Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PPE for an enormous noggin

• 13-07-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

Was doing an initial pre-IBT taster the other day, and the school had trouble finding a helmet that fit me - eventually let me do it on an open chin helmet, but only just.

Since I've had this problem before (having an enormous noggin, and hat shopping being difficult!) I'm wondering where would people recommend shopping for PPE if I'm going to go ahead and do the IBT? School has a jacket and trousers that go on me, so just the lid for now.

This would be in the Dublin/Kildare region, but willing to travel a bit if it's worth it. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Stick up a picture of you "CRUST" so we can take the piss help you the very best we can......Nah in all seriousness, Bikeworld have a huge selection of helmets from the very cheap up to the extremely dear. My advice is to go in there or similar and try on as many as you can.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Different helmets fit differently even though they say they are the same size. Go to one of the bike shops and try every helmet you can get your hand on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I can tip into bikeworld or somewhere handy enough, just wondered was there a place that had a particularly good range there and then. I've had enough push-bike shops fob me off with 'we can order it for you if you pay for it now' business.

Wonda-boy: Here is an artist's impression: http://drenn1077.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/big-head.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

From my experience all the shops carry pretty much the same range. Drop in any one you have close by and have a look, but don't get excited and buy straight away. Get the details and have a look online for price differences!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

What height are you? Do you have a giant head on a normal size body?

• Advertisement

He is a walking caricature......

[URL="[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/1z228w2.jpg[/IMG]"]1z228w2.jpg[/URL]

Pugzilla wrote: »
    What height are you? Do you have a giant head on a normal size body?

I'm 5'10", and relatively large head for body size - take anything up to and including an 8 in hat size.

Well you could take a trip up to Crossans in Newry and get an Arai helmet Custom fitted to your head shape for no extra charge. When I got my lid up there it did not fit me bang on so they changed around the padding inside for a lovely snug fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Different helmets fit differently even though they say they are the same size. Go to one of the bike shops and try every helmet you can get your hand on!

And the most important bit is too leave it on for a while. Never realised that helmets would be different fits till I got my Shark and had headaches from the pressure on my forehead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Had the same problem myself. Unfortunately you're very limited on choice ( i was keen to get a nice Arai/Shoei ) but they just don't do the sizes in a nice helmet.

Got a XXXL HJC helmet off these folks that fits my massive noggin ! They're Newry based. http://www.thevisorshop.com/

• Advertisement

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Had the same problem myself. Unfortunately you're very limited on choice ( i was keen to get a nice Arai/Shoei ) but they just don't do the sizes in a nice helmet.

Got a XXXL HJC helmet off these folks that fits my massive noggin ! They're Newry based. http://www.thevisorshop.com/

Same crowd as I mentioned above, can be tricky to find. If going up PM me and I give you detailed directions m8

Thanks for the recommendations folks. Got myself sorted up in Newry today.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations folks. Got myself sorted up in Newry today.

Hope you found it alright mate.....

Yep, got a generous discount off the sticker price as well, although I think it's an EOL helmet (Shoei Multitec).

Advertisement