Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm absolutely delighted that Messi didn't win the World Cup...

• 13-07-2014 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

Well done to Germany, they well deserved their victory.

However, Lionel Messi has been pretty useless in the tournament overall, but especially in the latter stages. He only touched the ball once against Holland in the semi-final and was pretty anonymous again tonight in the final against Germany.

And, to think people were trying to compare him to Maradona before the tournament, lol. He's at his peak now and the tournament was was held in South America, so realistically this was probably his best ever chance to lift the World Cup.

But why is Messi so overrated?

After the game tonight, the great John Giles just excused Messi's abysmal performance because "he was a bit tired", lol. I bet he wouldn't be so lenient on someone like Cristiano Ronaldo! In fact, C Ronaldo actually made more of an impact in this World Cup than Messi did, even though he played less games.

Anyone else agree with me that Messi isn't that great? He's not really able to do it on the big stage and isn't anywhere near as good as Maradona was at his peak in the 80s.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Sure scoring hundreds of goals for Barcelona means nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hello rayne...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Not able to do it in the big games sure didn't he single handedly take United apart in a Champions League final for Barcelona at one point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

A right a - hole too so im led to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

retalivity wrote: »
    Hello rayne...

Oh another re-reg accusation. That's new for this forum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

He won payer of the tournament. Although I'm not sure why, but then no one else really stood out either.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

However, Lionel Messi has been pretty useless in the tournament overall, but especially in the latter stages. He only touched the ball once against Holland in the semi-final and was pretty anonymous again tonight in the final against Germany.

And, to think people were trying to compare him to Maradona before the tournament, lol. He's at his peak now and the tournament was was held in South America, so realistically this was probably his best ever chance to lift the World Cup.

After the game tonight, the great John Giles just excused Messi's abysmal performance because "he was a bit tired", lol. I bet he wouldn't be so lenient on someone like Cristiano Ronaldo! In fact, C Ronaldo actually made more of an impact in this World Cup than Messi did, even though he played less games.

Anyone else agree with me that Messi isn't that great? He's not really able to do it on the big stage and isn't anywhere near as good as Maradona was at his peak in the 80s.

What World Cup were you watching, 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Not able to do it in the big games sure didn't he single handedly take United apart in a Champions League final for Barcelona at one point

I think that was more the best midfield trio of all time than Messi...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Good man yourself. Is there any need for this petty ****e? Great team around him too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Sure scoring hundreds of goals for Barcelona means nothing

Easy enough to perform well when you're playing in one of the greatest clubs sides of all times (which Barcelona were for a few years), with players like Xavi and Iniesta passing it around the opposition!

C. Ronaldo, or Maradona never had this luxury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No, you are very wrong.

It was Xavi and Iniesta that took United apart that day, not Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Xavi and Iniesta have done alright without Messi, Messi not so much without his Barca boys

nullzero wrote: »
    He won payer of the tournament. Although I'm not sure why, but then no one else really stood out either.

Clearly, James Rodriguez should have won player of the tournament.

More bollix from FIFA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Xavi and Iniesta have done alright without Messi, Messi not so much without his Barca boys

Yeah he just got his team to the World Cup final... Sure everyone can do that.

°°°°°

More bollix from FIFA!

Just for being called Ham-ez I would have thought.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

More bollix from FIFA!
    Robben for me aside from his antics he put in some good energetic performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

shamrock55 wrote: »
    A right a - hole too so im led to believe

Why so? In what way?

°°°°°

feargale wrote: »
    Why so? In what way?

Ditched PES and defected to fifa when the going got tough.

Glazers Out!

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Yeah he just got his team to the World Cup final... Sure everyone can do that.

No he didn't, not singlehandedly anyway.

Unlike Maradona in 86, Messi has some decent world class players around him in this Argentinian team. Decent players that ply their trade in some of Europe's biggest clubs; Lavezzi, Di Maria, Demichellis, Aguero, Mascherano. Compare these players to the 1986 Argentina side and you will se that there is no comparison between Messi and Maradona!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They wouldn't have gotten out of the group stages only for messi so he had plenty of impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I don't agree with the messi hate but found it interesting that Neuer made more passes in the world cup than Messi did.

rob316 wrote: »
    They wouldn't have gotten out of the group stages only for messi so he had plenty of impact.

LOL, that's nonsense. Argentina have some decent players (aside from Messi) and also had the luxury of being in a handy group, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

In fact, C Ronaldo actually made more of an impact in this World Cup than Messi did, even though he played less games.

:D While Messi was below what we've seen from him in a Barcelona shirt in this world cup, that statement is still one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen. Ronaldo put in one good cross in the World Cup (he may have scored in Portugals last game as well, I didn't see it) Messi scored 4 goals, giving his country crucial victories along the way, he also created the goal in extra time to win the last 16 game. Even tonight he almost created a couple, and was inches away from scoring. And that was him off form.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I don't agree with the messi hate but found it interesting that Neuer made more passes in the world cup than Messi did.

I suppose it also proves that he's a glory-hunting bastard. I'd hate to play with a player like that, you'd never get a pass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

What a ****ing stupid thread.

brevity wrote: »
    What a ****ing stupid thread.

And yet your contribution has added so much!

Thanks for posting!

I suppose it also proves that he's a glory-hunting bastard. I'd hate to play with a player like that, you'd never get a pass!

No no. He still created the most chances in the WC (I think) And was involved in 87% Argentinas goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

No no. He still created the most chances in the WC (I think) And was involved in 87% Argentinas goals.

No he didn't, Ozil did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I don't think the OP is interested in facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

And yet your contribution has added so much!

Thanks for posting!

its added more than the ignorant ramblings that you have put forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

One player shouldnt have to drag an entire team through a 32 team tournament to be considered the best etc.. He played a massive hand in getting them out of the group, set up the goal to beat switzerland too in the last 16. Clearly not the best player but spare me, the likes of hazard/ronnie/the entire fcuking spain team etc had much worse tournaments than him.

As for this...

Barcelona
    La Liga: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11, 2012–13; Runner-up 2006–07, 2011-12, 2013–14
    Copa del Rey: 2008–09, 2011–12; Runner-up 2010–11, 2013–14
    Supercopa de España: 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013; Runner-up 2012
    UEFA Champions League: 2005–06, 2008–09, 2010–11
    UEFA Super Cup: 2009, 2011; Runner-up 2006
    FIFA Club World Cup: 2009, 2011
    Argentina
    Olympic Gold Medal: 2008
    FIFA U-20 World Cup: 2005
    Runner-up:

FIFA World Cup: 2014
    Copa America: 2007
    Third place:

U20 South American Youth Championship: 2005
    Individual
    FIFA Ballon d'Or (3): 2010, 2011, 2012. Created in 2010.
    Ballon d'Or (1): 2009. Ceased to exist after 2009.
    FIFA World Player of the Year (1): 2009. Ceased to exist after 2009.
    World Soccer Player of the Year (3): 2009, 2011, 2012.
    World Soccer Greatest XI of All Time: 2013.
    Onze d'Or (3): 2009, 2011, 2012. No winner in 2010.
    European Golden Shoe (3): 2010, 2012, 2013.
    UEFA Best Player in Europe Award (1): 2011. Created in 2011.
    UEFA Club Footballer of the Year (1): 2009. Ceased to exist in 2010.
    FIFA Club World Cup Golden Ball (2): 2009, 2011.
    UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match (1): 2011.
    UEFA Champions League Top Goalscorer (4): 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
    L'Équipe Champion of Champions : 2011.
    FIFA U-20 World Cup Player of the Tournament (1): 2005.
    FIFA U-20 World Cup Top Goalscorer (1): 2005.
    LFP Best Player (5): 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
    La Liga Player of the Year (3): 2009, 2010, 2011.
    La Liga Foreign Player of the Year (3): 2007, 2009, 2010. Ceased to exist in 2010.
    Pichichi Trophy (3): 2010, 2012, 2013.
    LFP Best Forward (5): 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
    UEFA Champions League Forward of the Year (1): 2009. Ceased to exist in 2010.
    La Liga Ibero-American Player of the Year (5): 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
    FIFPro World Young Player of the Year (3): 2006, 2007, 2008.
    World Soccer Young Player of the Year (3): 2006, 2007, 2008.
    Bravo Award (1): 2007.
    Golden Boy (1): 2005.
    Marca Legend Award (1): 2009.
    Trofeo Alfredo Di Stéfano (3): 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11
    ESPY Best International Athlete (1): 2012.
    El País King of European Soccer (4): 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.[319]
    IFFHS World's Top Goal Scorer (2): 2011, 2012.[320]
    IFFHS World's best Top Division Goal Scorer (1): 2012.[321]
    FIFA/FIFPro World XI (7): 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
    UEFA Team of the Year (5): 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
    ESM Team of the Year (7): 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
    Copa América Young Player of the Tournament (1): 2007.
    Copa América Top Assist Provider (1): 2011.
    Copa del Rey Top Goalscorer (1): 2010–11, 2013–14.
    Argentine Sportsperson of the Year Award (1): 2011.
    Olimpia de Plata (8): 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
    2014 FIFA World Cup Man of the Match (4): vs Bosnia and Herzegovina, vs Iran, vs Nigeria, vs Switzerland.
    2014 FIFA World Cup: Best Player
    Records
    As of 5 June 2014.
    World
    Most FIFA Ballon d'Or awards: 4[322]
    Guinness World Records title for the most goals in a year: 91 goals[323]
    Most international goals in a year (club and national team): 25 goals (shared with Vivian Woodward)
    Most consecutive league matches scored in: 21 matches (33 goals)[324]
    First footballer ever to score consecutively against all teams in a professional league[325]
    Europe
    Most European Golden Shoe awards: 3[326]
    Most goals scored in a season (club): 73 goals[123]
    Most goals scored in a year (club): 79 goals[327]
    Most European Cup top scorer awards: 4 (shared with Gerd Müller)[328]
    Most consecutive European Cup top scorer awards: 4[328]
    Most hat-tricks in UEFA Champions League: 4 hat-tricks[169]
    Highest scorer in a UEFA Champions League game: 5 goals[329]
    Most goals scored in UEFA Champions League knockout phase: 31 goals
    Only player to score in 21 different cities in the European Cup
    Argentina
    Most goals scored in a year (national team): 12 goals (shared with Gabriel Batistuta)[330]
    Spain
    Most goals scored for a single club: 354 goals
    Most away goals scored in La Liga history: 107 goals[166]
    Most goals scored in La Liga in a season: 50 goals[331]
    Most consecutive La Liga matches scored in: 21 matches (33 goals)[324]
    Most La Liga hat-tricks in a season: 8 hat-tricks[332]
    Youngest player to score 200 La Liga goals: 25 years[333]
    First player to score at least 25 goals in 5 consecutive seasons in La Liga (shared with Cristiano Ronaldo)
    Most goals scored in El Clásico matches: 21 goals
    Most hat-tricks in El Clásico matches: 2
    Most goals scored in the Supercopa de España: 10 goals
    Barcelona
    Top scorer in official competitions: 354 goals
    Top scorer in La Liga: 243 goals
    Top scorer in UEFA Champions League: 67 goals
    Top scorer in European competitions: 68 goals
    Top scorer in international competitions: 72 goals
    Most hat-tricks in official competitions: 26 hat-tricks
    Most hat-tricks in La Liga: 19 hat-tricks

I was going to screen shot it and post it but the list is literally too fcuking long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Nothing will take away from Messi's brilliance but his influence has waned dramatically since the group stages, and all lot of it is down to him.

There was nothing stopping him from dropping into midfield and getting on the ball more and running at the German's from a deeper position. Of course that would have required him to get involved more, and maybe run when he doesn't have the ball at his feet. He ran quick enough to chase down a player when he made a mistake and lost the ball...

He could have done far more damage if he applied himself more rather than just hanging about in the final third. He's disappointed me for the most part in this World Cup.

klose wrote: »
    One player shouldnt have to drag an entire team through a 32 team tournament to be considered the best etc.. He played a massive hand in getting them out of the group, set up the goal to beat switzerland too in the last 16. Clearly not the best player but spare me, the likes of hazard/ronnie/the entire fcuking spain team etc had much worse tournaments than him.

I just don't see why he's lauded so much and overrated by the RTE panel.

Is it because he's perceived to be a nice guy? Much the same way that Paul Scholes was always overhyped and overrated, just because he was a nice, quiet lad, but was never able to do it on the international stage for England.

I just don't get all the hype for Messi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I just don't see why he's lauded so much and overrated by the RTE panel.

Is it because he's perceived to be a nice guy? Much the same way that Paul Scholes was always overhyped and overrated, just because he was a nice, quiet lad, but was never able to do it on the international stage for England.

I don't think bill, eamonn, john and liams opinion represents everyones. He's has like 42 goals in 90ish games for argentina, hes doing his part, if argentina aren't winning things you look at the collective 11 and not just 1 player. Higuain and aguero had worse tournaments really. Di maria didnt carry his madrid form either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So the soccer access thing kicks in now and the clowns get removed? yeah?

methinks this wont happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Schadenfreude for the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

htf_imgcache_38390.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Him and Mascherno carried a fairly mediocre team to a World Cup final and nearly won. :confused: I agree that he shouldn't have won player of the tournament, but the OP is one of the worst posts I've seen on this forum, and there's a lot of stupid posts on here. :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

There's such a smell of rubbish off this entire post, its hard to know where to even begin.

• Advertisement

Montroseee wrote: »
    No he didn't, Ozil did.

You got a source for this? . Espn say he created the highest with 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You'd hate top lay on a team with Messi? :rolleyes:

If you don't get the hype for him, maybe you should have watched some football over the last 7 or 8 years before starting this idiotic thread gloating that he didn't win the world cup. Guess what, C Ronaldo didn't either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Doper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sandraevra

I'm just Delighted Brazil or Holland did not win it.

I think i would have puked IF brazil or Holland won it.

Messi you are and always will be a Legend anyway.

Well done Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sandraevra

Doper

Your a doper?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

A thread specifically to revel in the fact that a great player didn't win the world cup is not needed, there have already been a load of potentially infractionable posts in here too so it's now closed. If you want to discuss if Messi is really that great I see the Messi vs Ronaldo thread has been bumped again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement