Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pretty sure Wilshere will prove any doubters wrong. Everyone seems to be pretty quick to trust Wenger over say, Remy, how often does he put Wilshere on the bench when fit? Can only think of 2 or 3 off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Wenger: "Every time you have an injured player, nobody asks do you give a chance to Akpom. No, it's Buy a player!"

I really hope he gets his chance, I. I we have money and we can buy top quailty but I hope we don't move away from giving youth a chance too

He's the manager ffs. If he's up to it then play him, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Campbell might be sold to benfica. If so it must mean that a forward is incoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Campbell might be sold to benfica. If so it must mean that a forward is incoming.

Fcuking better mean that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

HazDanz wrote: »
    Fcuking better mean that.

Yeah but I have no confidence that we will sign a forward.

• Advertisement

Yeah but I have no confidence that we will sign a forward.

Either do I and tbh if Campbell is sold and we don't get someone in I think it's a cashing in deal with little incentive to help the current squad cope with the loss of Giroud.

Hope i'm wrong but wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No way would he leave without a replacement. I'd kind of like him to stay and prove his worth though. Unless Cavani or Falcao is the incommee

greendom wrote: »
    No way would he leave without a replacement. I'd kind of like him to stay and prove his worth though. Unless Cavani or Falcao is the incommee

I trust in Wenger just hope if Campbell is going it's for the better of the squad by making room for someone excellent (as Campbell is pretty decent) rather than a nice quick cash in on a player who did very well at the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Falcao to City. Thats the league over for everyone else.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    Falcao to City. Thats the league over for everyone else.

Yup, crazy stuff. Wonder what current strikers they have will be surplus to requirements??

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/manchester-city-join-the-race-for-falcao/

omega man wrote: »
    Yup, crazy stuff. Wonder what current strikers they have will be surplus to requirements??

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/manchester-city-join-the-race-for-falcao/

Negredo back to Spain supposedly. All their strikers are better than Giroud and we dont even have him until January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Would love dzeko or negredo, neither likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Akpom will take his place

Akpom will take his place

Would love to see him in Capital One Cup. Nothing outside of that for the moment would be of benefit to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Is Falcao to city confirmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Negredo back to Spain supposedly. All their strikers are better than Giroud and we dont even have him until January.

1: No they're not.

2: Sanchez is also a striker

3: City have spent about 110 million sterling in the last three years on the four strikers they have. That's before getting into the wastage on people like Jo and the amount they will spend on Falcao.

gosplan wrote: »

3: City have spent about 110 million sterling in the last three years on the four strikers they have. That's before getting into the wastage on people like Jo and the amount they will spend on Falcao.

Falcao, Aguero and Dzeko are all better than him. Its difficult to say with Jovetic and could be argued either way but with a fully fit season under him, he will prove to be better too. Sanchez is a winger that we are converting to a striker. Hopefully it works and we have a real coup. Agreed City have built a serious strike force but surely we can offer more than Sanogo?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Yeah and they have won the league twice in that period which makes it money well spent. You can't win the league without top class strikers and now we have none. Sanchez is a midfielder and having him as our main striker until January is a huge gamble. We need a striker before Monday or we can forget about challenging for anything.

Falcao, Aguero and Dzeko are all better than him. Its difficult to say with Jovetic and could be argued either way but with a fully fit season under him, he will prove to be better too. Sanchez is a winger that we are converting to a striker. Hopefully it works and we have a real coup. Agreed City have built a serious strike force but surely we can offer more than Sanogo?

Jovetic is really an unknown so it's kind of unfair to say he's better than Giroud because he might be. Negredo is not. Dzeko probably is but it's arguable. No question about Ageuro.

You have it wrong about Sanchez. All his goals were scored at Udinese as a striker doing exactly what he did the other night for us. Dropping deep to pick up the ball, then linking up with and making runs beyond his teammates.

Sanchez was a successful striker that Barca tried to convert to a winger. Everything he did that made Barca sign him was done from a central role. We're just returning him to that.

I've no doubt that key to Sanchez signing for us was Wenger telling him that he'd be a striker.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Jovetic is really an unknown so it's kind of unfair to say he's better than Giroud because he might be. Negredo is not. Dzeko probably is but it's arguable. No question about Ageuro.

You have it wrong about Sanchez. All his goals were scored at Udinese as a striker doing exactly what he did the other night for us. Dropping deep to pick up the ball, then linking up with and making runs beyond his teammates.

Sanchez was a successful striker that Barca tried to convert to a winger. Everything he did that made Barca sign him was done from a central role. We're just returning him to that.

I've no doubt that key to Sanchez signing for us was Wenger telling him that he'd be a striker.

Jovetic is a world apart from Giroud ability wise. Comfortably one of the best in the league, but was unfortunate last year with injury.

Sanchez had Di Natale alongside him, big difference than what he's been asked to do at Arsenal now. I remember when United were linked with him years ago and watching him then, he was either playing off Di Natale or wide of him.

Kharrell wrote: »
    Jovetic is a world apart from Giroud ability wise. Comfortably one of the best in the league, but was unfortunate last year with injury.

Sanchez had Di Natale alongside him, big difference than what he's been asked to do at Arsenal now. I remember when United were linked with him years ago and watching him then, he was either playing off Di Natale or wide of him.

1st point is based in what exactly? Opinion?

2nd is pretty much what I was saying. Udinese moved him central from the wing and he started scoring. I believe all the goals he scored in his final season were after he was moved.

1st point is based in what exactly? Opinion?

2nd is pretty much what I was saying. Udinese moved him central from the wing and he started scoring. I believe all the goals he scored in his final season were after he was moved.

I think perhaps the point was he was playing off a front man and not as a lone striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sorry about the lack of goal updates. Interestingly I am suffering from the very same injury as Giroud and won't be able to play any sports until the new year too!

I think perhaps the point was he was playing off a front man and not as a lone striker.

But Ageuro does this, or plays off a very advanced midfielder like Yaya.

Obviously Arsenal have problems in the striking area but it seems pretty clear that people are in a hurry to say 'Giroud is rubbish and we've no other strikers'

When City were taken over the first two statements made were pretty much along the lines of ...

1: We're richer than Abramovich and are going to spend spend spend
    2: We want 2 world class players in every position

I mean what can you expect Arsenal to do other than build a team over time.

It's unfortunate that Giroud got injured and exposes some deficiencies in our squad ... when compared to them and Chelsea.

When Arsenal have their first team out there's really only two players - Giroud and Arteta that you'd say need to be replaced with better versions. How far is that to come in 2/3 years?? As was mentioned the other day - go back and look at the team that lost 8-2 to Man U. Where's the recognition for that? Where's the recognition for the squad we have that get through a tricky CL tie without their main CF, CMF, DMF, RW and LB?

I mean what exactly do people expect? Two world class players for every position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ramsey 3 (2)
    Giroud 2 (1)
    Alexis 1 (0)
    Cazorla 1 (0)
    Koscielny 1 (1)

(league goals in brackets)

Good to be back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭ronjo

Galvasean wrote: »
    Ramsey 3 (2)
    Giroud 2 (1)
    Alexis 1 (0)
    Koscielny 1 (1)

(league goals in brackets)

Good to be back! :D

You forgot Santi

I mean what exactly do people expect? Two world class players for every position?

Don't know any gooners who think that.

I believe we just need a first team DMF, a CF to cover/compete with Giroud and then a half decent squad CB (3rd, 4th choice). Those additions should be very achievable for a club in arsenals position. No excuses.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure Alexis is our new striker and we should see him and Walcott rotate positions a lot mid game when they eventually get to play together, could be very exciting stuff. We've been crying out for a pacey striker for 2 seasons, hopefully it works.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is Aguero injured again? Falcoa signing is crazy, they have 3 top strikers as it is. We should try nab Dzeko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

AdamD wrote: »
    Pretty sure Alexis is our new striker and we should see him and Walcott rotate positions a lot mid game when they eventually get to play together, could be very exciting stuff. We've been crying out for a pacey striker for 2 seasons, hopefully it works.

It will work for 4th.

No one plays a 5 man midfield with a midget up front on his own.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    It will work for 4th.

What has his height got to do with anything? As with Aguero his hold up play is good as he has great balance and strength. We don't need a 6ft+ striker, we aren't ****ing West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    It will work for 4th.

Barca did it...

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Barca did it...

With the 3 best players in the world.

We have wilshere and arteta in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I think Song could be heading to West Ham. If it wasnt for his personality Id have him back at Arsenal
    Jack Sullivan, son of Hammers' owner David, has just tweeted... "We have just made a MAJOR INTERNATIONAL SIGNING, he'll be introduced to the crowd at 2.52pm today!"

Think its Song anyways. They have been heavily linked with him.

Some fall he's had. Arsenal to Barca to West Ham!

AdamD wrote: »
    What has his height got to do with anything? As with Aguero his hold up play is good as he has great balance and strength. We don't need a 6ft+ striker, we aren't ****ing West Ham.

Aguero doesn't play on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

jonny666 wrote: »
    I think Song could be heading to West Ham. If it wasnt for his personality Id have him back at Arsenal

Think its Song anyways. They have been heavily linked with him.

Some fall he's had. Arsenal to Barca to West Ham!

Good or bad personallity he was never good enough for Arsenal or Barca I had a nice chuckle when they bought him great deal for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Good or bad personallity he was never good enough for Arsenal or Barca I had a nice chuckle when they bought him great deal for Arsenal.

Gotta disagree. He had the talent. Was a good player I thought. Barca tried to play him center back which he aint!

Then again if the best club he can get is West Ham maybe you're right

Don't know any gooners who think that.

I believe we just need a first team DMF, a CF to cover/compete with Giroud and then a half decent squad CB (3rd, 4th choice). Those additions should be very achievable for a club in arsenals position. No excuses.

Out of curiosity, and not setting up an argument here or anything, do you think we should spend and fill all places in this transfer window.

What I mean is do you think 4 new first team players should have been brought in and we should have gone for eat available option on these positions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Song had the talent, but he was a frustrating and lazy sh1te of a player. I was glad to see the back of him to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

jonny666 wrote: »
    Gotta disagree. He had the talent. Was a good player I thought. Barca tried to play him center back which he aint!

Then again if the best club he can get is West Ham maybe you're right

He had talent but lacked awareness and discipline.

He had some tremendous games as our DM more often than not though he was caught out of position give me Arteta every day of the week over him.

I think at west ham he's finding his level.

Out of curiosity, and not setting up an argument here or anything, do you think we should spend and fill all places in this transfer window.

What I mean is do you think 4 new first team players should have been brought in and we should have gone for eat available option on these positions?

Absolutely. Your only talking 2 new first team players, Sanchez and a DMF. All in all it's about a strong squad with players who can adapt to different tactics, formations etc. and good options to cover injuries to key players (that's a case of when we get injuries, not if). Why would that be an issue? What current players would lose out or have their development hampered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Kharrell wrote: »

Yeah Jovetic would have been ideal for us if we'd really properly gone for him last year. Could easily have swapped between him and Giroud depending on opposition.
    When Arsenal have their first team out there's really only two players - Giroud and Arteta that you'd say need to be replaced with better versions. How far is that to come in 2/3 years?? As was mentioned the other day - go back and look at the team that lost 8-2 to Man U. Where's the recognition for that? Where's the recognition for the squad we have that get through a tricky CL tie without their main CF, CMF, DMF, RW and LB?

You expect a certain amount of depth in fairness. I'd probably argue we could easily improve upon LB, DMF, CF and LW. That's 4 positions out of 11 that you could improve the team for about £20m a pop I reckon.

Two points I'd use to support this; look at Liverpool and their depth at CB even after letting Agger go; Skrtel - highly experienced PL player, Lovren - Top PL performer again, Sakho - One of the best young CBs out there, Toure - Experienced, Coates - as good a 5th choice as there is. You've 5 Internationals there. Now granted I'd probably rate our first choice as a pairing as superior to theirs but individually they absolutely beat us out the gap in terms of depth of quality.

Second point; look at Bayern Munich signing Alonso as essentially cover for Martinez (I know he's injured and that's primarily the reason). That's where we should be at for Arteta. Not first choice if everyone is fit. The depth in Bayern's squad is ****ing sick.

He had talent but lacked awareness and discipline.

He had some tremendous games as our DM more often than not though he was caught out of position give me Arteta every day of the week over him.

I think at west ham he's finding his level.

I'd agree with that assessment.

I was a big fan of Alex Song before he left and was absolutely aghast that the club let him go for what I thought was **** all. But looking back, especially if you look at the Arsenal of 2010-2012, you can see how indisciplined he was for a holding midfielder.

Correct choice in hindsight to cash in. That's why I'm typing on a keyboard and AW is manager of Arsenal Football Club. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We have won 2 trophies since Man Utd last won a competitive game :D

Will we get 'sell on' money with Song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Will we get 'sell on' money with Song?

Who is he signing for?

He had a shít load of assists in his and RVP's final season tbf.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Who is he signing for?

Unveiled just now at Upton Park as a West Ham player

Its only a loan

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement