Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

shano_88 wrote: »
    tim payton @timpayton · 8h
    So of £100m for this window almost £75m has been spent by Arsenal (incl agent fees) & £30m received so the transfer kitty is now £55 to £60m

30mil in? 15m for TV. The only other two transfers out for a fee were Djourou and Eisfield right?

Edit: Ah thanks Shano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I almost do. Remember a few years ago we signed a pile of players on last day mostly sh1te but was BFG one of them? or am I mixing up transfer windows in my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Vermaelan, Fabregas, Vela.

I see. Carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

salmocab wrote: »
    I almost do. Remember a few years ago we signed a pile of players on last day mostly sh1te but was BFG one of them? or am I mixing up transfer windows in my head?

Our current captain and Vice captain! ;)

I can definetly see 2 signings being done, It wouldn't be that unusual.

By the sounds of it, If we are to sign Carvalho, negotiations would need to be well underway because of the third party ownership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Carvalho and Winston Reid would be a good haul. We really need a tall DM or we cant be playing sanchez up top, team would be way too small on set pieces.

Our current captain and Vice captain! ;)

I can definetly see 2 signings being done, It wouldn't be that unusual.

By the sounds of it, If we are to sign Carvalho, negotiations would need to be well underway because of the third party ownership.

I said mostly, tbh can't remember who else but think maybe 5 on the last day

Raf32 wrote: »
    Carvalho and Winston Reid would be a good haul. We really need a tall DM or we cant be playing sanchez up top, team would be way too small on set pieces.

Id agree about the height. Giroud was immense in defending the front post on set pieces last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah Giroud is a massive loss from a defensive p.o.v.

Expect us to concede a lot more from set pieces this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

salmocab wrote: »
    I said mostly, tbh can't remember who else but think maybe 5 on the last day

Your forgetting the best signing of them all Santos :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Your forgetting the best signing of them all Santos :pac:

yeah it was Arteta, Mert and Santos. Was a mental last few days.

Wont be happening this time. Some sort of defender will come in and thats that Id say. A Squillaci type of signing too :(

Hope im way off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

jonny666 wrote: »
    yeah it was Arteta, Mert and Santos. Was a mental last few days.

Wont be happening this time. Some sort of defender will come in and thats that Id say. A Squillaci type of signing too :(

Hope im way off

You forgot yossi!

Actually not as bad as I remember it, in my head we signed BFG and several asians just to sell jerseys in the east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

BFG, Arteta, Park Chu Young, Andre Santos and Benayoun that was the haul , This all came after the battering United gave us, Suppose Wenger threw **** at the wall and 2 stuck in Per and Arteta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

BFG, Arteta, Park Chu Young, Andre Santos and Benayoun that was the haul , This all came after the battering United gave us, Suppose Wenger threw **** at the wall and 2 stuck in Per and Arteta

Benayoun put in a serious shift for us too.

Always remember the winner he got us against Aston villa away late on when it was looking very likely a draw when we couldn't afford that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yossi was good.

Santos popped up with a couple of crucial goals too in fairness.

The less said about Park the better... I have to assume at this stage that he was only signed to fill some equal opportunities quota... :pac:

I'll remember Park for that cracker he scored in the Carling Cup again Bolton and then...............................nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

cson wrote: »
    The less said about Park the better... I have to assume at this stage that he was only signed to fill some equal opportunities quota... :pac:

sw50sw8sw578.gif

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Hmm if we go without getting in a striker and Remy goes to Chelsea for less than 15m Id be kinda of dissatisfied. We know we can offer Remy more than 3rd choice striker, and at 10m and no fit PL experienced striker for the next three months it would be a bit careless to turn down. Seems like Chelsea may have taken him off the market so others in need could not get him either..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

8.5 million. It's a clause in his contract for a champions league club. So if Arsene wanted him, that's exactly what he'd pay.

Too late now though............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Hmm if we go without getting in a striker and Remy goes to Chelsea for less than 15m Id be kinda of dissatisfied. We know we can offer Remy more than 3rd choice striker, and at 10m and no fit PL experienced striker for the next three months it would be a bit careless to turn down. Seems like Chelsea may have taken him off the market so others in need could not get him either..

Pricks

To be honest I couldn't care less were Remy ends up. Been saying for ages he's not good enough and injury crisis or not I still don't think he's good enough.

For me I think we should either go all out or stick with what we have rather than sign Remy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Or because Torres is halfway out the door, Drogba isn't exactly young anymore, leaving Costa our only striker to go the season with.

Where ya seeing Remy to Chelsea it'd be retarded if we let them sign a 3rd striker while we have one out and out striker , who is far from the standard required , Yes im on about Sanogo who reminds me of a mix of Gervinho and a rubbish Kanu, Typical stubborn Wenger though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

http://fw.to/u7AlmyE

God interview with ozil

Notice he points out how he don't like playing in the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

To be honest I couldn't care less were Remy ends up. Been saying for ages he's not good enough and injury crisis or not I still don't think he's good enough.

For me I think we should either go all out or stick with what we have rather than sign Remy.

His goal scoring record over the past few seasons is similar to Girouds tho. Surely he would offer something while he is injured? I'd rather a Cavani or Falcao tho :)

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    Or because Torres is halfway out the door, Drogba isn't exactly young anymore, leaving Costa our only striker to go the season with.

It just feels like if Chelsea wanted another striker, even a third choice, they would have the funds and the pull to go bigger than Remy. This deadline day weekend signing of him just seems very quick after all of the goings on with Remy over the summer. I have no doubt he would be a good player for Chelsea, but i feel like at 8.5 million or whatever is being reported, many clubs could have had him as their first or second choice quite reasonably.

Its no insult to Chelsea, its good business, I just wish we were as ruthless sometimes when looking at players who could improve other teams that our rivals are looking to buy, and swooping in knowing that they do a job for us, and at the very least they wouldnt be helping the opposition.

thorbarry wrote: »
    His goal scoring record over the past few seasons is similar to Girouds tho. Surely he would offer something while he is injured? I'd rather a Cavani or Falcao tho :)

Think we'd all prefer as Cavani or Falcao.

But if Wenger has more faith in Sanchez, Sanogo, Pod and Campbell than signing Remy I'm more than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Rather than getting all worked up over not signing Remy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

http://fw.to/u7AlmyE

God interview with ozil

Notice he points out how he don't like playing in the left

I like how clear headed he is.

Not surprising how he highlighted Walcott as important to Arsenal.

Pity Wenger doesn't play him in the number 10 role at the moment. Maybe when Walcott is back fully fit that will open up for him.

omega man wrote: »

Seen earlier that the Greek media are reporting we have upped our offer for Papa.

• Advertisement

But if Wenger has more faith in Sanchez, Sanogo, Pod and Campbell than signing Remy I'm more than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah and I do agree here also, I really want to see Campbell given his game and see Sanchez up front, its just a very cheap transfer for a proven player on Chelsea's part.

Think we will see Adrien Rabiot and Sokratis in but no striker. Rabiot one seems to have a bit of backing and Sokratis does make snese, dortmund in our group I think is the only block to that one.

Think we will see Adrien Rabiot and Sokratis in but no striker. Rabiot one seems to have a bit of backing and Sokratis does make snese, dortmund in our group I think is the only block to that one.

That would be more than acceptable in my eyes.

I would say there is defenatly interest in Rabiot. Plenty of competition for his signing aswell id say.

Sokratis is a strange one because I just don't see BVB selling unless we bid at least €20m. And the fact we are in their Champions League group makes them less likely to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Chambers a no-hoper to start for ye against Leicester? I'd assume if he doesn't start he'll come on at some stage? Fantasy Football reasons. .

That would be more than acceptable in my eyes.

I would say there is defenatly interest in Rabiot. Plenty of competition for his signing aswell id say.

Sokratis is a strange one because I just don't see BVB selling unless we bid at least €20m. And the fact we are in their Champions League group makes them less likely to sell.

20m just seems stupid money for a player whos is going to be their 3rd choice Cb behind Subotic and Hummels (although they are arguably two of the best in the world right now), and he's a defender, and he's not particularly young. Think the 20m could be paper talk and we could get him closer to 12 or 13m. But at the same time about 50% of the transfer fees haven't made sense this window anyway..

callaway92 wrote: »
    Chambers a no-hoper to start for ye against Leicester? I'd assume if he doesn't start he'll come on at some stage? Fantasy Football reasons. .

Id fancy him to start, think Mert and Koscienly were rushed in for the CL and we should definitely think about starting chambers in our 'easier' games so he can show us what he's made of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Very true. I don't like people getting bent out of shape over not signing a player. Transfers are much more difficult than some people think.

If we can get a defensive midfielder and centre half in before the deadline closes i think we can get through the absence of Giroud in relatively good shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

20m just seems stupid money for a player whos is going to be their 3rd choice Cb behind Subotic and Hummels (although they are arguably two of the best in the world right now), and he's a defender, and he's not particularly young. Think the 20m could be paper talk and we could get him closer to 12 or 13m. But at the same time about 50% of the transfer fees haven't made sense this window anyway..

Sokratis was BVB best defender last year. When everyone was getting injured he stepped up big time.

BVB currently have 4 very good centre backs Hummel,Subotic,Sokratis and Ginter. My guess is that they want to cash in on Sokratis since they already have Ginter to replace him.

Sokratis imo would be challenging Mert for starting spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Came across this on facebook, we have a serious talent on our hands in young daniel crowley...

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Came across this on facebook, we have a serious talent on our hands in young daniel crowley...

To be honest its just too easy to fall into this trap of over-hyping young players before they have actually proven anything on a consistent basis at Senior level. Lessons should be learned having watched Jack Wilshere do so well at underage and not exactly set the world alight consistently for the first team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arsenal and Ireland hopefully

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Have only been following the u21s on twitter this year, but both Crowley and Akpom are names that are popping up with increasing frequency.
    To be honest its just too easy to fall into this trap of over-hyping young players before they have actually proven anything on a consistent basis at Senior level. Lessons should be learned having watched Jack Wilshere do so well at underage and not exactly set the world alight consistently for the first team

I know where you are coming from, but I don't think that anyone is losing the run of themselves here, they're playing u21s and look good there. Stepping up is a whole other ballgame, but the two names above are players that I'm looking forward to seeing more of.

Also, I can understand the disappointment with Wilshere, but to be honest, the media hyped him more than anyone, and he is still in that phase he can be considered "potential talent" rather than "wasted talent", if you get what I mean.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Have only been following the u21s on twitter this year, but both Crowley and Akpom are names that are popping up with increasing frequency.

I know where you are coming from, but I don't think that anyone is losing the run of themselves here, they're playing u21s and look good there. Stepping up is a whole other ballgame, but the two names above are players that I'm looking forward to seeing more of.

Also, I can understand the disappointment with Wilshere, but to be honest, the media hyped him more than anyone, and he is still in that phase he can be considered "potential talent" rather than "wasted talent", if you get what I mean.

Fair point and to his credit he was actually quite good Wednesday night.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Benayoun put in a serious shift for us too.

Always remember the winner he got us against Aston villa away late on when it was looking very likely a draw when we couldn't afford that.
    Him next to Arteta would be good if we were going for 4th.

Meh, I've done that, I'm sure there's a few others on here who've done better.

So we're down to 3 days now? :pac:

Dunno about the rest of yous, I like the look of that Diaby lad. Well-built for someone that age.

Let's just forget about jacks break through year where he was living up too all the hype

Do people forget it was injuries that's after blighting his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭lertsnim

People do seem to forget that. I've no doubt he will come good again. It's happened for Ramsey.

• Advertisement

Wenger: "Every time you have an injured player, nobody asks do you give a chance to Akpom. No, it's Buy a player!"

I really hope he gets his chance, I. I we have money and we can buy top quailty but I hope we don't move away from giving youth a chance too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement