Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Honestly cant for the life of me understand how some think Ozil wasnt great last night, can only think of once when he gave a poor ball when we were on the counter attack in the 2nd half, other than that his distribution was fantastic. You see the difference when he isnt in the team that we just dont look that dangerous going forward. I think even if Ozil scored a hatrick and played the game of his life some will still criticise the lad, I am not saying he was at his best but I gave him a 7.5/10 for his performance. You can see he is slowly hitting top form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I said i would be hard pressed to pick a bad performer but it would seem i stand corrected. Frustrated me no end tonight. Very poor. Crowd needs to start putting the heat on him a bit.

Yeah thats exactly what he needs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

jonny666 wrote: »
    Yeah thats exactly what he needs....

from the sounds of things last night they were on his back quite a bit already. Poor support really on just his second game back. Takes all sorts I suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

greendom wrote: »
    from the sounds of things last night they were on his back quite a bit already. Poor support really on just his second game back. Takes all sorts I suppose....
    I didn't hear Ozil get any stick last night. Jack however did actually get a bit of stick which is interesting given the views on here of his performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think he is wasted on the left wing, doesn't suit his style, even on the right it would suit better.

Put him in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Do people really think Ozil had a good game last night?? I find that bizarre, like someone said, worst of the top 5 easily. Playing on the wing doesn't excuse bad decisions and passes either, although look at the improvement in Santi's game playing through the middle compared to the left, i think we need Walcott back really soon so that Ozil and Santi can fight over the central role and have an actual winger play on the wing.

Pudders wrote: »
    I didn't hear Ozil get any stick last night. Jack however did actually get a bit of stick which is interesting given the views on here of his performance.

Were you anywhere near the RTE commentary team? Quite a bit of stuff was coming through their microphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Were you anywhere near the RTE commentary team? Quite a bit of stuff was coming through their microphones.

I specifically heard

with a big thick London accent ' you're the biggest piece of waste of money s*** I've ever seen, you f*****g waster, get him off the f*****g pitch..'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

In today's draw, could I please have
    Basel
    Olympiacos or Sporting Lisbon
    Malmo

Please??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Basel
    Malmo

Knowing our luck we'll get

Dortmund
    Bilbao
    Monaco

Basel
    Malmo

NVM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I thought we were very defensively solid and mature last night. Nacho and Debuchy were very good (I know he got sent off but don't think it should have been a second yellow). And when we were down to ten men we didn't panic, nobody dove into silly tackles in and around the box and we played out of defence calmly most of the time and relieved the pressure through Jack, Santi, Alexis.

We still haven't clicked yet going forward but getting the job done which is a solid base to work from. Now just need a couple of signings to bolster the squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

You could be right but then i think his attitude and body language could be better.

Thought he seemed laboured and slow. Yes he did have one or two moments but you just dont get that sense that he can take a game by the scruff of the neck and he seems to just get bullied very easily.

I think saying he seemed laboured is right, but that is his style. Always has been. Ozil as has been said before is the oil for this team. He allows runners to make their runs as they more often than not will get a top quality ball from him.

He's our quarterback, he doesn't need to be super quick, that's other peoples jobs, but he does need to hold the ball and give an effective forward pass. Which I think he did well in the game last night

Granted he had one or two miss communications with others but that will come with time - it is his second game of the season and for me what was most important is that he was there to make them plays.

I don't think many will argue that his best position is probable in the middle but in this current formation Wenger seems to prefer to play him on the wing. I think that causes issues with people looking at his performance as he isn't great defensively tracking back and also he is not a speedster on the wing with his movement more measured going forward which I think sometimes people construe as a lack of effort on Ozil's part.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The only stick I heard was from the away end, with Ozil having Turkish parents and playing for Germany, I would put it down to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought Ozil had a good game tonight. I find some of the criticism he gets as very odd.

Thought he was very good, carried the ball exceptionally down the left wing a few times and just drifted past players. Made it look so easy I don't think people appreciated. Lost it once when Alexis was looking to get in behind but Alexis couldn't hold his run and was offside I think. Was impressed how he raced back at one stage when Monreal got caught up the pitch. Ball didn't end up coming down that wing but Ozil had effectively settled into the LB position.

Completely agree with Pudders re the tickets as well, incredibly frustrating seeing empty seats!
    Raf32 wrote: »
    Silly season has really begun now. Linked to Destro from Roma.

I tweeted to Gunnerblog re Destro a few days ago asking if we could get him, hopefully Goal.com or whoever didn't spot the tweet and i'm not the source of the rumours! :o

Also, just thought i'd drop Wilshere's heat map here. Showed great energy to get around the place last night. Some passes didn't exactly come off but loved seeing him stride forward with the ball a few times last night and that little reverse pass to Alexis in the box was incredible!

2eg8dxs.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Lot of talk that this Rabiot transfer is a runner. Definitely in demand and looks a real prospect.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Seems pretty belivable that we would be in for him. Definitely a Wenger type signing.

34 appearances for PSG last season, must be decent enough. Would rather more of a finished article I suppose, but with Arteta just being made captain I guess it makes sense to have him slowly grow into the role. Would be great if he hit the ground running like Chambers has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

DiMarzio just tweeted we have bid for Papastathpoulos of Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Schalke, Ajax and Anderlecht please.

No travelling and all in pots greater than they should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Would be a riot trying to spell his name everytime if we did sign him :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

dvemail wrote: »

I would instantly shorten it to papa. Couldn't be dealing with that.

We'll use his first name, Socratis.

I highly doubt that it's true though. At this stage in his career, why would he come to Arsenal to be a back-up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

He uses Sokratis for short, we could manage that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Though ozil was brilliant tonight

I thought so too.

If you watch the goal, see his anticipation of Wilshere's pass as he moves towards the ball to create the angle for the return, not many who can do that.

HazDanz wrote: »
    I would instantly shorten it to papa. Couldn't be dealing with that.

I can see this being confusing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

We'll use his first name, Socratis.

I highly doubt that it's true though. At this stage in his career, why would he come to Arsenal to be a back-up?

He could easily be first choice within a year

If he lines up with Metersacker that's a lot of letters for forwards to get round.

Worst draw:

Zenit - Galatasary - Bate

Best draw:
    Basel - Ajax - Malmo

Possible greatest draw:
    Bayern - PSG - Liverpool - Monaco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Psg can't be drawn with Monaco

Worst draw:

Best draw:
    Basel - Ajax - Malmo

Possible greatest draw:

What??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Worst draw:

Best draw:
    Basel - Ajax - Malmo

Possible greatest draw:

Unfortunately Liverpool cannot get both PSG and Monaco as they are both French. Real, PSG/Dortmund and Roma is possible :)

I would fear something like:

PSG, Leverkeusen and Roma. All four would think they could go through.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What??

Due to travel time, the closer the teams we draw the better in terms of fatigue etc.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Due to travel time, the closer the teams we draw the better in terms of fatigue etc.

I would still rather them than Juve,Leverkusen,Roma etc, we have enough depth this year to rotate comfortably i feel.

Ah here, id have a stroke trying to pronounce that :D

On another note, is there a site where you can view in depth match stats for our games ie pass completion, key passes, distance travelled??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I like WhoScored

I would still rather them than Juve,Leverkusen,Roma etc, we have enough depth this year to rotate comfortably i feel.

Just so long as there are no Sat mornings away after having played away somewhere far flung on the Wednesday

maximoose wrote: »
    I like WhoScored

Interesting, Ozil worst rating apart from Debuchy. Also no offsides last night for Arsenal!? I didn't even notice, i like Sanchez up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭G1032

Manuel Almunia has retired from football. A 'heart condition' was detected during a medical.
    Hope he'll be OK but it's a heart condition that can cause sudden death according to this article

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/manuel-almunia-to-retire-former-arsenal-goalkeeper-has-heart-condition-9696417.html

Just watched the highlights from last night. Could someone explain the second yellow to Debuchy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Chambers, Wilshere and Ox in the England squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Just watched the highlights from last night. Could someone explain the second yellow to Debuchy?

Yep the ref was a Cnut :)

Certainly got the ball with the challenge but ref seems to have pulled him up on the contact before hand i.e. dragging and/or pushing the player.

Ref has tunnel vision if you look at a foul on Sanchez in that game, the guy played the ball but he also threw Sanchez on the ground, the ref was looking at the ball only and said fair challenge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭boccy23

Yep the ref was a Cnut :)
    Wouldn't agree. Debuchy went through the player.
    Also, very fortunate that Jack wasn't penalised in the first half. Thought he could easily have given the pen there.

maximoose wrote: »
    I like WhoScored

Cheers man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

boccy23 wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree. Debuchy went through the player.
    Also, very fortunate that Jack wasn't penalised in the first half. Thought he could easily have given the pen there.

Thought there was gonna be a pen given, but I couldn't see any contact on any of the replays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭boccy23

L'prof wrote: »
    Thought there was gonna be a pen given, but I couldn't see any contact on any of the replays.

Didn't see any either, but thought we were in trouble then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

L'prof wrote: »
    boccy23 wrote: »
    Didn't see any either, but thought we were in trouble then.

Wilshire admitted after the game that he did catch him!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I thought the biggest joke was chambers yellow card, what was that about?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I was disappointed at Wilshire going to ground as often as he does. Once you leave your feet you have bugger all control

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement