Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new cat

• 13-07-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭

We got a rescued cat a number of week's ago. We have kept him in as advised by the shelter and got his shots done. He's only a year old.
    He's been let out now, this is his 4th day.
    He's neutered by the way.

He squared up to a regular black cat last night in the driveway but it didn't come to much.
    He had a fight tonight with this Tom that goes around. He stood his ground at first when he came down from the fence but ran into the flowers where he was chased and your man had a go at him. He ran into the house then and the other cat wascoming Iin after him until I ran him.

What i want to know is will this cat cause my cat to run away and not come back? Or will he eventually fight his corner?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 taraniluanaigh

Did your cat stay around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The other cat sounds like an un-neutered tom cat, so he probably sees your house as part of his territory and your new cat as an intruder on his patch, so he will probably try to chase your cat off. If the other cat isn't neutered the odds are that he probably isn't vaccinated so if he fights with your cat then your cat could pick up any kind of nasty disease from the bites.

Also, bites can lead to abcesses forming and they aren't cheap to get treated at the vets. My advice would be to keep your cat as an indoor cat if possible, they're safer that way. Of course if you could get hold of the other cat and get him neutered yourself it would cut down on a lot of the aggression. It's Feral Cat week next week and a lot of vets are doing reduced cost neutering and spaying to encourage people to get it done. I Know it's not your cat, but if the owners won't get him neutered nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

. Of course if you could get hold of the other cat and get him neutered yourself it would cut down on a lot of the aggression. It's Feral Cat week next week and a lot of vets are doing reduced cost neutering and spaying to encourage people to get it done. I Know it's not your cat, but if the owners won't get him neutered nothing will change.

Is the other cat catchable? I wonder would it bw possible to attach a note to his collar (if he is not feral) saying your cat is causing problems, neuter him or keep him in, or I will get him neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Is the other cat catchable? I wonder would it bw possible to attach a note to his collar (if he is not feral) saying your cat is causing problems, neuter him or keep him in, or I will get him neutered.

The OP could try, but in my experience if people haven't bothered to get a cat spayed/neutered when they first get it then they're unlikely to do it down the line. It just seems to be an ingrained mentality in Ireland not to bother with spaying/neutering of cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

He stuck around alright and has fought off the other tom :-) he owns his own place now. I found out where the other tom lives and he is a pet but not nutered, i seen him spraying the fence before.

Jasper is starting to rule the roost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

JohnnieK wrote: »
    He stuck around alright and has fought off the other tom :-) he owns his own place now. I found out where the other tom lives and he is a pet but not nutered, i seen him spraying the fence before.

Jasper is starting to rule the roost.
    Please suggest to the owner to get him sprayed; cats like that is exactly the reason why there are a ton of wild kittens every year...

Advertisement