Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Raf32 wrote: »
    Falcao gone to United on loan

Really surprised that he is prepared to forego the CL 2 years in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Defensive midfielder and a striker is needed. Fingers crossed we can even get one of these positions sorted.

We need two. We should be all over Falcao :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Well that's our big transfer bubble burst for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

G1032 wrote: »
    I don't fúkcing believe this. A player like that is available and we don't go in for him. Instead we get to have Sanogo instead

Maybe we were in for him and just didn't get him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

G1032 wrote: »
    I don't fúkcing believe this. A player like that is available and we don't go in for him. Instead we get to have Sanogo instead

To be fair I dont think I would like be paying 60 million for a striker that will be 30 in a few months and is only coming back from a serious injury.

If United get him and we sign nobody of quality up top im gonna be fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

RVP injured, United sign Falcao.
    Giroud injured, Arsenal promote Sanogo.

Say it ain't so!

If United get him and we sign nobody of quality up top im gonna be fuming.

He hasn't gone yet, we can still match their bid like we did with Remy. Yes, I know how well that worked out!

9 million loan deal with option to buy. What are we doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'll be fuming because we didn't sign someone good, moreso than the fact that United signed some injury prone Columbian.

The money being quoted for Falcao is mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

If United want to pay 20 million for Falcao for a year or 50 million for a transfer for him off with them. We were never ever goina get him. Not with City or United in for him. We have money but not as much as them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭G1032

Maybe we were in for him and just didn't get him

I doubt it tbh. Listening to Wenger over the last week or so he genuinely seems to think there is no need for a top stirker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I'm starting to believe that the clubs ambitions are purely self sustainability by means of CL qualification year on year. We don't seem serious about being title contenders. It's not about blowing ridiculous money but surely there's a way of building a competitive squad whilst being financially prudent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭G1032

greendom wrote: »

Must be getting mega money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

omega man wrote: »
    I'm starting to believe that the clubs ambitions are purely self sustainability by means of CL qualification year on year. We don't seem serious about being title contenders. It's not about blowing ridiculous money but surely there's a way of building a competitive squad whilst being financially prudent.

I think fans would be happy if the obvious weaknesses in the squad were adressed, its not like the finance isnt there, nobody is looking for mega mega signings for every position. Its muddle through as usual.

Any business we do today, if at all, will now be underwhelming.

Top 4 is going to be a big ask.

Id love to have a proactive transfer window for once

Id love to have a proactive transfer window for once

Like with Sanchez, Chambers and Debuchy?

omega man wrote: »
    Any business we do today, if at all, will now be underwhelming.

Top 4 is going to be a big ask.

We'll get top four, it's whether the club fancy winning the championship is the issue here. 9 mil for Falcao on loan would have solved a massive hole in our squad.

Hard to understand the clubs reasoning at times.

• Advertisement

Two are replacements. We needed a striker and a DM more than Sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

18 mil > Champions League...:D

Two are replacements. We needed a striker and a DM more than Sanchez.

Replacements because we chose not to extend deals or let a contract run out. Sanchez is a fabulous addition to our forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's not enough, two are replacements.

A CF and DM was the expectation and neither have been done

Two of those are replacement buys Greendom. Alexis was a big upgrade for us as a forward winger but at the start of the window a CB, Striker and DM were most important and we are still on the hunt on the last day for all three.

Striker reinforcement has been completely exasperated by Giroud being injured. It's pretty much determining our season ambitions at the minute the clubs hesitation to fill the squad in.

Debuchy and chambers were replacements. Ok Sanchez was huge but you can't list the others as squad additions. Delighted with them all the same but we've only added 1 player effectively.

Edit: beaten to it ^

• Advertisement

Great signings and the club deserves credit here but its not enough and we all know that, that's what people are worried about. Why not act like a proper big club and go out and replace Giroud in the squad. Why not bring in a proper mobile deep lying CM?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Replacements because we chose not to extend deals or let a contract run out. Sanchez is a fabulous addition to our forward line.

Still replacements! So we signed one addition so far .

Sure lets see how the day plays out

So Falcao is gone - any news on CB for us?

Soups123 wrote: »

No I say panic now, panic!!

We're being linked with Destro from Roma? Any ideas, someone told me that Wenger is in Rome. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »

Absolutely, what's the big deal about them being replacements, squads can only have 25 players plus there are restrictions on foreign players, non home grown etc.

Falcao quoted as a 20million loan + wages of 300k a week. Seems Utd are back in the big spenders league.

Don't think we would have ever matched that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL can't understand that Falcao to United transfer at all. Their problem is in defence and midfield. All I can see is it causing friction within their forward line. Hehehe Rooney and RvP are no longer the big dawgs of the team.

I am happy that we didn't sign him. The last thing we needed was a player who has a history of serious injury. It would nearly be scripted that he would get crocked in his first game for us.

I think we will only see one player being signed today, either a CB or DM. I don't see a striker coming unless Wenger pulls something from left field.

(yes I did say I would trying to do a media blackout until 11.15 pm, I am weak what can I say!!)

Absolutely, what's the big deal about them being replacements, squads can only have 25 players plus there are restrictions on foreign players, non home grown etc.

Falcao quoted as a 20million loan + wages of 300k a week. Seems Utd are back in the big spenders league.

But replacements wont significantly improve us. A striker and a DM will. Its 20 million all together with an option to buy, fantastic deal.

United's spending is funny. Madrid are after ruining themselves this transfer window with just buying forwards and not building a proper team from the back. United seem to be going down the same road at the minute.

We're being linked with Destro from Roma? Any ideas, someone told me that Wenger is in Rome. :pac::pac::pac:

supposedly at this

BwcCUc2CcAEkfM_.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

This is all very similar to not replacing Walcott last year.

btw someone told me today that the current Utd squad is one of the most expensive squads ever assembled? surely that cant be right, unless he meant in the epl.

Lastly when is Walcott back or Diaby for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I think that Wenger is right in saying that when Arsenal have a bad result, some people instantly think the solution is spend 30 million on a big name.

Actually when Arsenal have a bad result , what peopel usually think is
    'Djourou is a donkey why is our future invested in him'
    ''Bentdner is a waste of space can we go and buy a decent CF'
    'Sanogo is way out of his depth, why are we relying on him'
    'Giroud is being over played, he needs some support , cos his body will break down with stress injuries.

Wengers great at diverting the argument and laying the blame elsewhere.

And lets not forget , the Arsenal fans have been proven right in saying we need to spend '30 million on a big name' ... 2 recent late panic buys, Arteta and Ozil have dragged us thru the last 3 seasons, without which Arsenal would have struggled.

All we need is to score 7 or 8 more goals a season, and concede 7 or 8 less and we will be truly competing on all fronts.
    thats all Id look for, is to be truly competing for PL, CL and a Cup, and he doesnt have to spend another 100 million for that.

Shane Long was avail for 5 million last season now valued at 12, or lets pick up Defoe for a few goals. Find a proven PL goalscorer, who knows how to play off the shoulder of the oppositions CB.

I think the midfield is fine, you could see against Leicster , the midfield had the ball on a break and looked up and all they saw was Sanogo running into a stupid position with defenders all over him and so the midfield took it on themselves and we got caught out on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

So only 1 more day of stress over potential signings etc, if you could have 3 dream signings today what would they be?

Bryan Swanson ‏@skysports_bryan 31s
    We're told Radamel Falcao loan fee is £5-6m. More on @SkySportsNews. #mufc #SkyDeadlineDay
    Absolute steal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Wenger Knows Best ‏@wengerknowsbest

We are now super super close to a striker of exceptional quality. Utd are signing Falcao and they are only 190 miles away.

Haha quality, makes ya smile even tho you should be sad.

• Advertisement

Hernandez going to Real seems a bit strange, hard to see him getting much game time there. Utd and Real just buying attackers and forgetting about the rest

All we need is to score 7 or 8 more goals a season, and concede 7 or 8 less and we will be truly competing on all fronts.
    thats all Id look for, is to be truly competing for PL, CL and a Cup, and he doesnt have to spend another 100 million for that.

Nail on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Gonna be a long day, I can honestly only see us signing a backup centre half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

wonga77 wrote: »

btw someone told me today that the current Utd squad is one of the most expensive squads ever assembled? surely that cant be right, unless he meant in the epl.

The most expensive

wonga77 wrote: »

Walcott due back in training any day now. Should be back playing before the end of the month. Diaby - stick a pin in a calendar and let us know.l

We will sign Welbeck

And if 2 or 3 decent signings are made there will still be plenty of moaning posts

What's "decent" in your book? Just about making the bench if everyone were fit?

12 hours to go and no noises. A top DM and CF with a squad CB. Hopefully the club show some ambition.

What's "decent" in your book? Just about making the bench if everyone were fit?

a dm to compete/replace Arteta and a centre back on the bench for Merts and Koscielny.

The 3rd would be a striker (better than Sanogo hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Absolute steal

I think it's much higher

John Cross ‏@johncrossmirror 23m
    Given to believe Monaco's Falcao package was between £16m and £18m. Loan fee and wages all inclusive. Remarkable figures and deal. #mufc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement