Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

dorgasm wrote: »
    I feel the exact same. His performances in the FA cup final and against Munich were really encouraging. The time away at the beginning of last season definitely worked, he's as strong as an ox. He definitely needs to get the goals going though.

I remember being really impressed by his performance against Liverpool in the FA Cup, he bullied Skrtel and Agger with his strength and pace. On top of that, his technique is at a decent standard, so it's just about netting his first goal now!

On a side note, I'm delighted to see Diaby back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Just seen mourinhos comments. Cants stand the man. If we wont the title this yeat it would be one of the sweetest yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Bellerin is very good going forward. Whips in a fierce cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Olsson with a goal. He's been bright all day. Sanogo with another botched effort though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Rosicky bossing this game. Unreal ball by him for the goal.

Lovely ball through from Rosicky for the goal, great finish from Olsson too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Olsson with a goal. He's been bright all day. Sanogo with another botched effort though :(

Sanogo is off thats afobe up front.

Akpom has played well since he's come on, hope he gets a few games in the first team this year.

fearrua wrote: »
    Akpom has played well since he's come on, hope he gets a few games in the first team this year.

Looks a better player than Yaya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Akpom looks better than sanogo :)

• Advertisement

Afobe with a nice penalty to make it 2-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Obviously not much to read in such games, but I think a couple of the youngsters (namely Zelalem and Akpom) might make it in the first team in a couple of years.

Bellerin could push Jenkinson out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Raf32 wrote: »
    Bellerin could push Jenkinson out too.

won't argue you there.
    Maybe some of the younger players can go out on loans? Get some play time and come back more experienced and with a chance to make it to the next level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think we'll be waiting awhile for Sanogo to score.

I think we'll be waiting awhile for Sanogo to score.

I think you're right, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Just missed todays game anyone else know when the next pre season game is?

Will it be shown on Arsenal player again or on tv?

Just missed todays game anyone else know when the next pre season game is?

Will it be shown on Arsenal player again or on tv?

Playing the NY Red Bulls in New York. Next Saturday, 10pm our time. No idea how it's being aired though, if at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Quote on Sky sports news, Wenger saying that Vermalen could very well leave :rolleyes:

And speaking after Arsenal's pre-season opener at Boreham Wood, where his side won 2-0, Wenger said: "I cannot guarantee he will stay, but should he go I would bring another centre-back in for sure."

If we dont have another "Quality" CB lined up then I have absolutely no sympathy of Arsene when it all goes a bit pete thong halfway through the season! None of this 16 yr old French lad straight out of boarding school malarky.

He is a very good player IMHO.

Better not be off to UTD........

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Quote on Sky sports news, Wenger saying that Vermalen could very well leave :rolleyes:

And speaking after Arsenal's pre-season opener at Boreham Wood, where his side won 2-0, Wenger said: "I cannot guarantee he will stay, but should he go I would bring another centre-back in for sure."

If we dont have another "Quality" CB lined up then I have absolutely no sympathy of Arsene when it all goes a bit pete thong halfway through the season! None of this 16 yr old French lad straight out of boarding school malarky.

He was a good player but how long ago was his last great performance. I'm pretty sure most people had hearts in mouth when he came on for us last year.

I wouldn't panic yet, as sad as it would be to see him go, I think he's very replaceable. Fully agree about the Utd part though, would absolutely sicken me.

Ridiculous post

Ridiculous post

Another one with a PHD in all things football......enlighten me then. What so ridiculous about it. Dont agree with my opinion fine but jaysus think of my feelings buddy. :rolleyes:

Another one with a PHD in all things football......enlighten me then. What so ridiculous about it. Dont agree with my opinion fine but jaysus think of my feelings buddy. :rolleyes:

Utter tripe that right there

Joel Campbell
    @joel_campbell12

Costa Rica see you soon. On my way to fight for my dreams ⚽️✈️

Sounds like he's planning to fight for a place in the squad?

• Advertisement

Sounds like he's planning to fight for a place in the squad?

Love that spirit. need more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

He was a good player but how long ago was his last great performance. I'm pretty sure most people had hearts in mouth when he came on for us last year.

I wouldn't panic yet, as sad as it would be to see him go, I think he's very replaceable. Fully agree about the Utd part though, would absolutely sicken me.

