Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should cat fast?

• 13-07-2014 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

My cat is going to the vet at 10am tomorrow to have some teeth extracted. She will just be there a few hours. I just realised I wasn't told how long before anaesthetic she should fast for. I guess I'll play it safe and take her food away now? Not sure about her water...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I've decided to fast her for 12 hours with no food or water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Maybe you could call your vets emergency line to ask about the water just to be sure. The vet on call will likely be out and about anyway, or with overnight patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I know it's a bit late, but usually its from 6-8pm the night before, just leave them with water overnight. (some vets differ on the water but any I've been to say to leave them overnight) Hope puss got on okay today!

Thanks. She did well and is recovering. I had her completely fasting from 9pm but she didn't eat or drink anything since about 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Hi just a question with regard to your cats teeth extraction, how did he fare out. My cat had all his teeth other than his molars removed a few months ago. Do you mind me asking what the vets advice was re food and medication???

• Advertisement

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    Hi just a question with regard to your cats teeth extraction, how did he fare out. My cat had all his teeth other than his molars removed a few months ago. Do you mind me asking what the vets advice was re food and medication???

Most of my cat's teeth are gone now and more than likely will be looking at full mouth extraction in the future. She is doing fine, it would only be a problem if she was an outdoor cat and needed to defend herself. Anyway, she cannot now eat big nuts so I give her Royal Canin Babycat nuts as they are very small and cats tend not to chew all their food anyway. I give her a Royal Canin pouch as well, she would need 3 of these per day without nuts. There is no medication needed once your cat is otherwise healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

angeline wrote: »
    Most of my cat's teeth are gone now and more than likely will be looking at full mouth extraction in the future. She is doing fine, it would only be a problem if she was an outdoor cat and needed to defend herself. Anyway, she cannot now eat big nuts so I give her Royal Canin Babycat nuts as they are very small and cats tend not to chew all their food anyway. I give her a Royal Canin pouch as well, she would need 3 of these per day without nuts. There is no medication needed once your cat is otherwise healthy.

You answered me on another thread and thanks a mill!!!! Did your vet tell you to put your cat on an autohypergenic diet? My cat seemed to find it a little bit harder to get over getting his teeth out because he has the odd flare up with his gums.

Advertisement