Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Amy Lawrence ‏@amylawrence71 2m
    On Loic Remy, Arsenal have not matched any release clause. Seems almost certain he will be going to Chelsea.

Doesn't normally tweet about transfers but she covers Arsenal for the Guardian who are fairly reliable

and

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 3m
    #AFC haven't met Remy release clause but are in conversations with #QPR about rivalling #CFC for him - IF they let a forward go #bbcfootball

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Thank god the windows almost over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

AdamD wrote: »
    Amy Lawrence ‏@amylawrence71 2m
    On Loic Remy, Arsenal have not matched any release clause. Seems almost certain he will be going to Chelsea.

Doesn't normally tweet about transfers but she covers Arsenal for the Guardian who are fairly reliable

That's seems true.

If Arsene wanted Remy he would have signed him years ago, he's probably been watching him for years.

We should be signing the next Remy, at nearly 28 his pace will be gone shortly.

I feel Arsene is signing too many players over 26 lately, we only get 3 to 4 seasons out of them.

Guys like chambers/little older are what we need.

Miss the days when he was signing young and upcoming stars like Reyes, Rvp, Adebayor, Nasri, Kolo, Clichy etc.

It didn't take them long to settle in and we were set for years.

Love that we signed established stars like Ozil, Sanchez, Debuchy, Cazorla etc, but they have done it at there former clubs already, I don't think they lack motivation but if it doesn't work out they have done enough in the past to get a move to an equally big club.

We lack pace, mobility at the moment all over the field and you only get that with youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    That's seems true.

If Arsene wanted Remy he would have signed him years ago, he's probably been watching him for years.

We should be signing the next Remy, at nearly 28 his pace will be gone shortly.

I feel Arsene is signing too many players over 26 lately, we only get 3 to 4 seasons out of them.

Guys like chambers/little older are what we need.

Miss the days when he was signing young and upcoming stars like Reyes, Rvp, Adebayor, Nasri, Kolo, Clichy etc.

It didn't take them long to settle in and we were set for years.

Love that we signed established stars like Ozil, Sanchez, Debuchy, Cazorla etc, but they have done it at there former clubs already, I don't think they lack motivation but if it doesn't work out they have done enough in the past to get a move to an equally big club.

We lack pace, mobility at the moment all over the field and you only get that with youth.

Look we have been crying out for years for experience - before those you mentioned came to the club most people were moaning that we were using unproven youngster who lack bottle when it comes to the important games.

Ozil and Sanchez are mid twenties so still a lot of time in their playing careers.

Personally I like a slightly older defender who has been on the block a bit. Debuchy would be in that category similar to Mert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

All bluff and counter bluff

Not long left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How can we not match Remys buy out, It's 7 million. Not a bad player, if he wants to play football he'll come to us, if he wants money he'll go Chelsea, his original QPR move shows which one he'll pick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

And the latest:

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david

#AFC have dropped Remy interest. Enquired but no longer pursuing. Currently not close to any signings before deadline #QPR #CFC #bbcfootball

It's very possible that we won't sign anyone before the deadline. I'm happy with the squad, it could definitely be strengthened in places, but I'm currently happy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

For better or worse Wenger isn't one for compromising and signing a quick fix or a short term player.

I think people are continually being harsh on him, especially given the summer spending.

We got the three best players we could possibly get for the three positions we needed them in most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Oranage2 wrote: »
    How can we not match Remys buy out, It's 7 million. Not a bad player, if he wants to play football he'll come to us, if he wants money he'll go Chelsea, his original QPR move shows which one he'll pick.

The deal seems to be that we only want to buy Remy if we sell a forward (presumably Podolski or Campbell). Can't see what's in it for QPR to wait and see with a firm offer already on the table, unless Remy favours us over Chelsea.

EDIT: scrap that. 5 minutes is a long time when the transfer window is about to close

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    The deal seems to be that we only want to buy Remy if we sell a forward (presumably Podolski or Campbell). Can't see what's in it for QPR to wait and see with a firm offer already on the table, unless Remy favours us over Chelsea.

Wenger says he will not loan/sell Campbell.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfers-joel-campbell-not-4135059

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Reading Remy interest is ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

CatInABox wrote: »
    And the latest:

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david

#AFC have dropped Remy interest. Enquired but no longer pursuing. Currently not close to any signings before deadline #QPR #CFC #bbcfootball

It's very possible that we won't sign anyone before the deadline. I'm happy with the squad, it could definitely be strengthened in places, but I'm currently happy enough.

Enquire about what, did we not know everything about the player already surely? Sometimes we really go about our business in a bizarre fashion.

Reading Remy interest is ended.

It sounded like from Harry Redknapp yesterday the deal was pretty much done with Chelsea yesterday morning so not too surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

omega man wrote: »
    Enquire about what, did we not know everything about the player already surely? Sometimes we really go about our business in a bizarre fashion.

What we hear about transfer is just disjointed bits and pieces. Never in a million years will some journalist or twitter "ITK" be able to give us the full story, thats why it always sounds so bizarre and pointless. Clearly however when we are getting players the likes of Ozil and Sanchez the people in club know what they are doing.

This is the quitest end to a summer transfer window in a while.

We are linked with very little in the media. Here's hoping Wenger and the club have become even better with their top secret dealings :p

• Advertisement

CB is surely a must, numbers wise. We've tonnes of CMs so you can see why they won't sign just any DM for the sake of it, we need a CB though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Keep the faith lads! I've a great feeling we'll be active before the window closes! It'll all unfold on Sky Sports News from half 7 onwards.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

HazDanz wrote: »

He only said he wouldn't loan him, I find it odd he specifically used the word loan too and not just say outright that he's going nowhere.

If we don't sign a striker or DM we'll get by but there's no way we can afford not to get a centre back in imo. We rode our look last year with injuries at the back. Chambers is great cover but if more than one defender is injured (apart from LB) we're buggered.

Ozil saying he isn't happy playing on the left.

He said its not his favourite position and both Loew and Wenger are aware of that but he has no issue playing there for the team...

• Advertisement

Good thing about losing Giroud is we might go back to 4-4-2 of sorts.

Sanogo and Sanchez up top would give us plenty of muscle and energy.

Don't think we have the midfield to carry Ozil being in his no.10 positon, he doesn't work hard enough and we dont have the power to cover it up/frustrating.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He only said he wouldn't loan him, I find it odd he specifically used the word loan too and not just say outright that he's going nowhere.

If we don't sign a striker or DM we'll get by but there's no way we can afford not to get a centre back in imo. We rode our look last year with injuries at the back. Chambers is great cover but if more than one defender is injured (apart from LB) we're buggered.

True he didn't specify sale hands off. We need a CB but I feel a DM too though.

He said he didn't feel it was his favorite position but would play there for the good of the national team/Arsenal as the team's goals are most important.

Its's that our the bench Mesut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Going down to the wire again so. I'd like to say I won't bother watching SSN for the last hours of the window but I feckin will, til the bitter end :-)

Personally I don't think our current squad is capable of winning the title. With no proven CF til January (which could be longer) and no replacement CB for Verm along with no natural DM worries me. Yes we still have a cracking first 11 with good MF options off the bench but it's goals that we need and lots of them if we want to compete with Chelsea and City. It's a long season and we will get injuries to key players, that's a banker.

Anyone watch Leicester against Chelsea last week? Is there anything to worry about with them? - Didn't followed them closely last year at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

We have to add a DM.
    With regards height and defending set pieces i really think its either going to have to be Arteta and Sanogo as our dm and cf or a new dm and Sanchez as our cf.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Raf32 wrote: »
    We have to add a DM.
    With regards height and defending set pieces i really think its either going to have to be Arteta and Sanogo as our dm and cf or a new dm and Sanchez as our cf.

Centre back is more important. At least we have players who can play up front and Arteta and Flamini to do a job in DM. In defense we currently have Chambers as 2nd choice for 3 positions.

Centre back is more important. At least we have players who can play up front and Arteta and Flamini to do a job in DM. In defense we currently have Chambers as 2nd choice for 3 positions.

I think both are equally as important. Would a dm that can play cb be any good?

I don't want to come across all Pulis or Warnock but I feel we are missing a bit of physicality or height even with Giroud missing for so long. I just feel if we can get a strong imposing player in our midfield it could make all the difference.

I think it depends on how Wenger sees Chmabers playing now for what he will do in the market. I think Wenger has been surprised at how well he deputised in CB and may see him there for this season as the back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

2nd choice for 3 positions???

I'd like some signings but I think with or without them we will challenge. Hope this place doesn't go into meltdown mode the next 48 hours if we don't sign anyone.

Does anyone think with the current squad that we are capable of winning the league?

I'd like some signings but I think with or without them we will challenge. Hope this place doesn't go into meltdown mode the next 48 hours if we don't sign anyone.

Inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I won't be melting down but I'll be pretty unhappy if we don't bring in defensive cover. We are very short there

Does anyone think with the current squad that we are capable of winning the league?

Seems I can only name 3 CBS at our club,no.

With our starting 11 yes. Over a full campaign factoring in injuries and squad rotation no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

If Madrid get Falcao, I could see an offer for Benzema going in

If Madrid get Falcao, I could see an offer for Benzema going in

He signed a new 5 year contract this window with R Madrid.

I think we're closer than we were at the end of August last year, but not quite close enough. Chelsea and City are stronger

• Advertisement

Get the feeling the Carvalho deal wont go through with the third party ownership issues.

He is though, 2 centre back positions and right back. If Wenger wants Chambers to be our main back up CB then we should buy another RB unless Bellerin is getting promoted.

I think Chambers is good enough to deputise all those positions btw, but we would be down a man from last season at the back if we don't sign a defender or at least a DM who can play at the back too (Carvalho seems like a no-brainer in that regard).

Not having a meltdown just calling it as I see it. Currently we have one less body at the back and most felt we were a bit light there to begin with I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

This time last year no one was even mentioning Ozil as a potential signing.

I'll be shocked if we don't make at least one signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm not too unhappy about the signings, however we do need a CB.

The problem is, our squad is good enough for top four with united being so poor and spurs being spurs, so not spending and getting top 4 is the profitable play. A play us fans know all too well.

Match thread stuck up for today lads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057280789

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

No there was talks of a real Madrid player coming about 3 or 4 days prior to deadline day we just didn't know which of di maria bemzema or ozil it was going to be

• Advertisement

Ricky Alvarez to Sunderland, remember we nearly had him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yes we challenged last year and we certainly haven't got weaker.

Will we win I don't know it will be a tight race.

Not a chance.

I'm ok with that as long we make progress and Arsene makes signings that will help us for the next 5 years, I don't want to see him signing old guys that can do a job like Kalstrom, Flamini, Arteta etc again.

We are better than that, we have the resources to find the next Arteta, next Gallas etc.

If he signs some old CB and CF as cover I will be pissed, Mert and Giroud should be fighting for their spots.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Not a chance.

I'm ok with that as long we make progress and Arsene makes signings that will help us for the next 5 years, I don't want to see him signing old guys that can do a job like Kalstrom, Flamini, Arteta etc again.

We are better than that, we have the resources to find the next Arteta, next Gallas etc.

If he signs some old CB and CF as cover I will be pissed, Mert and Giroud should be fighting for their spots.

Ok i accept we should be setting our sights higher but i actually thought Kallstrom looked decent. Just a pity he was injured for the first two months or so when we actually needed him.

Ok i accept we should be setting our sights higher but i actually thought Kallstrom looked decent. Just a pity he was injured for the first two months or so when we actually needed him.

How many appearances did he actual make for us? Feels like he only had three or four.

Most bizarre signing we've made due to his known back injury and also along with Park.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement