Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

gosplan wrote: »
    Chelsea will win the league this year

....... Unless

Jose has taken Terry a year too far.

Cahill seems the real deal but Terry is the lion of that defence. Problem is he's 34 in a few months.

He's early matched that great Drogba-Lampard-Terry spine with Costa-Fab-Terry but that question is there.

But early to be saying that early days in the league yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

But early to be saying that early days in the league yet.

I'm basing it more on Jose's past than anything else.

He's gotten exactly what he was missing, a beast of a CF and an all-rounder in AMF.

Apart from Madrid, I don't think he's ever not won a league with such a complete team.

Obviously there could be injuries and all that but as it stands right now, I find it hard to look beyond them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Have to agree, Chelsea look formidable. Hopefully we do a bit of business in the coming days which puts us in with a shout.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Have to agree, Chelsea look formidable. Hopefully we do a bit of business in the coming days which puts us in with a shout.

Tbh I just don't think we are in with a shout.

We need one or two more perfect additions to bed in straight away, not sure they're out there right now.

It's cool though. Let Wenger build. What Chelsea and City have shown over the last decade is that they are all about ups and downs. We'll capitalise when they have a lull.

I also think Wenger is well in his way to building a team to match the invincibles. It just won't be ready for a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

01 Cech
    03 Filipe Luis
    05 Zouma
    11 Drogba
    12 Mikel
    14 Schürrle
    17 Salah

Look at Chelsea's bench there. No Van Ginkel and Remy either. Far stronger than us.

Player for player they're considerably better in a couple of positions; Matic and Costa being those positions.

gosplan wrote: »
    I also think Wenger is well in his way to building a team to match the invincibles. It just won't be ready for a year or two.

I'd agree somewhat. We're at least keeping a team together; Sagna aside anyone who's left over the last 2 seasons has been the clubs shout.

That being said; if the cash is there its frustrating that we're not going for the improvements we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

cson wrote: »
    01 Cech
    03 Filipe Luis
    05 Zouma
    11 Drogba
    12 Mikel
    14 Schürrle
    17 Salah

Look at Chelsea's bench there. No Van Ginkel and Remy either. Far stronger than us.

Player for player they're considerably better in a couple of positions; Matic and Costa being those positions.
    Erm? Not denying they're strong but that's a poor bench
    06 Koscielny
    07 Rosicky
    12 Giroud
    19 Cazorla
    26 Martinez
    28 Campbell
    39 Bellerín

I'd rather ours from the equivalent game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

AdamD wrote: »
    Erm? Not denying they're strong but that's a poor bench
    06 Koscielny
    07 Rosicky
    12 Giroud
    19 Cazorla
    26 Martinez
    28 Campbell
    39 Bellerín

I'd rather ours from the equivalent game..

This 100 times.

I think Chelsea are certainly contenders but to say they will win it far to early.

Chelsea have been favorites for the league the last two seasons as well hasn't worked for them yet.

Plus many in here are far to quick to write off our own chances.

cson wrote: »
    I'd agree somewhat. We're at least keeping a team together; Sagna aside anyone who's left over the last 2 seasons has been the clubs shout.

That being said; if the cash is there its frustrating that we're not going for the improvements we need.

Yeah tbh. That's the downside of Wenger. All that patience.

But look, Jose's simply a better manager when it comes to delivering titles and he has exactly what he needs with that squad. I'm not for a minute saying I want anyone other than Wenger at the helm but sometimes there are things you just can't match and it's unrealistic to get pissed off because Wenger's not doing what Jose does.

Whether he'll last more than the standard season or two is the question.

I think if we had say Henry and Vieira in their pomp and stuck them in, then we'd have the match of the invincibles team. But Wenger's looking for a Henry and Vieira, not Balotelli and Carvalho.

People want the quick fix but long term we need to be adding players like Ozil, Sanchez and Ramsey. Players that will never need replacing until they get too old.

I think that's the only route for us. And when it happens we WILL win a league and then all the jibes and nonsense from pundits will turn into almost sickening sycophantic praise of Wenger for taking such a long, patient but definite route towards creating one of the best teams in the world.

The he'll retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think this is our year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think this is our year

Not unless we get a good DM in my opinion.
    We need to block the gaps that the top teams exploited last season. We are also weak on our left flank defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Not unless we get a good DM in my opinion.
    We need to block the gaps that the top teams exploited last season. We are also weak on our left flank defensively.

I think Sanchez and Walcott been fit were the missing pieces

I think Sanchez and Walcott been fit were the missing pieces

Will certainly help but we also need a new player or two.

Will certainly help but we also need a new player or two.

I wouldn't say no to new players and I would welcome them and I think we will get them

I'm just saying I think we're strong enough anyway

IMO as it stands we can come third. With a couple more additions who knows.

Ah to Hell with third or fourth.
    I want to see us with a strong and ambitious panel of players who will challenge to WIN the title. Feck third or fourth.

Ah to Hell with third or fourth.
    I want to see us with a strong and ambitious panel of players who will challenge to WIN the title. Feck third or fourth.

I feel the same. Just saying with the current team thats all im expecting. Hopefully we get a few.

2 days and 2 hours left in the window.
    Anyone really confident of signings? I'm not.

• Advertisement

No not me either. Wont do anything tomorrow with the match so cant see us getting a few in in less than one day. Hopefully we are wrong though!

I think we will get 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No not me either. Wont do anything tomorrow with the match so cant see us getting a few in in less than one day. Hopefully we are wrong though!

Hopefully the ground work has already been done. Like with Ozil last year the deal was completed in the last hours of the window but the deal had been ongoing for much of the Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Walcott and Giroud will be like new signings when they return.

Seriously though, you just know wenger will wait til the last second and offer devalued bids on a couple of players to chance his arm. Don't think he'll be too bothered if he doesn't get anyone in.

Meanwhile we'll be an injury or 2 away from panic mode. I think the city game in September will tell us everything we need to know about our title winning aspirations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Not really. I do think we will get some defensive cover in but I'd be worried about the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Sky Sports are now saying Rabiot is now off to Roma.. First Manolas and now Him, apparently. I don't like this. Two young players we could have done with.

• Advertisement

Can't do much if Manolas wants guaranteed starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Rumours now that we've bid for Remy. So if us and Chelsea have both activated his clause, it's up to him...

David McIntyre @davidmcintyre76 · 15m
    It seems Arsenal have come in for Remy, also activating release clause. #QPR

If true this makes me happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Delighted we have a game tomorrow. Can focus on that rather than transfers.

Rumours now that we've bid for Remy. So if us and Chelsea have both activated his clause, it's up to him...

With giroud out long term he's going to get game time with us I'd reckon. Major bench time at Chelsea.

• Advertisement

We had all summer to buy him why wait until now if true? maybe the champions league clause didnt count until we were fully in?

We had all summer to buy him why wait until now if true? maybe the champions league clause didnt count until we were fully in?

No, wenger saw Jose wanted him so probably felt he's actually not a half bad option for squad depth.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wouldn't be buying him Giroud was fit I reckon.

I really like Remy, hopefully its true, would leave Chelsea in the lurch too with backup to Costa

HazDanz wrote: »
    Delighted we have a game tomorrow. Can focus on that rather than transfers.

What'll the line up be??

Szcz
    Chambers mert kos monreal
    Flamini
    Ox whilshere Ramsey ozil
    Sanchez

Prob the strongest team we could put out. Will some lads be rested??

From an article when Remy was at Nice:

"Arsenal are the club I want to join. I won't deny they are my priority," said Remy, who has been advised to link up with Wenger by Thierry Henry.

"Arsenal are a young, ambitious side and I love to watch them play.

"It is the ideal place for me. I spoke with Thierry about them and asked him lots of questions about life there.

"That is because I have been an Arsenal fan since I was little. I was not disappointed with what he told me."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/7518753/Loic-Remy-wants-Arsenal-move.html

It these comments are true, fairly sure if it's a choice between us and Chelsea, he'll choose us...

"Arsenal are the club I want to join. I won't deny they are my priority," said Remy, who has been advised to link up with Wenger by Thierry Henry.

"It is the ideal place for me. I spoke with Thierry about them and asked him lots of questions about life there.

"That is because I have been an Arsenal fan since I was little. I was not disappointed with what he told me."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/7518753/Loic-Remy-wants-Arsenal-move.html

It these comments are true, fairly sure if it's a choice between us and Chelsea, he'll choose us...

Wenger is trying to **** Chelsea over like they did to us with ba!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Allegedly we have met Remys release clause aswell

jonny666 wrote: »
    What'll the line up be??

Szcz
    Chambers mert kos monreal
    Flamini
    Ox whilshere Ramsey ozil
    Sanchez

Prob the strongest team we could put out. Will some lads be rested??

Is Debuchy injuried? I'd play Santi over Ox based on the CL game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Not if they fling an extra million or two per year at him.

• Advertisement

I know he's not Cavani or Falcao or the world class striker we crave but he scored 14 goals playing for Newcastle last season. How many could he score with Ozil, Sanchez and Walcott behind him? Would be happy if we get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

I know he's not Cavani or Falcao or the world class striker we crave but he scored 14 goals playing for Newcastle last season. How many could he score with Ozil, Sanchez and Walcott behind him? Would be happy if we get him.

If we got him and carvalho it would rate as a good days work

Any word of a DM.?

It all means nothing once it comes to contract negotiations

I reckon his agent is trying to get a few extra grand out of Chelsea

Team needs Chamberlain to start for balance and pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Perhaps, maybe we weren't interested at all until the Giroud injury.

I hope he chooses Arsenal, will it come down to wages offered?

omega man wrote: »
    Is Debuchy injuried? I'd play Santi over Ox based on the CL game.

Suspended I think. From his red at everton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

He got the red in Champion's league Jonny so no ban for league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

He was sent off in the CL game midweek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement