Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

HazDanz wrote: »
    How many appearances did he actual make for us? Feels like he only had three or four.

Most bizarre signing we've made along with Park.

Along with birscoff and inamoto!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Spurs look awful, for all the money they spent they really have nothing to show for it. After everything Ade is probably the best player they have.

Can't see them in the race for top 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Soups123 wrote: »
    Spurs look awful, for all the money they spent they really have nothing to show for it. After everything Ade is probably the best player they have.

Can't see them in the race for top 4

Pool are great going forward though, Sterling is some player.

He will become what Theo should have been if he keeps improving.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

Agree re Pool going forward but spurs have been awful no real energy all game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

If wenger doesn't change his tactical approach playing pool, particularly away, this season we'll lose. Maybe not a hammering but a loss all the same. I really hope he's learnt something from those top 3 away games last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

omega man wrote: »
    If wenger doesn't change his tactical approach playing pool, particularly away, this season we'll lose. Maybe not a hammering but a loss all the same. I really hope he's learnt something from those top 3 away games last season.

I think us now playing 4-1-4-1 will solve a lot of the counter attacking problems we had last season with Liverpool.

How many appearances did he actual make for us? Feels like he only had three or four.

Most bizarre signing we've made due to his known back injury and also along with Park.

Very few. Id say you could probably count them on one hand.

Was a waste of a squad player at a time when we needed him to slot straight in (not by his actual abilities mind). Given his actual ability and his stats and honours as a player its probably harsh to put him in the same category as Park but he'll go down as a disaster solely on the basis of the fact he was injured the day we got him. A clusterf*ck on the part of Wenger and the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What Theo "should have been"? :confused:

I think us now playing 4-1-4-1 will solve a lot of the counter attacking problems we had last season with Liverpool.

For that to happen we cant have lads just standing there when we lose the ball up the pitch. Not so sure Arteta has the legs for that defensive midfield slot in the big games either.

omega man wrote: »

Yeah I would agree with you there, can you see Arsene changing though?

Don't fancy our chances away to any decent team, Everton last week could have been embarrassing

• Advertisement

What Theo "should have been"? :confused:

A world beater, I think Sterling can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

For that to happen we cant have lads just standing there when we lose the ball up the pitch. Not so sure Arteta has the legs for that defensive midfield slot in the big games either.

Arteta has a big role in the formation (I think we need a DM upgrade but Arteta can still do a good job) but at least the formation will not allowed any one player being isolated on the ball as much and encourage breaking with pace when in possession.

As could Walcott if he stays fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Sanogo starting....

Quite why Wenger continues to give this lad chances ceases to amaze me. He looks so awkward and clumsy with the ball at his feet. I would much rather Wenger gives Akpom a chance over Sanogo. (And yes I did see his salvo of goals pre-season)

I really really like Akpom, he reminds me of Sturridge.

Why not loan out Sanogo and get Remy in? Or just give Akpom a chance.

Dapics wrote: »
    Sanogo starting....

Quite why Wenger continues to give this lad chances ceases to amaze me. He looks so awkward and clumsy with the ball at his feet. I would much rather Wenger gives Akpom a chance over Sanogo. (And yes I did see his salvo of goals pre-season)

Sanogo has shown enough promise to warrant been given game time, especially in a game like this

Right now, Sterling is one of the best wingers in the Premier League.

I don't think you can compare Walcott with Sterling that easy. They are different players.

I personally think Sterling is a better forward than all of ours, with the exception of Sanchez and Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Sanogo has shown enough promise to warrant been given game time, especially in a game like this

I think so too.

Love giving young players the chance

So has Chuba and he is a better fit for our system!

As for giving young players a chance, Chuba deserves it more than Sanogo.
    Been here since he was a youngster and has a good goalscoring record at u-18 and u-21 level. Go look up his recent match for the u-21's. The lad has it all.

edit: if he scores today, I will be more than happy to get my coat.

So has Chuba and he is a better fit for our system!

I'd disagree re Chuba. Sanogo has huge potential, a game like today he'll keep the defense busy , dragging them around so hopefully the runners come through midfield .

Would like to see how he would perform after he scores a goal, I think he has real potential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I wouldn't mind Podolski up top, give him another chance up on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Nice to see Sanogo get a start in a non-massive game for once :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Redzer7 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind Podolski up top, give him another chance up on his own.

He's been given plenty of chances, it won't work. His finishing is top notch, but his holdup play is nonexistant and his movement is pretty poor. On the left or with a strike partner is the only way he'll play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What makes people think that Chelsea, Liverepool and City won't run through us again this season at their grounds? We have the same midfield and defence that cracked in those fixtures.
    What have we done in the meantime to to change what happened then?

We need a big mobile DM and Wenger needs to change tactically for those fixtures. Otherwise we will not win the EPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

He's been given plenty of chances, it won't work. His finishing is top notch, but his holdup play is nonexistant and his movement is pretty poor. On the left or with a strike partner is the only way he'll play.
    Lads why do we always insist on having a target man for hold up play? Yes it will get the best out of our wingers but we haven't got any starting apart from Sanchez! Podolski takes his chances and should be more than capable of leading the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Because teams can change without changing their players?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Best thing about that line-up is Özil should be in his preferred and best position and not on the wing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

No one player
    would have changed them defeats

Change in tactics will

Best thing about that line-up is Özil should be in his preferred and best position and not on the wing

If he can't do it against the mighty Leicester he will be under serious pressure.

No goals and 1 assist in his last 9 games, isn't best no.10 in the world form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No one player

Change in tactics will

One thing though we had little threat of pace in the Liverpool, Chelsea and Everton games and that made it easier for them to press high up the field

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If he can't do it against the mighty Leicester he will be under serious pressure.

Don't think he played no.10 in those games though (not that you wouldn't of course expect more)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Come on ARSENAL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No and Walcott should have been world class but isn't and everything's crap and blah blah blah

SUPPORT!!!!!

AdamD wrote: »
    Because teams can change without changing their players?
    No one player

Change in tactics will

We will live in hope.
    Can't see it happening myself without a new DM. Leopards and spots kind of thing.
    When successful teams have a difficulty they remedy it by getting in better than they had but we live in hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

All our fit defenders are currently playing. Really worrying.

AdamD wrote: »
    Nice to see Sanogo get a start in a non-massive game for once :pac:

Every EPL game is massive. Unless we're leading the league by 14 points ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Not giving out but a funny observation. If you told me that we would be playing our third league game of the season with a converted 19 year old right back as our centre back (who i really rate), Flamini as our DM and Sanogo up top, i would have locked ya up!lol

Raf32 wrote: »
    Not giving out but a funny observation. If you told me that we would be playing our third league game of the season with a converted 19 year old right back as our centre back (who i really rate), Flamini as our DM and Sanogo up top, i would have locked ya up!lol

Going to be a long season ;-)

Not playing bad, Sanogo playing well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Going to be a long season ;-)

Not playing bad, Sanogo playing well enough.

Sanogo is playing terribly. He's not ready to lead the line and has only looked half decent when playing 4-4-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sanogo is playing woeful everything is breaking down with him.

His movement has been good just his touch has been letting him down consistently.

Sanogo starting....

Just gonna put this here for posterity's sake.

• Advertisement

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    Sanogo is playing terribly. He's not ready to lead the line and has only looked half decent when playing 4-4-2

Been poor on the 2nd half, wasn't bad in the 1st.

Feel sorry for him, obviously not ready, but Arsene is too cheap

Just gonna put this here for posterity's sake.

Whilst I agree Sanogo has a had poor game I don't think Akpom is the answer.

He can't even make the first team or bench right now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sanogo hasn't played that bad. If only he could finish.

Ramsey has played worse.

Been poor on the 2nd half, wasn't bad in the 1st.

Feel sorry for him, obviously not ready, but Arsene is too cheap

:pac: too cheap I forgot he found Ozil and Sanchez in the bargain basement.

Boards is all about differing opinions but that's just nonsense.

Whilst I agree Sanogo has a had poor game I don't think Akpom is the answer.

He can't even make the first team or bench right now.

What has Sanogo done that Akpom hasn't though?

I can only assume Wenger is biased as Sanogo is french.

Also, Just buy a damn striker Arsene!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Really poor,something is missing from this team.

What has Sanogo done that Akpom hasn't though?

I can only assume Wenger is biased as Sanogo is french.

Also, Just buy a damn striker Arsene!!!

Wenger and Bould see them both every day in training I'm sure they know better and have there reasons for never including Akpom.

Yea it's because he French :pac: sure if that were the case the whole starting eleven would be French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Really poor,something is missing from this team.

At least 2 things! Striker and DM.

We've played what 5 games this season? And each one we've played bad. If Wenger doesn't sign a ST and DM you have to question his ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Surely even Wenger and his tunnel vision can see that we need 2/3 new signings as a matter of urgency. Cmon ffs.

• Advertisement

How Wenger cannot see our blatantly obvious need for an out and out CF is unreal. We have zero cutting edge in the final 3rd. 24 + attempts on goal today and we only worked the keeper once for the goal.

To go on with our only real fit CF being a guy who has never scored a goal is criminal. I'm really off the fence now with this.

The team is playing with no speed or width and teams are finding it simple to deal with

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement