Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small kibble for elderly cat.

• 13-07-2014 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find a very small sized kibble for an elderly cat who is 15+ and no longer goes outdoors unless I do.
    I've had him on RC Sensible 33 for a couple of years now as it has a small kibble and Bozita Hair & Skin before that.
    My problem is that I have tried to switch him to a senior food a few times but he won't touch a larger kibble and I would like to put him on a food more suitable for old cats. RC are the only make that put the size of the kibble on the bag but all of the 12+ food is 10mm+ kibble.
    Does anyone know of any makes that do senior food smaller than this?
    The Sensible 33 is about 6mm but is designed for active cats aged 1 - 7 and I'm worried he's not getting the right nutrients for an ageing cat.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My oldest cat (13) seems to struggle with some kibble, I tried several senior ones but settled on applaws chicken dry kibble, he loves it, and seems in great health on it, even a bit livelier.
    I also feed Bozita wet food, it's grain free (as is the applaws) in the evening, and he loves that too.

I think the food I feed is doing all 3 cats good, all have better coats (old boy has a shine like not seen in years) and smelly cat isn't smelly anymore.

Not sure of size of applaws kibble, less than 10mm though I think.

Just checked bag, can't see a size, but look about 7mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Would you consider moving him to wet food? It would be easier on his little old teeth and would help up his water intake.

I don't know much about cat food, but the dog version of this is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You could try softening the dry food with a bit of water. It'd turn to mush but that would also get more water into him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Whispered, I do give him a bit of wet food alongside his kibble. He only licks the jelly off and leaves all the solid chunks. He's been doing that for a couple of years now. I tried bozita wet (the stuff in the cartons) last year as I heard there was a lot of jelly, but he turned his nose up so the dogs got that too.
    @pumpkinseeds - he does drink water too, so I'm not too worried on that score.
    I guess my main concern is that he is getting the right minerals/vitamins for oldies (kidney function and phosphorous etc) and not too much stuff that will give him energy that he's not expending.
    @mymo - I'll certainly give the applaws a look in.

Dogs are so much easier when it comes to food!
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I get the tins of bozita and my cats lap it up. It's got a mushy pate texture and not chunks. We're waiting for a new delivery as we ran out and it's a nightmare with our 4. They've gone back to the bad old days of licking jelly off the whiskas and then are behind me looking for food whenever I go into the kitchen.

I get the chicken and the salmon ones as our little female cat won't eat the chicken but the chaps love the chicken as well. 1 of our chaps has had about 5 teeth removed over the years and he has no problems at all with it. Like you I tried the cartons of Bozita and my cats just walked away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I get the tins of bozita and my cats lap it up. It's got a mushy pate texture and not chunks.

That sounds interersting. It's kinda annoying that he only eats the jelly. It's like 2/3 of it is going to waste. Maybe the pate stuff is what he needs. I've only ever had him on jelly or gravy before. I might just give that a try, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My cats used to all be little terrors for just licking off the jelly then be starving 5 minutes later and non stop whinging for the night but since I switched them over to tins of Cosma they eat everything, it's basically shredded chicken in jelly so there's no little brown chunks, just lots of yummy chicken so their bowls are clear after every meal! Only thing is it's not a complete food so has to be supplimented with a dry - we use applaws which they love. The only thing I've found with the Cosma is I have to break it up for them otherwise they lift up the entire big piece, chicken, jelly and all, and will run off with it and hide it somewhere like they do when they get a treat :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

will run off with it and hide it somewhere like they do when they get a treat :pac:
    One of our foster does that with raw chicken necks; or if not to hide it to play hunt with it before eating it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Nody wrote: »
    One of our foster does that with raw chicken necks; or if not to hide it to play hunt with it before eating it...

My guys normally only do it when they get a raw or cooked meaty treat so they must think the Cosma is the same! :)

Advertisement