Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Raf32 wrote: »
    Im not writing off top 4. we will come third or 4th
    but its sad because it seems to be our ambition.

Wasn't aimed at you raf :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Wasn't aimed at you raf :)

Cool bud, the top 4 trophy is still on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Is Negredo off Man City available I wonder, not many stikers knocking about but he seems out of favour at the minute, or is he still injured. Would even love to get Benteke, he would be brilliant with us I reckon.

Carvalho playing tonight if that means anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Is Negredo off Man City available I wonder, not many stikers knocking about but he seems out of favour at the minute, or is he still injured. Would even love to get Benteke, he would be brilliant with us I reckon.

They've made a cash offer for falcao so he may be. But no way city will sell to ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Would it be worth buying Negredo to part fund Falcao??

Pretty sure he went 14 odd games without scoring last season. No. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

AdamD wrote: »
    Would it be worth buying Negredo to part fund Falcao??

Pretty sure he went 14 odd games without scoring last season. No. Thanks.

I don't think city need the cash to be honest!

Can't see them wanting to sell to another top 4 club either.

Anyone else think Monreal was our best player again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

3 games in a win and two away draws

And people are writing off our top 4 chances

Fûck right off

No but Top 4 is all we'll be fighting for the way we're playing tbh.
    Can't understand Wenger's team selections.
    Much of the blame for the poor football has to go down to him.
    He is playing Sanogo up front and keeping better and more experienced players on the bench. Also playing people out of position. Wait till we play the big boys and all the cracks will be exposed if things don't change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

looking on the bright side, I'm glad we drew today and not on Wednesday, the squad is looking seriously undercooked at the moment. Need to find that missing spark pdq. I doubt it'll be there in time for City with the international break coming up, have to hope it does though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Definitely see Arsenal and Liverpool finishing behind City and Chelsea in the table. Fortunately for both I don't see a challenge materialising from United, Tottenham or Everton.

Fescue wrote: »
    Definitely see Arsenal and Liverpool finishing behind City and Chelsea in the table. Fortunately for both I don't see a challenge materialising from United, Tottenham or Everton.

Thats the way I see it too. Hopefully we can pip yee to third ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Raf32 wrote: »
    Thats the way I see it too. Hopefully we can pip yee to third ;)

I really want us to get our hands on that Third Place Trophy.

No but Top 4 is all we'll be fighting for the way we're playing tbh.
    Can't understand Wenger's team selections.
    Much of the blame for the poor football has to go down to him.
    He is playing Sanogo up front and keeping better and more experienced players on the bench. Also playing people out of position. Wait till we play the big boys and all the cracks will be exposed if things don't change.

Don't mind sanogo starting over podolski

Agree with players out of poistion, this new formation stinks

Fourth place trophy is what its really about. Be hard to beat the defending champs :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am definitely not writing our chances off. Some of our rivals have messed up and we had a chance to pull ahead of them and we fluffed our lines. The core of the team is very good and up until Girouds injury I felt we were stronger than last year. His injury has created a problem up front and has also weakened us defensively (he did a lot of work for us in defence and cleared a lot of aerial balls into the box.

Him out until the new year is a disaster for us, we do need to add an established and experienced striker into the squad. If we do this then I think it is game on. The only team that has impressed me so far is Chelsea and they are already picking up a head of steam.

I do feel that Wenger is the weak link with regard to the Transfer policy and I believe we still need to separate him from the actual negotiation process. Wenger chooses who he wants and then a "director" goes and gets him and deals with the financials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Even if we buy players now I suspect they'll be panic buys and not players we had identified as targets and that annoys me no end. Most of us could see the key positions we needed to strengthen in order to have a title competing squad. Unfortunately Wenger see things very differently. I really believed winning the FA cup would be a spring board to greater things. What's gone wrong? Is wenger so stubborn with regard to doing it his way, according to his principles and his philosophy? Does he feel that if he was to win the title or the CL his way it would somehow be more rewarding or more of an achievement maybe? He's obviously got some hang ups about going out and buying ready made, top level footballers. I'm starting to think that maybe the board were behind the Ozil and Sanchez deals but I could be way off there. I hope I am. So whether or not we now panic buy I'm more concerned about the state of mind of our great manager Arsene Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Poor performance from most of the team today. We were shockingly exposed on the counter attack. Worse than last year. Flamini was caught high up the pitch a lot and doesn't have the legs to get back. I'm more.concerned about defensive cover than a striker atm. We could do with both though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Dapics wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind Bacca.

Is a proven goalscorer. Done the business in four different leagues. Seen some vids on Youtube. He has a bit of Remy about him.

Arsene should be signings guys like this at 23, he's 28 next month, posters on la liga forums are already saying he has lost some of his pace, supposedly very quick in his youth.

Note to Arsene don't sign pacy players in their late 20's.

Did he not learn from disasters like Arshavin, Podolski, Santos?

• Advertisement

3 games in a win and two away draws

And people are writing off our top 4 chances

Fûck right off
    Think we have a chance at the title?

I'm not writing off top 4, but finishing 4th should be disappointing, not the ultimate target. City and Chelsea are still well ahead of us and Liverpool look like they'll be able to put plenty of teams to the sword again this year. It doesn't exactly leave an awful lot of wiggle-room.

To win the title let's say 90 points is the target. There's 114 points up for grabs, so 24 can be dropped and 4 already have. Drop more than 20 points and forget about it. When an away draw against a newly promoted side is a decent result then it follows that we should drop a lot more than another 20 points this season.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

3rd would be a great stepping stepping stone for ye towards pushing for that coveted 4th place trophy next season then. The prize is two extra televised games, what fan wouldn't want that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Arsene should be signings guys like this at 23, he's 28 next month, posters on la liga forums are already saying he has lost some of his pace, supposedly very quick in his youth.

Note to Arsene don't sign pacy players in their late 20's.

Did he not learn from disasters like Arshavin, Podolski, Santos?

Ok you're annoyed by todays result.. Fair enough.
    But calling Pod a disaster is just stupid.

Also i've watched Bacca play.. He don't need pace. Very similar to Saurez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Other than complete tactical ineptitude against our rivals, I think Wenger's biggest shortcoming in the last 5 years has been his lack of ability to get players to perform to their ability. Gervinho is the greatest example of this, considering what he did before joining us and how well he's performed since, but the same could be said for Arshavin and even Chamahk. I'm starting to get concerned that the same may be happening to Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the stupidity from some after reading the last few pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Other than complete tactical ineptitude against our rivals, I think Wenger's biggest shortcoming in the last 5 years has been his lack of ability to get players to perform to their ability. Gervinho is the greatest example of this, considering what he did before joining us and how well he's performed since, but the same could be said for Arshavin and even Chamahk. I'm starting to get concerned that the same may be happening to Ozil.

Ya cos Ozil was unbelievable in the World Cup :cool:

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    3rd would be a great stepping stepping stone for ye towards pushing for that coveted 4th place trophy next season then. The prize is two extra televised games, what fan wouldn't want that?
    Would lose the 2 CL qualifiers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the stupidity from some after reading the last few pages.

I just sit in the corner, laughing and crying.

for instance its funny how two of the positions that really need a player bought in, DM and CF were filled by two freebies. It's ironic in a way.

I think we desperately need reinforcing at cb, dm and cf.

AdamD wrote: »
    Don't think anyone's brought it up yet but Ozil has been very poor so far this season, I know its a criminal offence around here to say it but I think we've been clutching at straws since February. Playing him on the wing is nonsense too, he hasn't got it in him to be direct enough.

He has been poor but very few of our players can hold there head high to be honest.

Sure going on current form I'd be dropping Ramsey for Wilshere.

Time to get Kim back in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ramsey 3 (2)
    Alexis 2 (1)
    Giroud 2 (1)
    Cazorla 1 (0)
    Koscielny 1 (1)

(league goals in brackets)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Time to get Kim back in?

We should break the back to get him.

Sorry, the bank.

Watching the Sporting game. Carvalho is a player, really good passer. Why am i doing this to myself haha

Haha

Lads lets not go too far now, okay, today's result wasn't ideal and to be fair we haven't set the place on fire with the start to the season but we surely can't write off our chances of winning the title this early, plenty twists and turns to go as you seen yesterday with Stoke beating City. We have had 2 very tough games against Besiktas, and 2 tricky away games in the league against Everton and newly promoted Leicester City (who will surprise a few this season I feel) and remain unbeaten without playing anywhere near our best. When we click we will be right up there challenging no doubt about that.

I'm glad I want on boards for the invincible season when we drew with them :)

Lads lets not go too far now, okay, today's result wasn't ideal and to be fair we haven't set the place on fire with the start to the season but we surely can't write off our chances of winning the title this early, plenty twists and turns to go as you seen yesterday with Stoke beating City. We have had 2 very tough games against Besiktas, and 2 tricky away games in the league against Everton and newly promoted Leicester City (who will surprise a few this season I feel) and remain unbeaten without playing anywhere near our best. When we click we will be right up there challenging no doubt about that.

I think the majority of people saying we cant win the league after the match had the same opinion before it. It just highlighted how desperately short we are of quality in key areas.

While the results always matter the performances for me are most worrying.
    So many of our players playing poorly at the same time. Apart from the back four I find it hard to find one player who would get 5 out of 10 in ratings.

Now that is worrying. Five games in and not one good performance.

Any word on Ozil or Chamberlain?

Where the Hell is Rosicky?

So many of our players playing poorly at the same time. Apart from the back four I find it hard to find one player who would get 5 out of 10 in ratings.

I thought Monreal and Sanchez were outstanding Wednesday night against Besiktas and Debuchy played pretty well even tho he got sent off. I don't know what it is about World Cup year but iirc it usually takes us until mid September to click. As I have said already we haven't been at our best but I think there is a big performance in us very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Blatantly stolen from twitter but I nominate Arsene Wenger in the Sign some ****ing players challenge. 24 hours Arsene..

A bit ott there. Yes we were poor today.

But to say not one of our midfielders has had a good game yet this season isn't true either.

There were a lot of good performances against Besiktas during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I thought Monreal was outstanding Wednesday night against Besiktas and Debuchy played pretty well even tho he got sent off. I don't know what it is about World Cup year but iirc it usually takes us until mid September to click. As I have said already we haven't been at our best but I think there is a big performance in us very soon.

It needs to be our next match. Man city are up. Hopefully we won't be down more.players after the break

A bit ott there. Yes we were poor today.

But to say not one of our midfielders has had a good game yet this season isn't true either.

There were a lot of good performances against Besiktas during the week.

That rating was for today Marty (should have said that in fairness) but we have been very poor in all five games so far.
    Besiktas are no world beaters either. I didn't rate them. We will have a lot tougher challenges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I really thought we would push on after the fa cup win, which we nearly threw away too.

Why can't we just identify our targets and sign them early on like Chelsea.

Very worried for this season.

One thing Wenger can't do is say there was no one available.

This window has seen a lot of top class CF switch clubs we could or should have at least got one.

Really hope but doubt we pull something out the bag by tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I really thought we would push on after the fa cup win, which we nearly threw away too.

Why can't we just identify our targets and sign them early on like Chelsea.

Very worried for this season.

£££

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Did Cambell steal Arsenes lunch money cant understand Sanogo getting in ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

JPA wrote: »
    £££

Aye which is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I read somewhere that we still had 60 million in the transfer kitty. Anyone else read that?
    If true then we need to spend a bit.
    If Carvalho is as good as they say he would be number one even before a striker for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement