Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualification recognisation

Options
  • 13-07-2014 7:57pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had any difficulties having their degrees recognised in Canada? I know people who've had problems in Australia having their qualifications recognised and have had to jump through a lot of hoops. It hadn't really occurred to me that it would be a problem - has anyone encountered any problems in Canada in that regard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Teaching, engineering, nursing.

All my buddies have had trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yeah...experience is key and foreign qualifications mean next to nothing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I saw my first job advert the other day that said any qualifications from outside of Canada must be 'assessed for equivalency', at a high enough price. But it seems that it's just certain organisations that are bothered about it, particularly government organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JamesTC

Depends on what industry you are in and I can only speak for my own area but in the Architectural industry you don't need your qualifications to be recognised to get a job and if you are an Architect you are down as a `Designer` where as Canadians are either Intern Architects or Registered Architects depending on where they are in their careers, and if you want you can get your qualifications assessed, it costs something like $2000 and if approved (money is non refundable) you can be an Intern Architect and work your way through the system as normal. The thing is you don't really need your stamp unless you plan on setting up a business on your own (so unlikely if you plan on only being here for 2 years)

For Architectural Technologists it is simpler as there is no requirement for any kind of registration (and in Alberta there is no dedicated group with the ASET being a broader group covering more than just the construction industry) and as for qualifications your Irish Diploma (or BSc Ordinary Degree if post 04) is recognised for the purposes of the job interview and if you have the BSc (Hons) you are above what any Canadian Technologist has as they have no Bachelor's Degrees in Arch. Tech.

Now all of the above is for the purposes of getting you in the door, in terms of where this would put you in the pay scale as another poster mentioned above experience is key and Canadian experience is worth more to an employer so you may find yourself lower down at first while you work your way up.

Advertisement