Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I take a lump sum from my pension

Options
  • 13-07-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I've been working 13 years and recently let go does anybody know cud I take a lump sum from my pension and how do I go about it

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How old are you? Did you pay into any avc's?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kimbokai

How old are you? Did you pay into any avc's?

I'm 29 and what is an avc ?
    Thank you

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You need to be 50 to take early retirement. AVC is additional voluntary contribution.

Sounds like you can't take a lump sum now therefore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kimbokai

So there's no way I can take money from my pension even though I'm not retiring

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you paid additional voluntary contributions (AVC), you are now allowed cash in up to 30% of the value of the AVC but you have to pay your top rate of tax on the withdrawal.

If you have no AVC, you cannot withdraw a cent until you draw a pension when you are 50 if the trustees of the scheme agree, otherwise at your 'normal retirement age' which is defined in your pension scheme.

• Advertisement
Advertisement