Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Almera '02 rough idling

Options
  • 13-07-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,

I have a '02 Nissan Almera 1.5 petrol and over the last few days it has started idling a little rough. Engine management light has come on also. I've checked the air filter and cleaned the MAF sensor using a contact cleaner, but that did nothing. I'm going to check spark plugs next.

I don't have the fault code for it - I'm waiting for a code reader to come in the post, but I'm just wondering would anyone have ideas on what it might be? I've read that the timing chain is a common thing to go in these, does it sound like a timing chain issue?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

Could be a dodgy ignition coil or blocked injector. When you get the code reader and if it gives you misfire on a cylinder, reset mil and then swap around coils. If misfire moves to another cylinder it's the coil

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

yes that sounds like a stretched timing chain but it could also be a number of other issues. Take it to a garage and get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

You should hear a rattle if it is the chain. Also sometimes the rev meter needle wobbles when the chain is stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MMcNally

Max Moment wrote: »
    Could be a dodgy ignition coil or blocked injector. When you get the code reader and if it gives you misfire on a cylinder, reset mil and then swap around coils. If misfire moves to another cylinder it's the coil

Code reader gave an error of cylinder three misfiring. Swapped the coil packs on 2 and 3, will see when the error comes back if it moves to cylinder 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MMcNally

MMcNally wrote: »
    Code reader gave an error of cylinder three misfiring. Swapped the coil packs on 2 and 3, will see when the error comes back if it moves to cylinder 2

Error code was still reading cylinder 3 misfire. Took out spark plug (with a lot of effort!) and it turned out someone had put a bigger one into it than what should have been in it. The end of the plug was well mashed and eaten away. Good news is it was a cheaper fix than changing the coil pack! She's running nice and smooth again now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

MMcNally wrote: »
    Error code was still reading cylinder 3 misfire. Took out spark plug (with a lot of effort!) and it turned out someone had put a bigger one into it than what should have been in it. The end of the plug was well mashed and eaten away. Good news is it was a cheaper fix than changing the coil pack! She's running nice and smooth again now.
    holy crap.....hope the piston slamming into the plug didnt cause that damage......:eek: cos u may soon need a new piston as well .....

Advertisement