Man utd will be the Dutch national team before long, lol. Vermalen, is Belgian of course. He was good when he first came to the Gunners. Something happened that he lost his confidence. He has not been good for a few years, not even sure he would get a game if he went north of Watford gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paj wrote: »
    No doubt some really good business getting 14m for borini, but if you reckon that 100m is going on players I think you'll be disappointed.
    Liverpool will benefit more, long-term, ploughing a large percentage of that cash into the anfield redevelopment. I'd imagine a deal for remy at 8m and maybe lovren at 20 would conclude your summer business. However i will eat humble pie if I'm wrong and one of the big rumours lands.an isco or a di maria.

Rodgers has said the Suarez money hasn't been touched yet and Barrett from the Times who'd be a reliable Lfc journo reckons he wants 5 more players yet. Makes sense as we really need a stronger squad. The stadium money is seperate from Suarez money.

For us fans it would be great to splash it all on 2 marquee signings but I can see the logic in what they are doing. When we'd 13/14 players we could rely on last season the squad needs depth.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Rodgers has said the Suarez money hasn't been touched yet and Barrett from the Times who'd be a reliable Lfc journo reckons he wants 5 more players yet. Makes sense as we really need a stronger squad. The stadium money is seperate from Suarez money.

For us fans it would be great to splash it all on 2 marquee signings but I can see the logic in what they are doing. When we'd 13/14 players we could rely on last season the squad needs depth.

Going by Spurs last season, ye would definitely be better off with the 2 marquee signings. I think 8 players in one window is too much altogether. Getting that many new players to gel is a tall order for any manager.

K-9 wrote: »

How much is the Anfield redevelopment supposed to cost? That 80 million would be better in a stadium than overhauling the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Going by Spurs last season, ye would definitely be better off with the 2 marquee signings. I think 8 players in one window is too much altogether. Getting that many new players to gel is a tall order for any manager.

Then we'd have maybe 15/16 players we could depend on in a squad guaranteed CL football and looking for 4th, and there's no guarantee the 2 players will hit the ground running or be successes. I don't think Spurs had as many problems with squad depth as we had, plus it seemed a scatter gun approach which IIRC AVB wasn't happy with. We had Aspas, Alberto and Moses as attacking options last year, really all it came down to for Rodgers was which one to pick of Sterling or Coutinho, or play a diamond and maybe accomodate both.

Lfc is a bit better run than Spurs these days and think long term.
    How much is the Anfield redevelopment supposed to cost? That 80 million would be better in a stadium than overhauling the squad.

I'd heard £150 Million mentioned. They are doing it on a phased basis and knowing FSG and Fenway Park, will milk it for every commercial deal they can get.

Anyway FSG seem pretty savvy guys, I'll leave financial planning to Henry whose back ground is hedge funds and finance investments.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Mourinho on Wilshere: "What football players do, millions and millions are watching, lots of kids are watching"

Mourinho = Hypocrite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Mourinho on Wilshere: "What football players do, millions and millions are watching, lots of kids are watching"

Mourinho = Hypocrite

Because smoking while on holiday is a terrible example for kids, but gauging a fellow manager's eye who's suffering from cancer is fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Mourinho = Hypocrite

I think he genuinely thinks we are a threat this year. Classic Mourinho. Wenger won't respond with classless statements though. He always seems to be a class above. He might not have been as successful as Mourinho in recent years, but his project of surviving in the CL while spending frugally since the Emirates went up, looks like it may have come to fruition and we can finally spend some money has Mourinho rattled.

Love the Arsenal way, operating with dignity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The mouth is in preseason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Raf32 wrote: »
    Love that spirit. need more of that.

No offence intended but I hate when people judge a players spirit/character by the things they say. The only way we as fans can really judge a player is by what they do on the pitch. Everything else is just (potentially) waffle.

Linked with carvalho today

Really really good player and only 22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Morata ended up going to Juventus, €20 million.

No offence intended but I hate when people judge a players spirit/character by the things they say. The only way we as fans can really judge a player is by what they do on the pitch. Everything else is just (potentially) waffle.

He is a fighter on the pitch too though. During the world cup, the lad was out on his feet and he still put himself about. Love that attitude.

Utter tripe that right there

So as it stands we are short of cover in the CB position even with Tommy V, and you have no problem with AW selling and not having a quality player to come in!!! Wenger has a history of taking young french kids and trying to mould them into world class players (Sonogo anyone???) Years ago that was a sustaniable model becuase clubs were not spending millions a season so we had time to do this. We dont anymore.....

So if he does not learn a lesson from last season where we could have very well won the league only for squad depth and falling short, then YES I WILL HAVE NO SYMPATHY for him if he does the same again.

Whats tripe about that.....your the one thats talking what pigs love to roll in!

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Man utd will be the Dutch national team before long, lol. Vermalen, is Belgian of course. He was good when he first came to the Gunners. Something happened that he lost his confidence. He has not been good for a few years, not even sure he would get a game if he went north of Watford gap.

In fairness to Vermaelan you have to play regular to get confidence....if he goes to UTD and LVG gives him games and puts the arm around the shoulder then he will be back with a vengeance IMHO. Peeple talk about him like he is below Paul Mc Shane in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So as it stands we are short of cover in the CB position even with Tommy V, and you have no problem with AW selling and not having a quality player to come in!!! Wenger has a history of taking young french kids and trying to mould them into world class players (Sonogo anyone???) Years ago that was a sustaniable model becuase clubs were not spending millions a season so we had time to do this. We dont anymore.....

So if he does not learn a lesson from last season where we could have very well won the league only for squad depth and falling short, then YES I WILL HAVE NO SYMPATHY for him if he does the same again.

Whats tripe about that.....your the one thats talking what pigs love to roll in!

With due respect, your I think his issue is with the manner of your complaint. You're giving talksport/daily mail standard Wenger bashing stuff about fears of signing French 16 year olds. Think of the last three CB's Wenger has signed for a sec.

It seems you want to have a pop at the man for something that hasn't at all happened.

Another way to phrase your comment is..

'you know last year we actually had 4 pretty good options at centre half with Mert, Kos, Verm and Bac doing excellently when called upon. Hopefully Wenger can match that this season'

FFS last window we signed Ozil so far this window we have signed Sanchez and Debuchy along with being linked with lots of top class players and more player will certainly be signed before the window closes.

Yet here you are whinging and I use the term whinging because it's how your posts are coming across about the possibility of us loosing a player who spends his time sitting on the bench mostly a player who will be replaced if he leaves the mind boggles.

gosplan wrote: »
    With due respect, your I think his issue is with the manner of your complaint. You're giving talksport/daily mail standard Wenger bashing stuff about fears of signing French 16 year olds.

It seems you want to have a pop at the man for something that hasn't at all happened.

No at all, I have no problem with people disagreeing with my posts but OP's have to talk down to people to get your own point across. There is alot of opinions I dont agree with on here but I aint rubbishing the person or posts.

But Wenger does have a history of looking to un trusted kids regardless of nationality to plug gaps in the squad. We are better then that and with the squad we have now we are so so close to winning the league or indeed the CL I dont want to see the same mistakes made again. And they were the mistakes Wenger made last season in relation to not boosting the squad.

I have great respect for Wenger and he what he has introduced to Arsenal and the PL. I am not a fair weather supporter either, I am following the Gooners since Kenny Samson and Charlie Nicks were running around.

I suppose its fair to say we are probably in the best shape we have been since the Invincibles team now and the taught's off going backwards kills me at this stage. I desperately want the current team and manager to be a force to be reckoned with once more.

Di Marzio saying we are meeting Catania on Tuesday to discuss signing right back Peruzzi. Meant to be a big talent, only 22.

FFS last window we signed Ozil so far this window we have signed Sanchez and Debuchy along with being linked with lots of top class players and more player will certainly be signed before the window closes.

Yet here you are whinging and I use the term whinging because it's how your posts are coming across about the possibility of us loosing a player who spends his time sitting on the bench mostly a player who will be replaced if he leaves the mind boggles.

And all the quality we have signed wont be worth the paper its written on if we are short on cover in one area.... defense. So what if he has fallen down the pecking order, he is a good defender and better then alot of PL 1st team players.

Thats what boggles the mind.....how can I be whinging with one post ffs. Surely I would need multiple posts to whinge as you put it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Anybody who pulls out the hysterical Daily Mail BS about Wenger signing 16-year old French players as his solution to a gap in the squad deserves to be spoken down to.

Linked with carvalho today

Really really good player and only 22

Don't know much about him, but heard we bid 30 million his release clause is 37million.

Is he good?

See were being linked with Balotelli again for 15 million, good price much rather him than Remy.

What's up with us still being linked with so many right backs? Especially after Wenger saying the other day that Jenkinson will be staying to fight for the spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is Jenkinson a possible 4th CB?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement