Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I was disappointed at Wilshire going to ground as often as he does. Once you leave your feet you have bugger all control

The guy slipped, that was obvious from the replay. He went to ground a fair bit but never got a booking or gave away a silly foul, i like when he plays like that, gives us someone strong in the middle and breaks up play.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

maybe it had more to do with how the game was on a knife-edge and all I could see was Wilshire making a reckless challenge and costing us a penalty.

I do agree that he showed a lot more desire last night then in recent games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭boccy23

I thought it was Jack's best game of the season last night. Does this mean he can't play with Rambo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

boccy23 wrote: »
    I thought it was Jack's best game of the season last night. Does this mean he can't play with Rambo?

Hard to know. One hand it seems that way yet on the other we have only played what..4 games? These things take time and patience. Will be same for Ozil and Sanchez so they can work each others habits out.

We have been very jittery and impatient here lately. We expect things to click immediately. When you think we have only played 4 compeyitive games its crazy.

We were basically writing off Wilshere, slating Giroud on the back of one awful performance yet he has scored 2 goals and created our equaliser against Palace and even Santi was written off a little despite having a goal, a super assist and a sparkling performance last night. ....all in three different games. Something we all guilty of and need to tone down

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Impressions so far.

Negative:
    We are not playing our best, and are only grinding out results.

Positive:
    We are not playing our best, but we ARE grinding out results.

I think that even though we've been a little lucky in a couple of the games, we've already shown that there is more belief and mental strength in this team. Two years ago, we probably would have lost a few of those games.

Looking forward to when the team clicks with each other again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

boccy23 wrote: »

At the moment no,
    But giving time I bet they will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Excited for this draw. Dont know how i would have felt if we werent in it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Raf32 wrote: »

I'd have been devastated.

I can see now why we switched to 4-1-4-1

I think it's all to do with the big games we will be really compact and try catch teams on the break with Sanchez and Walcott

Maybe it's not as bad as I first feared going to take more time to work on though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah it's always nice. Would appreciate at least a little nicer of a draw and then if we get to the knockout stages again not having to play Bayern again would be great. (it'll probably be Real this time)

• Advertisement

I remember a time when posters were hoping we wouldn't make it, for whatever there reasons were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What time is the cl draw at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What time is the cl draw at?
    4.30pm

Would love to get Ajax for some reason. Nice club and very beatable with little travel.

Yeah it's always nice. Would appreciate at least a little nicer of a draw and then if we get to the knockout stages again not having to play Bayern again would be great. (it'll probably be Real this time)

It was great last year having a big game every week to watch! I much rather that that mundan fixtures. That said I knew we wouldnt win it last year so if we got an easy group, even made the semi's thanks to an easier draw I'd be all game for that

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I can see now why we switched to 4-1-4-1

I think it's all to do with the big games we will be really compact and try catch teams on the break with Sanchez and Walcott

Maybe it's not as bad as I first feared going to take more time to work on though

It did work very well against City in the CS in fairness, I don't think we need to use it every game though. I can definitely see it being our "big game" formation.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It did work very well against City in the CS in fairness, I don't think we need to use it every game though. I can definitely see it being our "big game" formation.

I think he is persisting with it now to get the players used to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

What's the story with the Besiktas match not being available on Arsenal Player until 11pm on Saturday?
    League games are usually up the next day or so are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    What's the story with the Besiktas match not being available on Arsenal Player until 11pm on Saturday?
    League games are usually up the next day or so are they?

Was the same last week. Can catch the full game here

http://livefootballvideo.com/fullmatch/europe/uefa-champions-league/arsenal-vs-besiktas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

shano_88 wrote: »

Cheers, I had a link similar. Is this only a thing for CL games?
    Pretty sure I was able to watch Saturday and Sunday league games in work on Mondays last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    Cheers, I had a link similar. Is this only a thing for CL games?
    Pretty sure I was able to watch Saturday and Sunday league games in work on Mondays last year?

I'm not sure tbh. League games have been up fairly quickly this year aswell so maybe it is just a champions league thing.

I think the 4-1-4-1 formation suits us better but we need a very disciplined DM if it is to work and I'm not sure the club have one.

I was disappointed at Wilshire going to ground as often as he does. Once you leave your feet you have bugger all control
    He's still doing that thing of letting the ball run across him before taking a first touch or running onto it. If it was once in a while it'd be fine but opponents are able to read it now and it leads to him getting into more battles for the ball and losing it more than necessary.

He's still doing that thing of letting the ball run across him before taking a first touch or running onto it. If it was once in a while it'd be fine but opponents are able to read it now and it leads to him getting into more battles for the ball and losing it more than necessary.

Yeah it's pretty obvious.

I like Jack but he needs to just do the basics right and then focus on the tricky stuff once he starts to show a little form. The flicks and stuff is great when it comes off and it can spring a fast counter-attack but he loses the ball too much and it's pressure we can do without given our capacity to give away needless goals.

For me it's has the same affect as when Arteta is caught in possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Yeah we could really do with a clean sheet on Sunday, we've scored 4 in 2 in the prem league so far but the worry is were conceding silly goals, we need to get that sh1t out of our game if we want to compete.

A win on Sunday and we couldnt ask for a better start. We all would have took 7 points out of 9. Qualified for the Champions league and added another trophy so its been a great start to the season. Hopefully we get what we need now in the market in the next few days.

Looking back chambers was excellent when he came on, going to be some player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Looking back chambers was excellent when he came on, going to be some player

Agree completely....so far he has looked unreal...going to be a top centre half in my opinion. 16 million is a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

I thought Flamini was very good last night in the defensive midfield role. I'd still like a Khedira/Carvalho type in there.
    But i would love if we pulled off another Ozil type signing at the end of the transfer market. I can see Poloski maybe moving and wouldthen hopeto see Cavani....I know it won't happen..:) But my God, Cavani.......

• Advertisement

This day three years ago utd beat us 8-2

Anyone fancy going back and seeing what this forum was like back then, wonder have we many survivors from then

Rough rough times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Yeah we could really do with a clean sheet on Sunday, we've scored 4 in 2 in the prem league so far but the worry is were conceding silly goals, we need to get that sh1t out of our game if we want to compete.

Quite a few players haven't looked 100% percent but games will sort them out. Looking forward to seeing how the team plays after another few matches under its belt.

The two games against Besiktas have set us up nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,467 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not having a go but you seem to have a real thing against Ozil.

Most agree he was brilliant tonight yet your still not satisfied and think he was under par.

Ozil was very good but not outstanding.
    Very weak in the challenge and overhitting some passes.
    I expect him to improve and be player of the season.

yeah although I'll probably need a few days to recover, those Besiktas games should help to get us up to speed quicker.

One thing that I noticed was that he was sprinting back to cover. That's usually a complaint about him, but this time I think he made the effort.

I see Bayern are in for Alonso for about 10m - even at 32 he could do a job for us for a year or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sweet pass for the assist though :D

I think he's going to be fantastic.

I remember a time when posters were hoping we wouldn't make it, for whatever there reasons were

I think people were saying that if we're in it then we have to try and win it.
    Getting there and being knocked out just after the group stages is just not good enough anymore.
    They wanted Wenger to strengthen the squad and give the team a chance of actually winning the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I think people were saying that if we're in it then we have to try and win it.
    Getting there and being knocked out just after the group stages is just not good enough anymore.
    They wanted Wenger to strengthen the squad and give the team a chance of actually winning the CL.

I don't understand how people think that would work though. It's a catch 22. If you're not in the Champions League, it's harder to strengthen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I see Bayern are in for Alonso for about 10m - even at 32 he could do a job for us for a year or two

He's even less mobile than Arteta!
    If you watch Madrid, Alonso never really chases down players... That's Modric's job. Alonso's job is to keep the ball moving and to spread the play.

We need someone who can constantly chase down the ball when its in the middle.

• Advertisement

dorgasm wrote: »
    I don't understand how people think that would work though. It's a catch 22. If you're not in the Champions League, it's harder to strengthen.

It was after qualification that people wanted the squad strengthened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I see we're being linked with Carlos Bacca on twitter. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Savage player on Fifa - please please please be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

It was after qualification that people wanted the squad strengthened.

Oh right, I thought you meant people didn't want us to qualify to force some transfer activity.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    He's even less mobile than Arteta!
    If you watch Madrid, Alonso never really chases down players... That's Modric's job. Alonso's job is to keep the ball moving and to spread the play.

We need someone who can constantly chase down the ball when its in the middle.

i think having a DM to chase down players would be the wrong application. he's there to win the ball and then distribute it correctly. In a 4-1-4-1 formation having your DM run around the pitch and out of position is a disaster.

A DM in that formation must be rigid and disciplined in maintaining position

Roddy23 wrote: »
    I see we're being linked with Carlos Bacca on twitter. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Savage player on Fifa - please please please be true.

I have been hyping him up in here for ages, please god let this happen

Roddy23 wrote: »

I never know wether to take people serious with those comments
    I have been hyping him up in here for ages, please god let this happen

Who and what is he?

Soups123 wrote: »

Who and what is he?

Sevilla striker. Great dribbler, bit of Suarez about him. Colombian but think he could be around 28? Great talent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Soups123 wrote: »

Who and what is he?

Plays for Sevilla.
    He's just a pure goalscorer.. No fancy crap, just scores.

I think he has a fairly heafty buy-out clause - like all spanish based players - around €30m I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Everton were meant to be interested in him earlier on in the window and thought they could secure him for 14million until they went and bought Lukaku.

He was voted by Marca in Spain as the best transfer of last year's season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement