Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to host WC?

• 13-07-2014 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭

With the Euros being changed so that the competition is being spread around different cities, is it time that we looked at hosting the world cup?

I imagine a joint bid with England would be quite possible. Here we could use Croke Park, the Aviva and Páirc Uí Chaoimh. England could use Wembley, Twickenham, the Olympic Stadium, Old Trafford, the Emirates, St. James' Park, the Stadium of Light, the Etihad, Anfield, Villa Park, Stamford Bridge and Goodison Park.

Obviously some stadiums would be upgraded to seat more people.
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We can't even hold a five Garth Brooks concerts here.

No chance will a World Cup be held here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

England would hardly want to share with us in fairness

They have the stadiums and infrastructure already in place for hosting a WC

If we want to co-host with anyone it would have to be Scotland and Wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Reminds me of the time we scuppered Scotland's chance of hosting a major tournament. Giving the uefa lads a guided tour of an empty field! Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

England would hardly want to share with us in fairness

They have the stadiums and infrastructure already in place for hosting a WC

If we want to co-host with anyone it would have to be Scotland and Wales

And that was tried for the Euros and obviously Platini didn't like the idea so went with loads oh hosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Reminds me of the time we scuppered Scotland's chance of hosting a major tournament. Giving the uefa lads a guided tour of an empty field! Brilliant.

Tbf the Scottish prob screwed their own chances by nominating 3 grounds within the same city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why would England dilute their own chances by going for a joint bid when they are perfectly capable of hosting on their own?

If they really wanted to co-host with someone they have a choice of two countries just as well equipped as us but that they share a land mass with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Why is there such a fascination with trying to hold a major tournament? I'm not saying it'll never be a possibility but, at this particular moment in time (:D :P), it couldn't be further away from being a reality.

Instead though, why doesn't the FAI at least try to host one of the under-age tournaments. Ideally the U21s, but that's also quite popular so I don't think we'd be capable of holding that either. Although, having said that, I'm sure we'd be well able to host the Women's U21 Europeans, if one wants to go down that avenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

Wilberto wrote: »
    Why is there such a fascination with trying to hold a major tournament? I'm not saying it'll never be a possibility but, at this particular moment in time (:D :P), it couldn't be further away from being a reality.

Instead though, why doesn't the FAI at least try to host one of the under-age tournaments. Ideally the U21s, but that's also quite popular so I don't think we'd be capable of holding that either. Although, having said that, I'm sure we'd be well able to host the Women's U21 Europeans, if one wants to go down that avenue.

Well said. Or here's a novel idea, they could try to improve the league here. Oh, but that wouldn't give the Fuhrer Delaney the opportunity to swan around with the UEFA/FIFA bigwigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

The Euros being held between multiple countries is a novelty once-off to celebrate 60 years of the competition, will be back to normal after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Impossible, unless we were to unify the different associations infrastructure strategies and get them ground sharing. If we got the GAA and IRFU involved in a bid then maybe you'd have enough cities for form a viable half a bid with Scotland (England would never consider a join bid with us).

You need a viable spread of at least 6/7 cities to form a viable half a bid so on top of Dublin, Cork & Limerick you would need to develop stadiums in the smaller towns and cities like Galway, Kilkenny, Waterford, Tralee, Sligo etc. and to do that you'd need to arrange ground sharing schemes with the regional associations to make the stadiums viable.

On top of that, you have to improve the transport and hotels infrastructure to accomodate the half a million visitors you could potentially expect arriving for the tournament (Brazil projected receiving 3,700,000 visitors for the world cup but this figure seems extravagent, especially seeing South Afria's visitor numbers only rose by about 400,000 for the tournament).

It's doable, but requires a level of coordination between both local authorities and regional sporting associations that's never been seen before in Ireland so I doubt it would ever happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement