Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi or bus to the airport from Heuston station

Options
  • 13-07-2014 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Im going on holidays in 3 weeks time, getting the train to Dublin and need to get transport from heuston station to the airport, will have plenty of time as I arrive in heuston at 8am and my flight isn't till 1pm , what are my options? how much would a taxi cost? what bus goes to the airport from there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

You can get the 747 Airlink Bus from Heuston direct to the airport. It is €6 one way, and takes around an hour. They run every 15 mins.
    A taxi will be at least €20 (at a guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

25 euro ish I would guess for a taxi, possibly a little less

The 747 will be running every 15 minutes and will have you in the airport in under an hour. Costs 6 euro or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Last time I got a taxi from heuston to airport it was 28 quid. Bus is far sounder option, and quicker cause the taxis dont take the port tunnel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

discus wrote: »
    Last time I got a taxi from heuston to airport it was 28 quid. Bus is far sounder option, and quicker cause the taxis dont take the port tunnel.

Whatever about the taxi being dearer, there is no hope in hell, the bus is quicker. It takes about an hour with all the stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

discus wrote: »

Taxis will take whatever route you ask them to take. If you want to go through the port tunnel and pay the toll, they'll do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I got charged a little under €50 from Dublin to Heuston last year for a taxi, traffic wasn't even that bad, just as well I wasn't travelling alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I got charged a little under €50 from Dublin to Heuston last year for a taxi, traffic wasn't even that bad, just as well I wasn't travelling alone!

Did they go the m50?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Did they go the m50?

Yep. That a longer route?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Yep. That a longer route?

Yep 6 or 7km longer plus the toll. I always tell the taxi driver to go up Dorset Street and up the n1/m1 cheaper and just as quick.

• Advertisement

Yep 6 or 7km longer plus the toll. I always tell the taxi driver to go up Dorset Street and up the n1/m1 cheaper and just as quick.

I'd say he spotted the fact that we were culchies on tour, hence taking advantage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Scumbag. I've been charged much less for much longer journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Yep 6 or 7km longer plus the toll. I always tell the taxi driver to go up Dorset Street and up the n1/m1 cheaper and ust as quick.

It's only quicker sometimes and it's much more prone to traffic jams. If I was a taxi driver and someone asked to be brought to the airport, my preference would be the m50. It might be slightly more expensive but there's less risk of the passenger being late for their flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

If you are concerned over the cost of a taxi from Hueston station to the airport you might need to ask yourself a question....

Can I afford this holiday?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If you are concerned over the cost of a taxi from Hueston station to the airport you might need to ask yourself a question....

Can I afford this holiday?

The difference between €6 and €25+ is significant, regardless of whether you're going on a holiday or not. Add in the cost of the return journey and it's a saving of around €40.

Do you not try to save money when booking a holiday, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You were badly done there Noccy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I went to Heuston at 5am to get the 747 last Sunday and discovered it doesn't start till 7am or so (earlier Mon-Sat), so stopped a taxi, asked him how much to the airport, thinking if we arrange a fare in advance I might get a deal. €25, says he, ok I say, fair enough. But the meter said €22 when we got there.

We went through the city, but obviously there's no traffic at that hour of the morning. I also got to the airport waaay too early.

And the moral of the story is: check the times in advance! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

You wouldnt get near the airport in a taxi for that sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any time I get a taxi to the airport it's normally around €28 ish between 3/4 of us, I'm not too far from Heuston. I'd imagine €22 would be about right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Any time I get a taxi to the airport it's normally around €28 ish between 3/4 of us, I'm not too far from Heuston. I'd imagine €22 would be about right.

Taxi driver hears "airport" and on goes the "extras"...i'd be lucky to get to finglas from the airport for 25 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

The 747 bus is €6.00 one way but €10.00 return. I'd go with that over a taxi, if I was on my own, unless I was stuck for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The 747 takes a winding route through town, and given you get into Heuston at 8am, you might be better off waiting until rush hour traffic dies down a bit. Unless you don't mind sitting in traffic that is. But if it were me and I had just sat on a train and was about to get on an airplane, I'd want to stretch my legs and not be confined to yet another seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

If the Luas is running, my preference is to get the Luas to Busarus, and pick up the 747 there. Cuts out all the circling around town, and is probably the fastest cheap way to the airport from where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ouch :(

He took neither the shortest or cheapest route there by going M50

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If the Luas is running, my preference is to get the Luas to Busarus, and pick up the 747 there. Cuts out all the circling around town, and is probably the fastest cheap way to the airport from where I live.

You beat me to it!

Definitely my preference. Or Luas all the way to the Point, and the bus's last stop is there, just before the port tunnel. You'll be out at the airport in 10 minutes flat! May not be any faster though as the Luas trundles down through the docklands verrrrrryyyyy slooowwwwwwly.

Train to Heuston, Luas to Busáras, 747 to airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is there not a surcharge (of a tenner, or thereabouts?) to take a taxi FROM the airport, as opposed to to it?

Or is that an urban myth I've just made up in my own head?

Either way, doesn't excuse a fare of 50 quid :eek:

Advertisement