Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shower Multifunction Tap

• 13-07-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭

Bought a shower cubicle cabinet in B&Q.

Hard water possibly has clogged the cold flow of the Water mixer - so it only gives hot water - ouch.

There is a all-one-piece Three-Taps to control the water flow and temperature- so I cannot replace the broken tap - I don't want have to replace the whole shower cubicle.

I've removed the mixer cartrige - soaked it for two days in limescale remover - looks clean - but its still blocked.

Question:
    1. Can it be disassembled any further? Removed circlip but doesn't seem to want to come apart - I don't want break it.

2. If not is it possible to buy a new whole brass piece like this?

Thanks.

Tap Mixer Insert - grub screw held it in place - circlip removed.

10p6783.jpg9uuupx.jpg

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What you have there in the photo is a thermostatic cartridge. This needs to be replaced.

As B&Q sells British plumbing fittings made for the British market & not for Ireland there wont be a trade counter in Ireland that will stock this. As B&Q don't stock parts I doubt you will get one anywhere in Ireland.

Your only hope is to bring the part to B&Q, ask for the manager & beg him/her to see if they can get in touch with the manufacturer for you.

This is the HUGH problem with B&Q is they don't stock parts for the products they sell. If you buy a shower door from them & 2 years later a wheel breaks off, you need to buy a new door. If you buy a toilet & cistern & a part goes in the cistern, they wont have the part & the Irish trade counters wont have a clue where to get one.

I use B&Q myself but you have to be very selective on what you buy

You could try here http://www.notjusttaps.co.uk/screwfix-tap-spares.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

... got a replacement one on Ebay in the end..

So I looked again at the old one I found out that it does actually come apart (but tricky to get grip).

For anyone in the same position - Immediately after the first large black seal from the tap end- hard to see the join, but, it does twist standard anticlockwise to separate into two halfs - bits inside easily accessible then.
    It might have been fixable had I not destroyed the unit looking for where it opened.

There is a slider that's supposed move really freely up and down inside the tap - With mine this had become difficult to slide with the hard water.

Anyway, new one was easy to fix and and its working perfectly - thanks.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    ... got a replacement one on Ebay in the end..

So I looked again at the old one I found out that it does actually come apart (but tricky to get grip).

For anyone in the same position - Immediately after the first large black seal from the tap end- hard to see the join, but, it does twist standard anticlockwise to separate into two halfs - bits inside easily accessible then.
    It might have been fixable had I not destroyed the unit looking for where it opened.

There is a slider that's supposed move really freely up and down inside the tap - With mine this had become difficult to slide with the hard water.

Anyway, new one was easy to fix and and its working perfectly - thanks.

How much was the part in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    How much was the part in the end?

Heres the link - worked out at 27 pounds when delivered to parcelmotel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360939560466

“Roll it back”

Thats super cheap! You can pay €200 for some of the Mira ones. You done well.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement