Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If we bought no more players in the remainder of the summer would people still be happy?
    I feel we bought one very good player and replaced one defender so we really still need a DM, a striker, an extra CB and another keeper if we are to mount and maintain a challenge. A very long season awaits.

Not an Arsenal fan but I think if Wenger can land a quality DM that buy could be the deal between a title push all the way to May or falling off the tails of City and Chelsea eventually.

A trio of Sanchez, Ozil and Walcott behind the striker is a fantastic trio imo. Killer pace and the ability to play the vital pass from Ozil. Playing Sanchez as the lone striker could even be a better option especially against teams who defend with a high line.

A destroyer/breaker in front of the back four and I think Arsenal would be a good bet for the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Think we will only sign a DM and a GK if we do that much I will be happy enough assuming Verm stays. It would still leave us light at the back but I think he will risk that till january.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think wengers interview yesterday basically ruled out a striker

Sanchez will end up there we won't be buying anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think wengers interview yesterday basically ruled out a striker

Sanchez will end up there we won't be buying anyone else

What he say?

This could be major for my fantasy football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd say any further first team signings from Wenger will be opportunistic.

If we get a DMF, it'll be because someone he likes becomes available like Ozil did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »
    I'd say any further first team signings from Wenger will be opportunistic.

If we get a DMF, it'll be because someone he likes becomes available like Ozil did.

Well I feel that if we don't buy a dedicated DM then we won't challenge for the title. I may be wrong.
    Flamini and Arteta are only stop-gap DM's and are not mobile enough for me.
    They were out on their feet towards the end of last season.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What he say?

This could be major for my fantasy football

Basically he will start RW covering for theo but will move centrally then

I actually think we're well equipped up top and on the wings

3 more signings midfielder, CB, Goalkeeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Well I feel that if we don't buy a dedicated DM then we won't challenge for the title. I may be wrong.

Yup but right or wrong Wenger will risk that rather than buy someone he doesn't want to play for the next 5 years.

I wasn't a midfielder I really do

I still think the Ramsey/Wilshere axis is the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

If Flamini isn't a DM then what is he??

If Flamini isn't a DM then what is he??

He is one but he was not bought as a long-term one due to his age. He is now too slow in my opinion to rely on. He will be 31 in March and Arteta will be 33 in the same month.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Flamini and Arteta have to be cover at this stage. If we're serious about wanting to win the league we must sign a top quality CM, which thankfully it looks like we plan to do. We'll sign another striker too IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Id say Khedira ruled himself out being greedy "coz he won the world cup he demanding silly money" I would say we would get Schneiderlin off Southhampton if anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

We need a Matic/Fernandinho type player if we want to win the league imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Looks like Podolski is off to Sevilla, will be sorry to see him go, the chaps a hero.

http://www.thesportbible.com/articles/arsenal-star-set-to-leave-the-club-after-tweeting-this

apologies if posted before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Looks like Podolski is off to Sevilla, will be sorry to see him go, the chaps a hero.

http://www.thesportbible.com/articles/arsenal-star-set-to-leave-the-club-after-tweeting-this

apologies if posted before

Has anybody got any idea if this source is reliable?

I've never even heard of it, and nobody else seems to be resorting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Pod could also be trolling too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I dont see the tweet on his actual account. Hope he's staying, good squad player ton have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Looking at the squad there; you really need 2 players for each position and then some utility men who can cover a couple of positions in an emergency (Sagna @ CB type).

GK: Szczsney

LB: Gibbs, Monreal
    CB: Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen
    RB: Debuchy, Jenkinson

CDM: Arteta, Flamini
    CM: Ramsey, Wilshere
    AM: Ozil, Cazorla

RW: Walcott, Chamberlain
    LW: Sanchez, Podolski

CF: Giroud, Campbell

Diaby, Sanogo, Gnabry, Rosicky, Zelalem on the fringes.

We're not in bad shape, definitely need a GK and another CB along with keeping Vermaelen. You'd have to imagine that one of Flamini/Diaby will be off should we sign a CDM. You'd like another striker but then do we give Campbell a chance? I hope Gnabry gets a few games too; kid was very very good and mature in the chances he got last season.

As ever though; injuries will dictate a lot of how we do, albeit we're better placed to deal with them now - look at the full back positions; 4 internationals and 3 of them with a tonne of caps. There'd have been years when we were shunting the likes of Iggy Miquel into LB when we were stuck.

cson wrote: »
    Looking at the squad there; you really need 2 players for each position and then some utility men who can cover a couple of positions in an emergency (Sagna @ CB type).

GK: Szczsney

LB: Gibbs, Monreal
    CB: Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen
    RB: Debuchy, Jenkinson

CDM: Arteta, Flamini
    CM: Ramsey, Wilshere
    AM: Ozil, Cazorla

RW: Walcott, Chamberlain
    LW: Sanchez, Podolski

CF: Giroud, Campbell

Diaby, Sanogo, Gnabry, Rosicky, Zelalem on the fringes.

We're not in bad shape, definitely need a GK and another CB along with keeping Vermaelen. You'd have to imagine that one of Flamini/Diaby will be off should we sign a CDM. You'd like another striker but then do we give Campbell a chance? I hope Gnabry gets a few games too; kid was very very good and mature in the chances he got last season.

As ever though; injuries will dictate a lot of how we do, albeit we're better placed to deal with them now - look at the full back positions; 4 internationals and 3 of them with a tonne of caps. There'd have been years when we were shunting the likes of Iggy Miquel into LB when we were stuck.

Our biggest signing this summer could be that fitness coach were getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

No point in signing players if we still go sell really good squad players ffs. Hope Poldi is going now where......really like him and his attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    No point in signing players if we still go sell really good squad players ffs. Hope Poldi is going now where......really like him and his attitude.

Agree completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Look at the screenshot of the Podolski tweet. It has a 'delete' option under it. Some dodgy photoshop going on I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

dorgasm wrote: »
    Look at the screenshot of the Podolski tweet. It has a 'delete' option under it. Some dodgy photoshop going on I think.

Yeah I seen that, would mean it had to be Podolski taking the screenshot...so, unlikely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Wenger doesn't seem keen on playing Podolski often.

Would be nice to keep him but it won't be worth it if he spends 30/40 games on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Wenger doesn't seem keen on playing Podolski often.

Would be nice to keep him but it won't be worth it if he spends 30/40 games on the bench.

Pellegrini doesn't seem keen on playing some of his big name players sometimes and they seem to get on okay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I'm rather optimistic about Diaby.

If he missed every game this season, it would be as it was last season so there's no negative out of it.

But if he can get a good pre-season under his belt and give us a few good performances at the very least, it could be very good.

This is the last year of his contract and he certainly won't be lacking determination. I am holding out in the hope that he can get at least 20 games at the level we've seen him at before, albeit sporadically. I am aware that he can really have his stinkers too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

No Hash tags at all, definitely not one of Prince Poldi's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Squad for today:
    Arsenal: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Hayden, Ajayi, Monreal, Coquelin, Ramsey, Toral, Zelalem, Willock, Sanogo
    Subs: Martinez, Gibbs, Bellerin, Miquel, Rosicky, Pleguezuelo, Afobe, Akpom, Olsson, Flamini, Diaby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Finally the Arsenal are back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've got a double of Arsenal & Chelsea +2.5 goals so hoping for goals today :pac:

Squad for today:
    Arsenal: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Hayden, Ajayi, Monreal, Coquelin, Ramsey, Toral, Zelalem, Willock, Sanogo
    Subs: Martinez, Gibbs, Bellerin, Miquel, Rosicky, Pleguezuelo, Afobe, Akpom, Olsson, Flamini, Diaby

Good God !! Didn't know we were playing today. Who are we playing, what time and is there a link please?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Good God !! Didn't know we were playing today. Who are we playing, what time and is there a link please?

You can watch it on arsenal.com. Playing Boreham Wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

If someone has a live stream to the game post please

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Friendly vs Boreham Wood

Link: http://www.arsenal.com/live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The away kit looks great!

Surprised Le Coq is playing, didn't expect to see him play for us again to be honest.

Ramsey as captain sure does look great

In terms of my bet, Chelsea are 1 down after 40 seconds :o

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    In terms of my bet, Chelsea are 1 down after 40 seconds :o

At least it's Chelsea losing and not us!

edit: Just saw who I'm replying to :D

Hayden is a big strong lad. Could make a very good CB.

Hayden is a big strong lad. Could make a very good CB.

Of the young lads involved today I'm most excited to be seeing him, Toral and Zelalem. Hopefully Akpom will come off the bench for the second half too.

What role do ye reckon Sanogo will play this year for us? If he's going to get any game time this year, it's vital he notches 1 or 2 preseason.

I've got a double of Arsenal & Chelsea +2.5 goals so hoping for goals today :pac:

Both bets not looking too good :pac:

At least it's Chelsea losing and not us!

edit: Just saw who I'm replying to :D
    Raf32 wrote: »
    Both bets not looking too good :pac:

2 down now in our game and Matic and MvG playing like Sunday league players :pac:

• Advertisement

2 down now in our game and Matic and MvG playing like Sunday league players :pac:

I read that as Michael van Gerwen, wasn't surprised he's playing like a Sunday league player!

What role do ye reckon Sanogo will play this year for us? If he's going to get any game time this year, it's vital he notches 1 or 2 preseason.

I like Sanogo, hopefully he'll get decent time in the cups, along with sub appearances etc. He really does need to put one in the back of the net sometime soon though to grow in confidence.

fearrua wrote: »
    I like Sanogo, hopefully he'll get decent time in the cups, along with sub appearances etc. He really does need to put one in the back of the net sometime soon though to grow in confidence.

I think we have to leave him on here, the lad badly needs a goal and wont get a better chance.

fearrua wrote: »

I feel the exact same. His performances in the FA cup final and against Munich were really encouraging. The time away at the beginning of last season definitely worked, he's as strong as an ox. He definitely needs to get the goals going though.

edit. Just want to add that at times it looks like he's almost too generous with the ball when he gets himself into a good position. He should back himself more often when in the position instead of looking to pass. It's something you see in a lot of younger players coming through. He needs to be more confident.

I read that as Michael van Gerwen, wasn't surprised he's playing like a Sunday league player!

Van Gerwen would probably have had a better 1st half. :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement