Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Gillette DEs or other vintage razors

• 13-07-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

For some time now, I have been anxious to try and lay my hands on an old Gillette razor - I really regret not keeping an eye on my father's, which is now God only knows where.

I have watched a few on Ebay and other sites, but they seem to go for fairly high prices; I have also trawled a few charity shops, hoping some might turn up there, but to no avail - all the US shaving sites seem to have endless stories about buyers finding great bargains at knock-down prices. Anyone know of any shops (antique, charity....) where old style DE razors might appear for sale?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

There is a liquidation shop in Tallaght that I've seen them in from time to time.

I would suggest you sign up to one of the shaving forums and have a look in the buy and sell section. You should find a good deal easily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I bought my 1952 black tip Gillette SS off of Etsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I recently acquired a Gillette Rocket off ebay for £31.

You can still do ok on ebay if you don't want to wait for a deal to come up on the forums. Some of the ebay sellers are a lot more thorough with their pics as the most mint ones command the highest bids. You can miss out on this on the forums, but they can be good if you just want to try the razor. You can also get a razor replated for £20 so that's an option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Thanks for responses, any particular razors worth looking out for - ideally I'm looking for something a bit more aggressive than my current Edwin Jagger.

BuJqs6k.jpg?1
    I think they're all going to be more aggressive that your EJ. That said I only have experience with the Rocket. It definitely has a bit more bite, but after a week with it I've learned to tame it. I'm pretty happy with it thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

newkie, that Gillette Rocket has a lovely bright sheen to it, has it been replated at all?

Just to add, for Buddy97mm.. search the eBay sites with European domains (.fr .de .es), including local spellings for razors, shaving etc.. all sort of oddities can turn up in German listings for, 'Rasur', 'Rasierer', French listings for, 'Rasage', 'Rasoir' etc..

If you have a smart phone and the eBay app, set up 'Saved searches' and log in now and then to browse results.

Take your time, razors pop up all the time with European results, don't just focus on US/UK/Ireland..

Amalgam wrote: »
    newkie, that Gillette Rocket has a lovely bright sheen to it, has it been replated at all?

No, it's just my phone isn't capable of a proper macro shot so it probably looks nicer in the photo. There are little scratches and dents on the bar and doors. But that said, it is in about as nice condition as my 3yo EJ89.

Is there a replating service in Ireland/UK at the moment? The main vendor mentioned in the UK seems to have suspended the service for the time being.

Advertisement