. Once six years have passed, the Statute of Limitations kicks in, and you can forget about legal recourse in most circumstances.

But it's difficult to see 18 months as a reasonable product life for a television.

You are correct, I should have given more information!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

You are entitles to a refund, replacement or a repair. However it is up to the retailer to choose which option they want to use. If a repair is offered it should be permanent, ie the same fault should not happen after a couple of weeks. Worst case scenario is that the consumer can go to the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

They are making the tvs to fail now after a certain amount of time on purpose. so that you will have to go back and buy more. there was a documentary on the other night on bbc called 'the man who made me spend'. seems to be the latest scam. Iphone are doing the same thing with their batteries.

userod wrote: »
    They are making the tvs to fail now after a certain amount of time on purpose. so that you will have to go back and buy more. there was a documentary on the other night on bbc called 'the man who made me spend'. seems to be the latest scam. Iphone are doing the same thing with their batteries.

I find this hard to believe. However I will try and watch the documentary if possible to find. If a reputable company was making their products so that they would fail after a few months then this would damage their brand and push consumers to a competitors product.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

userod wrote: »

I also heard on the telly that programme makers occasionally over sensationalise issues and exaggerate/twist facts to suit their own narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I bought a new tv in harvey Norman, sat in a box for 9 months waiting for house to be finished, finally set it up 12 weeks later it died, Samsung also. Rang Harvey Norman who said it was out of warranty, seems Samsung pulled out of market due to too many faults on tv's. Now when you phone you gt a call centre in India, telling you to take tv to a place in Rathcoole & have an engineer have a look at it for 150 EURO.

Now I boycott Harvey Norman and Samsung.

It was an international problem but they only recalled tv's in USA

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    I bought a new tv in harvey Norman, sat in a box for 9 months waiting for house to be finished, finally set it up 12 weeks later it died, Samsung also. Rang Harvey Norman who said it was out of warranty, seems Samsung pulled out of market due to too many faults on tv's. Now when you phone you gt a call centre in India, telling you to take tv to a place in Rathcoole & have an engineer have a look at it for 150 EURO.

Now I boycott Harvey Norman and Samsung.

You should have brought it back to hn, it is too easy for retailers to say it is out of warranty tough luck. You do have rights to expect a TV to last more than a year.

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    You should have brought it back to hn, it is too easy for retailers to say it is out of warranty tough luck. You do have rights to expect a TV to last more than a year.

I did. Spent about 3 months back and forth. Their plan worked. Got sick of it and no one in Samsung cared. Gave up.

I did. Spent about 3 months back and forth. Their plan worked. Got sick of it and no one in Samsung cared. Gave up.

lazeedaisy wrote:

You should have went down the route of the small claims court. Especially if it dragged on for three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

I find this hard to believe. However I will try and watch the documentary if possible to find. If a reputable company was making their products so that they would fail after a few months then this would damage their brand and push consumers to a competitors product.

I also thought the same but they were saying on some of the new iphones you cant open it to change the batteries. I checked mine iphone 5 and they were right there is no latch or switch. There is a switch on the side which has no impact and doesnt seem to pop any cover. They also said they do it on lightbulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭ozmo

Similar happened to me - TV was just over the year old - got onto Samsung - Lots of Samsungs recalled in states but they wouldn't fix here. I wanted tv fixed rather than money back so didn't do the small claims.

However it was an easyish fix with about 5 euros of parts from maplins in the end. I just replaced all the larger capacitors with higher quality ones and its as good as new - They are great tvs once working.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement