Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford vs Wexford

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

citykat wrote: »
    There's only one stand in O'Moore park the last time I checked. I'd say there's more seated capacity in Nowlan Park right now even with the reduced capacity.

Personally speaking, the appeal of the stand is the view and not the seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

There's only one stand in O'Moore park the last time I checked. I'd say there's more seated capacity in Nowlan Park right now even with the reduced capacity.

Spot on. Can't help noticing, by the way, that Wexford supporters have no complaints about venue. Just like their team, they're getting on with what matters.

Grats wrote: »
    Spot on. Can't help noticing, by the way, that Wexford supporters have no complaints about venue. Just like their team, they're getting on with what matters.

Christ almighty, it has f*ck all to do with ye to be honest.

Christ almighty, it has f*ck all to do with ye to be honest.

Oh dear, nerves are kicking in! You remember those words above when it comes to Kilkenny matters.

Grats wrote: »
    Oh dear, nerves are kicking in! You remember those words above when it comes to Kilkenny matters.

What has this thread got to with Kilkenny? Oh wait, nothing. But you're from there, and you've made it about Kilkenny again. Wow, what an amazing talent you have for doing that.

I am truly in awe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭skaface

Must be a big Wexford crowd travelling so...

There will be a big Waterford support there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Wexford team

1 MARK FANNING GLYNN BARNTOWN
    2 LIAM RYAN RAPPAREES
    3 MATTHEW O’HANLON – CAPT ST JAMES
    4 KEITH ROSSITER OULART THE BALLAGH
    5 ANDREW SHORE PARNELLS (DUBLIN)
    6 EOIN MOORE OULART THE BALLAGH
    7 CIARAN KENNY BUFFERS ALLEY
    8 DAVID REDMOND OULART THE BALLAGH
    9 LEE CHIN FAYTHE HARRIERS
    10 PAUL MORRIS FERNS ST AIDANS
    11 PODGE DORAN OYLEGATE/GLENBRIEN
    12 DIARMUID O’KEEFFE ST ANNES
    13 JACK GUINEY RATHNURE
    14 CONOR MCDONALD NAOMH EANNA
    15 LIAM OG MCGOVERN ST ANNES

16 BEN O’CONNOR OULART THE BALLAGH
    17 BOBBY KENNY BUFFERS ALLEY
    18 RICHIE KEHOE FAYTHE HARRIERS
    19 RORY JACOB OULART THE BALLAGH
    20 IAN BYRNE FERNS ST AIDANS
    21 PJ NOLAN ASKAMORE
    22 GARRETT SINNOTT OULART THE BALLAGH
    23 HARRY KEHOE CLOUGHBAWN
    24 CONOR DEVITT BALLYFAD
    25 WILLIE DEVEREUX ST MARTINS
    26 SHANE TOMKINS ASKAMORE

skaface wrote: »
    There will be a big Waterford support there as well

Good to hear, great evening in store. Won't be much between the two teams so the support could count in getting the winners over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

3ships wrote: »
    Wexford team

2 LIAM RYAN RAPPAREES
    13 JACK GUINEY RATHNURE

That's a cracking full forward line there for Wexford. If they can get on top around midfield like they did against Clare, that line will do damage against anyone; on form with good ball of course.

Guiney would probably be in the half forward line if they play an extra man back, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

letowski wrote: »
    That's a cracking full forward line there for Wexford. If they can get on top around midfield like they did against Clare, that line will do damage against anyone; on form with good ball of course.

Guiney would probably be in the half forward line if they play an extra man back, though.

I'd say Wexford will go man to man. I think they reserve the sweeper system for superior teams. I imagine they fancy their chances later today and will go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,120 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wexford to win handy with that superb team out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

3ships wrote: »
    Wexford team

2 LIAM RYAN RAPPAREES
    13 JACK GUINEY RATHNURE

16 BEN O’CONNOR OULART THE BALLAGH
    17 BOBBY KENNY BUFFERS ALLEY
    18 RICHIE KEHOE FAYTHE HARRIERS
    19 RORY JACOB OULART THE BALLAGH
    20 IAN BYRNE FERNS ST AIDANS
    21 PJ NOLAN ASKAMORE
    22 GARRETT SINNOTT OULART THE BALLAGH
    23 HARRY KEHOE CLOUGHBAWN
    24 CONOR DEVITT BALLYFAD
    25 WILLIE DEVEREUX ST MARTINS
    26 SHANE TOMKINS ASKAMORE

Great team very happy with it, Delighted to see Chin in midfield much more effective there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I see Eanna Martin doing interviews/photo calls for Wexford this week yet not on the panel. Is he injured ? What position would he play for Wexford? He's one of the best halfbacks in Cork club hurling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I see Eanna Martin doing interviews/photo calls for Wexford this week yet not on the panel. Is he injured ? What position would he play for Wexford? He's one of the best halfbacks in Cork club hurling.

He was sub keeper when he was first in panel and was playing half back and half forward in the few games he got. Don't know if he is injured, I didn't think he was around this year at all

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wexford to win handy with that superb team out

You think you'd maybe keep your constant negativity to one thread?

Interesting to see how many people outside Wexford rate them so highly all of a sudden. In fairness to the couple of Wexford supporters I spoke to they are staying very grounded and are expecting a tough and tight game and not buying into themselves being favourites.

Apparently there is a big contingent travelling from Waterford city and if ever there was a day the lads needed support its today. I think we have a performance in us and it will happen tonight. Looking forward to a big turnout and hopefully a great game, I would certainly be supporting Wexford onwards if they win today.

• Advertisement

deisedoz wrote: »
    You think you'd maybe keep your constant negativity to one thread?

Interesting to see how many people outside Wexford rate them so highly all of a sudden. In fairness to the couple of Wexford supporters I spoke to they are staying very grounded and are expecting a tough and tight game and not buying into themselves being favourites.

Apparently there is a big contingent travelling from Waterford city and if ever there was a day the lads needed support its today. I think we have a performance in us and it will happen tonight. Looking forward to a big turnout and hopefully a great game, I would certainly be supporting Wexford onwards if they win today.

And should Waterford beat them, it will become more about Clare being poor than Wexford being good.

That's the nature of the beast.

Should be another entertaining game, hopefully both sides are more clinical it's the one aspect of both teams play that really has let them down above all else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

This should be a cracker.

Wexford have already have a successful season but I can't help but feel they do have something to lose here - as stated above they can't have hurling people say that they won because Clare were bad. They need to win this. Their fans deserve it. Their players deserve it. They are on the crest of a wave. They've had their big scalp but they'll want more. Win this and they play Limerick who we all know can have a nervous breakdown at any time (although I do feel they have superior hurlers to Wexford and Waterford)!!

For Waterford I worry. Their regular performers get older and older. They need their fans tonight who might be accused of being fair weather fans at the best of times. They have recent experience of doing something that Wexford haven't done in a long time - winning big games in July when they are expected to win. That's the problem tonight for Wexford - for the first time in a decade they are expected to win against a first division team in a sell out.

The prize is huge. I've always considered the best day out in hurling is the double header quarter finals in Thurles. The amount of colour involved is phenomenal. Always a sell out. Always an epic day to remember. Great momentum to be gained for the victors going into the Semis. That's the prize here for the winners of tonight's game. If I'm to be honest I'd love to see some purple to go with the green, blue, yellow, navy and white that will be on display next week in Thurles. I wouldn't bet against the Deise tonight either though.

This mightn't be the thread for it, but people seriously need to get off the backs of Waterford fans.

The attendance against Cork the first day was poor, we'd just come back off being relegated and having been hammered by Clare and Kilkenny an at least 6 starters ruled out, with Jake Dillon and Shane Walsh just about making it.

It's the smallest County in Munster and to be honest the city is by far the worst in terms of job opportunities for people compared to Cork or Limerick.

If you compare the attendance at our home games in the league across the board I'd say its pretty alright compared to other Counties of our size. Sure, Clare nearly sold out Ennis the first day v Wexford, but are you trying to tell us that we wouldn't do the same if it was the first home championship game since we won an all-ireland?

14,000 people turned up in the City to welcome Waterford home when they were hammered by Kilkenny in 2008. About 2,000 turned up to welcome Tipp home in 2011.

Cork is 5 times the size of Waterford we should never be anything other than greatly outnumbered by their support. And there's expected to be a good
    crowd from Waterford this evening.

Pisses me off something else this kind of talk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

He is a loose ball hurler, nowhere near inter co standard. It says enough that hes not making the wexford panel. He loves gettin his face in the paper for all that media crap alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

This mightn't be the thread for it, but people seriously need to get off the backs of Waterford fans.

The attendance against Cork the first day was poor, we'd just come back off being relegated and having been hammered by Clare and Kilkenny an at least 6 starters ruled out, with Jake Dillon and Shane Walsh just about making it.

It's the smallest County in Munster and to be honest the city is by far the worst in terms of job opportunities for people compared to Cork or Limerick.

If you compare the attendance at our home games in the league across the board I'd say its pretty alright compared to other Counties of our size. Sure, Clare nearly sold out Ennis the first day v Wexford, but are you trying to tell us that we wouldn't do the same if it was the first home championship game since we won an all-ireland?

14,000 people turned up in the City to welcome Waterford home when they were hammered by Kilkenny in 2008. About 2,000 turned up to welcome Tipp home in 2011.

Cork is 5 times the size of Waterford we should never be anything other than greatly outnumbered by their support. And there's expected to be a good
    crowd from Waterford this evening.

Pisses me off something else this kind of talk.

Sorry ML, but we have the same set of good time fans just like every other county. Simple fact, they come out once a big game is won.

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Sorry ML, but we have the same set of good time fans just like every other county. Simple fact, they come out once a big game is won.

Right but Im not claiming we have exceptional fans, but we're not some exceptional fair weather fans that others don't have.

Limerick is a similar size to Waterford. Wexford is smaller. Both have been far less successful in the last decade but both bring crowds that don't fluctuate in relation to success as much from my experience.

detective wrote: »
    Limerick is a similar size to Waterford. Wexford is smaller. Both have been far less successful in the last decade but both bring crowds that don't fluctuate in relation to success as much from my experience.

Limerick has about 80,000 more people living there, that is 72% of the population of Waterford. Wexford about 30,000 more people, which is more than 25%.

Do you think they would have brought a much bigger crowd than Waterford did to the Cork game if say 3 years ago they had met Kilkenny in a quarter final of Leinster?

Limerick's support is pretty constant, probably the best supported team in the Country relative to size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

detective wrote: »
    Limerick and wexford have much bigger populations than waterford to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Limerick has about 80,000 more people living there, that is 72% of the population of Waterford. Wexford about 30,000 more people, which is more than 25%.

Do you think they would have brought a much bigger crowd than Waterford did to the Cork game if say 3 years ago they had met Kilkenny in a quarter final of Leinster?

Limerick's support is pretty constant, probably the best supported team in the Country relative to size.

We're gluttons for punishment alright.

Should be a good game tonight. Both teams have decent sets of forwards and with Wexford being able to keep a very good player like Jacob on the bench I just have a sneaking feeling for them. Huge game for both teams

Should've checked my facts #mortified

Right but Im not claiming we have exceptional fans, but we're not some exceptional fair weather fans that others don't have.

Plus the fact that we have consistently travelled in good numbers over the years
    to follow Waterford..
    How many other Hurling counties would travel year after year like we have..
    People forget that we are waiting since 1959 to bring Liam Mc Carthy back to the
    Deise..
    Waterford supporters are probably the most Loyal supporters in the country IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

And should Waterford beat them, it will become more about Clare being poor than Wexford being good.

That's the nature of the beast.

I don't actually think that will be the case. If Waterford win people will talk about the number of games wexford played. They'll still get the credit they deserve for beating clare.

And I don't think waterford will get any credit if they beat wexford, the talk will be about beating a tired team. And if we beat limerick after the talk will be about us finding ourselves in a semi final and how great that is for us and how limerick are flakey.

blue note wrote: »
    I don't actually think that will be the case. If Waterford win people will talk about the number of games wexford played. They'll still get the credit they deserve for beating clare.

And I don't think waterford will get any credit if they beat wexford, the talk will be about beating a tired team. And if we beat limerick after the talk will be about us finding ourselves in a semi final and how great that is for us and how limerick are flakey.

Well I wouldn't even be thinking of Limerick at the moment to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If Waterford win , people will be talking about how bad Clare must have been

, and if Wexford win , people will be talking about how bad Clare and Waterford must have been.

PP have Wexford favourites at evens , and Waterford are 11/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Hope I'm wrong, but I think this will be a bit one-sided.
    Just not sure which side....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Wexford should be on a roll after beating Clare and adrenaline will banish fatigue.

Is this the 1st time these two have met in an All Ireland hurling match?

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Wexford should be on a roll after beating Clare and adrenaline will banish fatigue.

Is this the 1st time these two have met in an All Ireland hurling match?

No, round 3 qualifier in 2003 which Wexford won by in Nowlan Park, and a 2008 quarter final which Waterford won by a point in Thurles.

Deise Abu !!!!!!!
    The time for talking is over... No excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭patsy sally

wouldnt put any notice on that wexford team,knowing liam dunne he could make 1 if not 2 changes to that team just before throw in,
    suprised harry kehoe not starting but he could be by 7 this evening,hard game to call wexford good and bad against clare both games, waterford 1st half of 1st game against cork looked good,im going to sit on the fence and go for a draw for the 3rd week in a row 8/1 on the draw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I do think Chin is a lot better in midfield than half-back, a lot more freedom to utilise his athleticism and skill.

Very very hard game to call, should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I do think Chin is a lot better in midfield than half-back, a lot more freedom to utilise his athleticism and skill.

Very very hard game to call, should be interesting.

agree chin much better at midfield,could well be the winning of this game whoever gets on top in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Kk is full of Wexford jerseys so far! Looks like it could rain heavy showers

Kk is full of Wexford jerseys so far! Looks like it could rain heavy showers

Train from Waterford on the way!! Be plenty of Waterford support there don't worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

skaface wrote: »
    Train from Waterford on the way!! Be plenty of Waterford support there don't worry

Come on Waterford. Come on Wexford.

From one, living for years in the other. Tough to chose :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,542 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Rachel Wyse should be a poll option!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

Behave yourself Mushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Mushy wrote: »
    Rachel Wyse should be a poll option!

She should alright. :) Not a patch on Marty Morrissey though. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,542 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

frimpong wrote: »
    She should alright. :) Not a patch on Marty Morrissey though. :P

The dream team!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

All this hand passing is killing Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Good exciting first half. Wexford need to cut down on some of the hand passing at the back, they are cocking it up too much. When they play diagonal balls into the full forward line, the Waterford backs are in trouble.

Not enough of the Waterford forwards are in the game. They should try and run at the Wexford centre-back Eoin Moore as he seems a bit of a weak link.

Both teams will feel confident that they can win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Wexford 4-5 wides in the last 5 minutes ......worrying times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Rossiter is a big loss for Wexford.

Good to see Gavin O'Brien finally getting a run in the championship this season

• Site Banned Posts: 6 twmiles

They need to feed McDonald and McGovern.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AlonzoHarris

anyone got a stream?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement