Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Thought he was the worst of the front 5 by a long way. Even some of his passes/through balls weren't great as they usually are but he popped up with an assist!

Cazorla justified his central inclusion and Ozil just played 7 games on the left in a World Cup winning team so the excuse of being on the left doesn't wash. Really need much more from him if we are being honest with ourselves.

Wilshere is being credited with the assist tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Soups123 wrote: »
    Appreciate the write up from the ground, I like when you stick those up always a good read.

Funny how it can look different, Jack had a few loose passes but he kept driving them all game and did well for the goal.

I thought Cazorla was superb, worked his socks off.

Sanchez looked great on TV too, looks very Suarezesque!

Cheers!

One thing I meant to say was that the club has to do something about the no shows. The game was a sell out. The touts were trying to buy rather than sell tickets beforehand yet when you get into the ground I reckon at least 6k seats were empty. Absolutely frustrating given there is demand for the seats but the club is trying to do things with the seat exchange etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Rabiot was with city a few years ago?

Chelsea meant to be interested too, doubt it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

djPSB wrote: »
    That team is crying out for a top striker.

It's fairly incompetent by Wenger really, he can have no excuses. He's had time to sort the issue.

He's not getting the best out of Ozil or Sanchez either. They're not been played in their best positions.

Unless he figured his best bet this summer was to get Sanchez and play him as a striker.

Then you're plain wrong.

People will moan and whine regardless but the absolute nailed on positions we needed to fill over the summer were RB, backup defender and a striking alternate/support to Giroud.

I really can't see 3 better players out there than Debuchy, Chambers and Sanchez.

If people don't recognise that, then I really don't think they're being fair at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Thought he was the worst of the front 5 by a long way. Even some of his passes/through balls weren't great as they usually are but he popped up with an assist!

Cazorla justified his central inclusion and Ozil just played 7 games on the left in a World Cup winning team so the excuse of being on the left doesn't wash. Really need much more from him if we are being honest with ourselves.

Though ozil was brilliant tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Soups123 wrote: »
    I thought he was very good.

The being played out left excuse does wash with me, we signed him as the best in the world in his position and have failed to play him there

We played him there a good bit last season. Cazorla was outstanding there tonight.

I don't think he was very good. I really don't. I have him down as one of the absolute best in the world but yet to see it consistently.

I think he should get the assist tonight though even if Jack got a touch the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Sanchez will be our player of the year.

Chambers will be the value signing of the season.

Debuchy will make me money backing him to be booked. But he is a great buy.

No complaints from me on the transfer market so far.

gosplan wrote: »
    Unless he figured his best bet this summer was to get Sanchez and play him as a striker.

Then you're plain wrong.

People will moan and who he regardless but the absolute nailed on positions we needed to fill over the summer were RB, backup defender and a striking alternate/support to Giroud.

I really can't see 3 better players out there than Debuchy, Chambers and Sanchez.

If people don't recognise that, then I really don't think they're being fair at all.

After the game tonight, Wenger literally said he bought Alexis to play as a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Looper007 wrote: »
    put Ronnie Whelan on that list. They can't get over 89.

They're both just miserable in general, tbh. Whelan especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Raf32 wrote: »
    Twitter saying Rabiot could go through as early as tomorrow. Any good? doesnt seem to be a dm

He's a dm but at 19 a very young one. Think he'll be an astute signing, probably back up to Arteta initially (if he joins that is)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Well Debuchy is proving what I thought for years that he was destined to play for Arsenal, always thought he was class. Jack played really well, hopefully he keeps it up with Ramsey back in the team.
    Congrats to ye guys, wouldnt like to be in Wengers shoes picking his best side when Giroud, Ramsey and Theo come back
    Villa will be willing to take the OX on loan if ye are struggling to figure it out :cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

greendom wrote: »
    He's a dm but at 19 a very young one. Think he'll be an astute signing, probably back up to Arteta initially (if he joins that is)

Anything even remotely reliable backing this one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

It's his lack of work rate that hurts him in my eyes. when you see Sanchez bust a gut and you see Ozil stroll around, you want to kick him in the behind. But he wasn't bad in the second half though.

greendom wrote: »

Do you think he be a world class player though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

gosplan wrote: »

Then you're plain wrong.

People will moan and who he regardless but the absolute nailed on positions we needed to fill over the summer were RB, backup defender and a striking alternate/support to Giroud.

Sanchez as a striker is fine if there's someone up top with him.

He's not suited to playing as a lone striker.

Would a striker and Sanchez up front with Ozil playing off them not make more sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Was just on to say this, is he any good

We seem to be going for him instead of carvalho so I hope he is good

6"2.. at least he is somewhat of a big lad.

Could be a sign Flamini or someone is leaving, cant see Flam gettin a game if we have Arteta and another deep lying mid, especially if we are paying for one this time. If we an get another defender and prime chambers for a dm role this could be an interesting buy - but why is anyones guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Do you think he be a world class player though?

Right now? No
    In the future? Yes

Pudders wrote: »
    Cheers!

One thing I meant to say was that the club has to do something about the no shows. The game was a sell out. The touts were trying to buy rather than sell tickets beforehand yet when you get into the ground I reckon at least 6k seats were empty. Absolutely frustrating given there is demand for the seats but the club is trying to do things with the seat exchange etc.

Yip absolutely needs to be resolved and sorted soon especially the demand is there too. 5 or 6 k is a huge additional support every week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's his lack of work rate that hurts him in my eyes. when you see Sanchez bust a gut and you see Ozil stroll around, you want to kick him in the behind. But he wasn't bad in the second half though.

I think that's how people give mixed reviews on his game, take tonight there's a complete mix on opinion from superb to awful.

I think it boils down to what individuals expect to see.

I don't expect a player like Ozil to be judge on his work rate especially when we don't have the ball, I want him 100% dedicated to possession and playing that killer ball and let's be honest he does it well! It's no coincidence he was the player who played the pass for the goal again tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Chambers is our most exciting signing for me, yet to play his 30th professional game and looks like hes been in the team for years. Very good on the ball, a great athlete and looks like he has the head for it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

djPSB wrote: »
    Sanchez as a striker is fine if there's someone up top with him.

He's not suited to playing as a lone striker.

Would a striker and Sanchez up front with Ozil playing off them not make more sense?

I get what you mean but give him time.

The idea was that he'd play with Giroud or on his own sometimes or maybe on the wing sometimes.

That's a huge amount of options as regards formation and tactics. In my mind that was more important than replacing Giroud or signing a backup.

Look at it this way - need some players, get the best three we can find. Picture the squad if we do that again next summer.

Ah jeez no im not saying he was bad! Just lacked ffludity and a couple of his killer potential balls were a bit off. I don't think ya can say he was excellent though.

And I think we all now accept he his a lazy player in terms of workrate which is his style.

I just think we all realise he is potentially so much more influential than he has been. An understanding with Sanchez should come.

Sanchez - what a demon in and out of possession!

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Right now? No
    In the future? Yes

Well as long if he doesn't have a few okay seasons then has one awesome season then buggers off to City or Chelsea for the big bucks or costs us too much then I'm happy if it's true. Rather the big money goes on a striker now.

AdamD wrote: »
    Chambers is our most exciting signing for me, yet to play his 30th professional game and looks like hes been in the team for years. Very good on the ball, a great athlete and looks like he has the head for it too.

is it fair to say he could be a new Rio Fedinard or John Terry (without the cheating and racist side). I really think he could be that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

is it fair to say he could be a new Rio Fedinard or John Terry (without the cheating and racist side). I really think he could be that good.

Not at all. He's not a total Cnut!

Looks a hell of a prospect though. A fantastic signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Re Rabiot this guy doesn't always get stories right but generally he's pretty close...

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/roma-and-inter-attempt-to-buy-rabiot-but-arsenal-are-in-the-lead-the-latest/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Very possibly. He's been very impressive. I don't think he's as fast as Rio was in his prime though. Before he had all those back problems, his pace was one of his biggest assets and I don't think Chambers has that. I see more Terry with Chambers.

I know it's early but it looks like a great signing.

Ah jeez no im not saying he was bad! Just lacked ffludity and a couple of his killer potential balls were a bit off. I don't think ya can say he was excellent though.

And I think we all now accept he his a lazy player in terms of workrate which is his style.

I just think we all realise he is potentially so much more influential than he has been. An understanding with Sanchez should come.

Sanchez - what a demon in and out of possession!

Ah I'm not saying you said he was bad Johnny, but I did go mad myself when he could have laid Sanchez through once or twice but that will come good once he gets some of that match fitness back.

Sanchez had his best game tonight for us. amazing talent and a team player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Costa supposedly injured. The striker market could be fierce tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Twittersphere rumours that Costa has buggered his hamstring again. Better keep our fingers crossed that Chelsea don't try to nick any of our targets!

gandalf wrote: »
    Twittersphere rumours that Costa has buggered his hamstring again. Better keep our fingers crossed that Chelsea don't try to nick any of our targets!

What targets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Silly season has really begun now. Linked to Destro from Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Not good enough imo. No point in a club in Arsenal's position bringing in another "decent" striker. Go big or go home.

What is it that the kids would say? "Cavani or riot!" :p

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would love Destro, know nothing about him, but he has the same name as a character from GI Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Would love Destro, know nothing about him, but he has the same name as a character from GI Joe.

We could call him the destroyer. We need another manly nickname since the verminator left.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Not good enough imo. No point in a club in Arsenal's position bringing in another "decent" striker. Go big or go home.

What is it that the kids would say? "Cavani or riot!" :p
    gandalf wrote: »

Oh no...Zigic all the way :P

Oh no...Zigic all the way :P

Zigic and Sanogo up top could have potential.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

HazDanz wrote: »
    We could call him the destroyer. We need another manly nickname since the verminator left.

We have rambo!

Great win tonight and id be hard pressed to pick a poor performer if im being honest. Even Jack and Cazorla, both of whom i am normally not a fan of were very good.

Cant complain about Debuchy's red but otherwise the ref seemed to be a bit of a Hitler.

Either way were in the hat despite the close scare and we deserve to be. Should have been out of sight even before Besiktas had their chance. 17 and counting. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Not having a go but you seem to have a real thing against Ozil.

Most agree he was brilliant tonight yet your still not satisfied and think he was under par.

• Advertisement

Most agree he was brilliant tonight yet your still not satisfied and think he was under par.

I think what was great for me about Ozil tonight was with people playing with pace and bit more urgency he really came alive.

More speed in our game the better performances we will see out of Ozil I think.

I think what was great for me about Ozil tonight was with people playing with pace and bit more urgency he really came alive.

More speed in our game the better performances we will see out of Ozil I think.

I said i would be hard pressed to pick a bad performer but it would seem i stand corrected. Frustrated me no end tonight. Very poor. Crowd needs to start putting the heat on him a bit.

I said i would be hard pressed to pick a bad performer but it would seem i stand corrected. Frustrated me no end tonight. Very poor. Crowd needs to start putting the heat on him a bit.

He needs to be played in the middle, that's what needs to happen.

What frustrated you about his game tonight?

dorgasm wrote: »
    He needs to be played in the middle, that's what needs to happen.

You could be right but then i think his attitude and body language could be better.

What frustrated you about his game tonight?

Thought he seemed laboured and slow. Yes he did have one or two moments but you just dont get that sense that he can take a game by the scruff of the neck and he seems to just get bullied very easily.

Yep i agree. Jack and Cazorla were actually very good tonight but Ozil really needs to up the ante big time.

Delighted for Alexis though. Attitude is tremendous and it seemed to mean the world to him to break his duck. Was a huge monkey off his back and he then showed glimpses of what he is truly capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

You could be right but then i think his attitude and body language could be better.

Thought he seemed laboured and slow. Yes he did have one or two moments but you just dont get that sense that he can take a game by the scruff of the neck and he seems to just get bullied very easily.

Yes he said he wanted to score more goals this season.

He doesn't have pace but he has accuracy.

Would love to see him try curl a few into the top corners like Bergkamp used too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

AW came out after the game and said he signed Alexis as a striker, not a winger... With our other attacking options, I doubt we'll get the top striker we all want..

Maybe Rabiot and an underwhelming defensive signing is my prediction

I know yer not having a go Marty but I have higher expectations for such a talent than he has delivered. But I think he will be better this season but I don't accept everyone says he was excellent. They clearly don't. He had a couple of opportunites to put Sanchez in last night that are usually his bread and butter and he seemed a bit rusty.

I'm more flabbergasted with the constant bigging up of his most basic performances by a good few on here at times as if they are afraid of their lives to concede that he is falling short of the expectations we have for him as he is truly a brilliant player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ozil was rusty last night. If he had clicked with Sanchez or Wilshire we would have gotten a few more goals.

However the more time these players have on the pitch and in training the more they will understand each other and the more coherent things will be on the pitch. After the near heart attacks I found last night to be very heartening because I saw a lot that was very positive and I truly believe we saw a new Arsenal legend in the making. Sanchez was brilliant last night, he is going to torment teams especially in the CL!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement