Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leisureland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

-crisp- wrote: »
    What actually caused the damage? I get the gym would have been wrecked but I dont get how a swimming pool being flooded would do so much damage apart from broken tiles or needing to repair or replace the filters and pumps.
    Can someone please enlighten me?

The salt damaged the tiles, which were coming off in pool and on floor etc. Whole place wrecked. Health and safety, future hazards etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭-crisp-

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    The salt damaged the tiles, which were coming off in pool and on floor etc. Whole place wrecked. Health and safety, future hazards etc

Makes sense thanks.

I'd like to see it opened again sooner rather than later. I learned how to swim there every thursday with my primary school and I'd like the same for my daughter.

Sorry if its off topic but can anyone suggested a good swimming pool to bring my 4 year old? Most of the hotel or gym pools I've seen are just a 6 foot deep pool with the lanes set up. The ones that had a kids pool were barley knee high and very small. Leisure Land was a place for her to have fun while learning to be confident in water in a safe environment.

All my nieces and nephews are terrified of deep water, cant swim properly and are more interested in plonking themselves on a couch with their DS. While I learned how to swim in first class and was jumping off Blackrock by the age of 10.

Weather we as tax payers should be funding the place, I'm not sure, but a place like Leisure Land is definitely needed in this city. And I also agree that we all need to swim. We live by the coast and have a river and canals running right through the middle of this place. Accidents happen and more people might would be alive if they knew how to swim properly and didn't panic in deep water

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

buzz11 wrote: »
    Yes, I've been told by someone who works there that they are all being paid even if they aren't involved in the refurbishment. (i.e. they have little or nothing to do)

Not as of last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Some interesting developments from Pearce Flannery's FB Page
    Quoting full posts here for those who do not use FB

10-Oct-2014

Leisureland Update:

A proposal to increase the fees for swimming clubs using the Leisureland facility going forward was unanimously voted down at a board meeting this evening (Friday 10th October).

The council executive say that they reserve the right to unilaterally increase the fees anyhow in spite of the boards decision. They also stated that they may remove the teaching classes from the swimming clubs in spite of the opposition to this move by all councillors and board members present.

I await their formal position and their proposed course of action on this matter. Until the position is clarified I reserve my position but I feel my position on a board that is ignored and as such is simply a public relation exercise is pointless would render my position on that board untenable.

I will keep you posted on any developments as they arise.

and today:

31-Oct-2014

Important Leisureland Update.

The board meeting scheduled for this morning at 11am was postponed amid chaotic scenes just now.

I uncovered a bizarre situation in my investigations of the facility over the last few days.

Due to what is in my opinion the continued mis-governance of the facility the board as was attending meetings would appear to have no legal standing and as such all meetings, decisions and policy matters as discussed could be deemed to be invalid. I warned the Leisureland management and City Council executive that they were in contravention yet again of company law.

The new board was elected in June and the company secretary and Leisureland management were obliged to inform the companies office of the change of directors within 14 days. This was not done and is therefore in contravention of company law. I have confirmation of this from the ODCE.and as such the previous board are still legally in the position.

The new board appear to have no legal standing.

It is my opinion that the entire board of the Leisureland facility would have resigned this morning in protest at a decision by the executive at Galway City Council to over-rule the board’s decision not to increase the fees to the aquatic fraternity only to discover the farcical situation that appearantly they were not members of the board in the first place. The council have been instructed to take legal advice on the matter.

There is a strong possibility that this renders all meetings held since June as invalid, the AGM is invalid and any and all decisions taken since June are also legally invalid. The board as is formally and legally constituted were not in attendance or even informed of the meetings as is a requirement.

The last six months have been a disgraceful waste of everybody’s time. I was initially shocked at how easily the executive dismissed the opinions of the board as being of little importance but now I realise the management and executive tasked with running the facility are actually in contravention of their legal obligations under the companies act.

They continually state that the facility has to break even yet they do not want to engage in any discussion as to how the facility could be developed and generate further revenues. Time and time again they allude to the fact that the directors are at fault for the lack of progress within the company. They have only one strategy and that is to impose penalties on the users of the facility.

This is in my view inept business management of a prime facility.

I formally reported the company governing the facility to the Director of Corporate Enforcement for what I feel are irregularities in the corporate governance of the facility. Due to breaches of the memorandum of understanding it is my opinion that certain figures as presented in the accounts are open to question or scrutiny.

The management and governance of the Leisureland facility is at present an absolute shambles”.

We are awaiting legal clarification on this matter and another meeting will be schedule in due course.

This is a disgrace. The young people of Galway, athletes and people that swim for recreational or health reasons deserve better from all involved.

I will keep you posted on developments as they arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If they clubs say they're not going back, that means they've found adequate facilities elsewhere. Excellent news. So why exactly are we bothering to re-open this loss-making facility???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

If they clubs say they're not going back, that means they've found adequate facilities elsewhere. Excellent news. So why exactly are we bothering to re-open this loss-making facility???

The fact that it's a loss making facility isn't a great concern, it's primary function is to provide affordable access to the leisure facilities.

So I'd re-phrase the question as:
    Why are we reopening this unaffordable loss-making facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Is there any sign of this place reopening any time soon ?? contoversities aside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm nearly certain I saw treadmills being put in the gym while I was jogging about 3 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

dilallio wrote: »
    Some interesting developments from Pearce Flannery's FB Page

I wouldn't pay any attention to that. He's right technically that the CRO has a rule that changing directors should be filed within 14 days but they never enforce that and no chance board decisions are legally invalid, as I'm sure he's aware. Just looking for a bit of cheap publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

Notch000 wrote: »
    Is there any sign of this place reopening any time soon ?? contoversities aside

mentioned on keith finnegan radio show during the week,that it will be opening some time in december. (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Pool not open yet, Gym is open though, a friend used it today, All brand new equipment (obvious) and it looks absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Pool not open yet, Gym is open though, a friend used it today, All brand new equipment (obvious) and it looks absolutely brilliant.

How much is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Storm 10 wrote: »

I hope they have a Rowing Machine ...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

Advertisement