Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Y'or favourite haunt?

• 13-07-2014 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Ow'ight chaps? Ok, I'm assuming a certain calibre of persons will respond in kind to this most exceptional of threads.

So where's your favourite pub in London and why? Personally I'm looking for some place where I can go on my own for a stout during the day, spark up a fine cigar, read my kindle and just chill man but hey that's not all, there sould be ample oppurtunity for me to chat up a nice bird if one sould take my fancy.

Any such place exist I do ponder....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Ow'ight chaps? Ok, I'm assuming a certain calibre of persons will respond in kind to this most exceptional of threads.

So where's your favourite pub in London and why? Personally I'm looking for some place where I can go on my own for a stout during the day, spark up a fine cigar, read my kindle and just chill man but hey that's not all, there sould be ample oppurtunity for me to chat up a nice bird if one sould take my fancy.

Any such place exist I do ponder....

I think Hemingway wrote abou such a place. You should look about the 1930's. Make sure you brush up on your matador skills though. Brauds love matadors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

enda1 wrote: »
    I think Hemingway wrote abou such a place. You should look about the 1930's. Make sure you brush up on your matador skills though. Brauds love matadors!

A kindle in the 1930's?! *scoffs*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Your description makes it sound like you're looking for a local. Given the size of London it would probably be helpful to mention your whereabouts, as a local that's an hour away by Tube is unlikely to suit...

My favourite haunt in the Kilburn area is the Earl Darby - good food, a great beer selection, a good atmosphere, and they even have a pinball machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Tend to go to the Auld Shillelagh in Stoke Newington if I fancy a pint and have no other plans.

Best pint of Guinness I've had in London, has all the sport on TV, big beer garden, nice staff, friendly atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

Jamey wrote: »
    Tend to go to the Auld Shillelagh in Stoke Newington if I fancy a pint and have no other plans.

Best pint of Guinness I've had in London, has all the sport on TV, big beer garden, nice staff, friendly atmosphere.

Best pub in London imo

Nice pint and the staff are very sound. Im moving away from n16 soon so going to miss it loads:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The Shillelagh is good, Roscommon boss I think. The Bank of Friendship on Blackstock Road Highbury. Busy on Arsenal home game days. Kilkenny gaffer, Christy. Nice and relaxing on a Saturday morning, a few pints of London and pick out the horses. They had the Cork County hurling final on TV there one Sunday, must be Setanta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The fella who owns the Shillelagh is a guy called Aengus and he's from Roscommon yeah, up the road from it then is Ryan's which is owned by Jed from Tramore. A sound man who I know fairly well. Both great pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What's the place across the road from the Shill? Ended up in there one night after last orders in the Shill, kind of a standard English pub feel, a few dodgy characters knocking around in there, slot machines etc and a bloke in a Munster jersey. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Place at the end of Northcote Road (Battersea) called The Eagle Ale House. Excellent any time I've been there.

seachto7 wrote: »
    What's the place across the road from the Shill? Ended up in there one night after last orders in the Shill, kind of a standard English pub feel, a few dodgy characters knocking around in there, slot machines etc and a bloke in a Munster jersey. ;)

The Daniel Defoe perhaps? It's run by an Irishman I think.

• Advertisement

Best pub in London imo

Nice pint and the staff are very sound. Im moving away from n16 soon so going to miss it loads:(

I've never lived in N16 but the Shillelagh is worth the trip up on the bus :)

It's quite difficult to get home from though if you're going south due to the one-way system on Stoke Newington High St... always have to walk about half a mile down to Dalston after closing time to get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

I've never lived in N16 but the Shillelagh is worth the trip up on the bus :)

It's quite difficult to get home from though if you're going south due to the one-way system on Stoke Newington High St... always have to walk about half a mile down to Dalston after closing time to get home!

Ahh you silly goose you can get the bus from the top of Rectory road!

Ahh you silly goose you can get the bus from the top of Rectory road!

Must look into that - great to know :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Anyone got the score on a pub near Pimlico tube, possibly the Pride of Pimlico or similar. I popped in one lunch for a sandwich. They had a photo of the Kerry team behind the bar. Don't know if it's an Irish landlord. There's was a few Irish in there who are with Ballymore. They are on a big job in Vauxhall. I was in a rush and there wasn't a chance to ask about matches, music etc.

The Daniel Defoe perhaps? It's run by an Irishman I think.

That's the one I think, going by the pics. There were some dodgy heads in there.
    I don't live in London, but have been in pubs in different spots around there, and the auld shillelagh is a good spot. Good service in there. Better than a lot of "trendy" pubs in Camden.
    There are a few good ones down in Islington near the Angel tube station, but the names escape me.
    There is one in Hackney with a parrot that flies around the place as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

There's actually thousands of wild parrots in London, you seem them all over the north and the west especially, Ealing is a good place to see them.

seachto7 wrote: »
    That's the one I think, going by the pics. There were some dodgy heads in there.
    I don't live in London, but have been in pubs in different spots around there, and the auld shillelagh is a good spot. Good service in there. Better than a lot of "trendy" pubs in Camden.
    There are a few good ones down in Islington near the Angel tube station, but the names escape me.
    There is one in Hackney with a parrot that flies around the place as well.

The one in Hackney with the Parrot is Biddle Bros on Lower Clapton Road I believe

That be it.

Advertisement