Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog bites

• 13-07-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I witnessed a woman and her dog walk by another person and dog ..second dog was lying down at owners feet ..the first woman and her dog ( dog was growling ) walked very close to other dog who lunged and went to bite dog but caught the womans pants and tore them but never broke her skin ..owner of dog who bite offered to pay for pants and bring for coffee.but the woman wanted dog put to sleep ..can you tell me who was right or wrong please

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's not down to the lady whose trousers were ripped to demand that the dog is put to sleep. Or rather, she can demand it, but the owners are not legally compelled to do so unless instructed to by a judge.
    And that would mean that the lady with the ripped trousers would have to bring the dog's owners to court. And even then, there's no guarantee at all that the judge would order the dog destroyed... this is a ripped pair of trousers, nothing more, from an evidential point of view.
    Depending on the circumstances, including whether the dog has "previous", it might be reasonable for the judge to order that the dog is muzzled when out in public, and/or that the owner and dog undergo a prescribed amount of training or behavioural work.

It sounds like the dog's owner was a bit naive in letting the dog continue to approach and get so close to something it was growling at: she would have been best served keeping her distance (I would be very surprised if she didn't already know her dog was not good with other dogs... why did she go so close? I'd imagine if she's inviting the injured party for a cup of coffee that they know each other already?), hopefully she has learned her lesson.

Were I in her situation, I'd give the trousers-lady a chance to calm down, then I'd head over to her with a bottle of wine, a large chunk of humility, and cash in my pocket to replace the trousers. But I most certainly would not be getting my dog put to sleep because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

She shouldn't have let the dog get that close if it was likely to snap..but asking for it to be pts is an over reaction. I can't wait to tell my friend about this post - her dog ripped the pocket off a pair of my shorts to get a ball one time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 squiffy

As far as i could make out ..they didnt know one another and lady was offering coffee and to pay for torn trousers to make amends ..but my question was as to why the lady with growling dog went so close to other dog who was lying across owners feet and then wen said dog tore her pants it was all his fault

All his fault?
    Are you blaming the dog?

I can understand, if the owner was a total stranger, offering to pay for the trousers. But to also invite the injured party, a total stranger who is royally peed off with you, for coffee?
    There's something not really adding up here op... I hope you're not on a wind-up here, are you?!

No not winding anyone up at all and no i dont think it was dogs fault it was the way pants lady was shouting that it was all the other dogs fault and the poor owner crying and trying to make amends..i just put up as im new to owning a dog and would hate to be put into a situation like it and would be rather aware of what to do or not to do in a case like this ..im sorry if i came across as a wind up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I think it was a very nice thing the woman did by inviting to coffee as it could help calm the situation and she was probably in shock herself.

I've had similar situations no bites but my 2 dogs are haters of any other dog or especially cats. I have had fools purposely cross the road into are path so to get closer while my 2 would be stressed even had 1 while they were in the garden behind gates where woman walks up road see my 2 then on way back crosses over with hers to see them with mine barking. She should not have brought her dog over and let up to gate as next thing 1 of mine cleared the gate and went for the dog she let lead go and dog ran none stop down middle of the road.

She came back a few hours later with threats and abuse and also going to sue.

The little one was bitten by a collie last week luckily not on the face but arm and bum.

Fair enough, my apologies for suggesting you're on a wind up.
    But I'm still confused what it us you're asking? You asked whose fault it was in your opening post.
    You said it was "his" fault (presuming this refers to the dog as it seems both owners were women).[edited to add... Having read and re-read your post, I now see you're saying that it was the trouser-lady blaming the dog, not you].
    And finally, you describe how the trouser lady was yelling and blaming the dog... Can't say I'd necessarily blame her, I'm sure she got a fright and was justifiably peed off that the other person allowed her growling dog get close enough to bite her.
    So, are you asking if people here would agree with the trouser-lady that it was the dog's fault?
    If so, I think it's been answered above. The owner of the growling dog is100% to blame. That does not necessarily mean the dog needs to be put to sleep though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

DBB wrote: »
    Fair enough, my apologies for suggesting you're on a wind up.
    But I'm still confused what it us you're asking? You asked whose fault it was in your opening post.
    You said it was "his" fault (presuming this refers to the dog as it seems both owners were women).[edited to add... Having read and re-read your post, I now see you're saying that it was the trouser-lady blaming the dog, not you].
    And finally, you describe how the trouser lady was yelling and blaming the dog... Can't say I'd necessarily blame her, I'm sure she got a fright and was justifiably peed off that the other person allowed her growling dog get close enough to bite her.
    So, are you asking if people here would agree with the trouser-lady that it was the dog's fault?
    If so, I think it's been answered above. The owner of the growling dog is100% to blame. That does not necessarily mean the dog needs to be put to sleep though.

I think you've misunderstood, or I have. The growling dog belonged to the 'pants lady' (love that description) and she took her growling dog close to the other dog that was lying down. The lying down dog snapped at the growling dog, and caught the pants lady. I think.

even had 1 while they were in the garden behind gates where woman walks up road see my 2 then on way back crosses over with hers to see them with mine barking. She should not have brought her dog over and let up to gate as next thing 1 of mine cleared the gate and went for the dog she let lead go and dog ran none stop down middle of the road.

She came back a few hours later with threats and abuse and also going to sue.

Whilst I wouldn't at all condone her abusing you or threatening you, had she followed through on her threat to sue you (which realistically she could only do if she could prove damages caused by your dog), you could have been in quite a bit of bother.
    People have the right to walk on a public footpath, even if by doing so they're being a bit clueless as to how much they're winding up your dogs. But owners have an obligation to keep their dogs securely contained on their property. So whilst the other lady was being a pain, unfortunately the law would have been on her side.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I think you've misunderstood, or I have. The growling dog belonged to the 'pants lady' (love that description) and she took her growling dog close to the other dog that was lying down. The lying down dog snapped at the growling dog, and caught the pants lady. I think.

Confused? Me?
    Probably!
    I think you're right, I'm mixed up. But it doesn't really change anything that's been said... At least I don't think it does!?! Owner of growling dog should have steered clear!

Squiffy, sorry for picking you up wrong on which dog bit who... I hope this hasn't all become too confusing now!

• Advertisement

Sorry guys ..maybe i was not clear in saying ..but it was pants lady dog who was growling and i couldnt understand her going so close to other lady who was talking to someone else on street but many thanks for all comments ...i have just got a 14 week old collie x and want to make sure we do everthing right so it dosent happen to us but again many thanks

Hi Squiffy,

I would like to say best of luck to you with your new friend;)

Make sure to train him and have him use to others especially kids and if no kids around it be best to show whos boss and have it so you can have your hand in their food bowl and mouth and so on.

Also have it that you tug a bit at him and try to annoy him as this is what kids would do.

I done all this with my dogs so as to have them use to kids and that if any were ever around.

DBB wrote: »
    Whilst I wouldn't at all condone her abusing you or threatening you, had she followed through on her threat to sue you (which realistically she could only do if she could prove damages caused by your dog), you could have been in quite a bit of bother.
    People have the right to walk on a public footpath, even if by doing so they're being a bit clueless as to how much they're winding up your dogs. But owners have an obligation to keep their dogs securely contained on their property. So whilst the other lady was being a pain, unfortunately the law would have been on her side.

My dog was inside as said but the fool to be honest came over stressing my 2 dogs even more.

The dog didnt bite just went for her dog but he ran off as she didnt have him on lead properly.

Sure I have been giving out to by other saying dogs arent allowed walk on paths and stuff like that even though I keep them to one side and on the grass away from path leaving loads of room to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

squiffy wrote: »
    Sorry guys ..maybe i was not clear in saying ..but it was pants lady dog who was growling and i couldnt understand her going so close to other lady who was talking to someone else on street but many thanks for all comments ...i have just got a 14 week old collie x and want to make sure we do everthing right so it dosent happen to us but again many thanks

Fairplay to for wanting to do everything right for your dog.
    Socialize it with other dogs/people and kids and anything else it might come into contact where you will walk it.

Check out the breed you have as I think it will need a fair amount of walking and play time.

Hi Squiffy,

I would like to say best of luck to you with your new friend;)

Make sure to train him and have him use to others especially kids and if no kids around it be best to show whos boss and have it so you can have your hand in their food bowl and mouth and so on.

Also have it that you tug a bit at him and try to annoy him as this is what kids would do.

I done all this with my dogs so as to have them use to kids and that if any were ever around.

Many thanks ..yes we have kids youngest is 12 ..and have been to puppy classes and doing that with food ..my son will start to feed pup and then take dish away and pup will sit untill son gives back dish of food ...and also we are at moment training the leave it comand so as any food left anywhere the pup wont take it ..my son plays with pup and can take a ball or toy out of pups mouth without pup growling ..but again many thanks x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

squiffy wrote: »
    Many thanks ..yes we have kids youngest is 12 ..and have been to puppy classes and doing that with food ..my son will start to feed pup and then take dish away and pup will sit untill son gives back dish of food ...and also we are at moment training the leave it comand so as any food left anywhere the pup wont take it ..my son plays with pup and can take a ball or toy out of pups mouth without pup growling ..but again many thanks x

Why do you get your son to take the food away? Do you take your son's food away while he's eating?

A really good way to get a dog to allow human hands in or near their food is actually the opposite. Have your son standing near the pup while it's eating, with something nice and tasty, have him put little bits of the tasty food into the bowl, so that your pup then sees human hands near bowl as a good, positive thing, rather than a bad, punitive one.

If its the training class that is advising the removal of the food, I'd suggest finding another trainer who is up to date on scientific research into dog training, and who uses positive, kind methods.

Advertisement