Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Raf32 wrote: »
    We will sign Welbeck

I really really hope this doesnt happen. Id rather we played Sanogo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I think it's much higher

John Cross ‏@johncrossmirror 23m
    Given to believe Monaco's Falcao package was between £16m and £18m. Loan fee and wages all inclusive. Remarkable figures and deal. #mufc

Yup 8 million and then add in his wages. Steal imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yup 8 million and then add in his wages. Steal imo

I hope thats sarcasm !!!

gandalf wrote: »
    I hope thats sarcasm !!!

That or Sanogo, easy choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Late announcement of Reus to The Arsenal for 40 odd million.... completely under the radar, now THAT would be v. Wenger-esque*

*shame it wont happen
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    a dm to compete/replace Arteta and a centre back on the bench for Merts and Koscielny.

The 3rd would be a striker (better than Sanogo hopefully)

So a better CB than Chambers, someone to start up front and another bench player? How much are you expecting to spend on that? Funnily enough that's more than anyone's expecting I think. You have more ambition for today than most of us yet you'll still complain about moaners. It's an odd dichotomy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

cant wait to see Walcott back, he will feel like a new signing

That or Sanogo, easy choice.

Really pissing away 20 million on a player coming back from a serious injury? That smacks of panic and not a calculated long term plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

greendom wrote: »
    Replacements because we chose not to extend deals or let a contract run out. Sanchez is a fabulous addition to our forward line.

sagna & vermaelen both chose to leave, it wasn't arsenal. vermaelen told them before the end of last season he wouldn't sign another contract/wanted to go. then arsenal do what they usually do and cashed in on him

sanchez is that, & the start of the summer was looking good now though with still no other CB or a DM signed + girouds injury it's looking a bit more average i think.
    not a big fan of giroud but his injury really fúcked things up, seems wenger wanted to just go with him and sanogo with sanchez getting a odd game there this season. that probably could've worked cause it most of last year with just giroud, sanchez in for the big games maybe.
    now it's only sanogo who's a bit injury proned too - that or he would only add about 2 players in the world ahead of giroud.
    So only 1 more day of stress over potential signings etc, if you could have 3 dream signings today what would they be?

khedira
    reus
    cavani

Really pissing away 20 million on a player coming back from a serious injury? That smacks of panic and not a calculated long term plan.

It's the last day of the transfer window and we're looking at playing Sanogo up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So a better CB than Chambers, someone to start up front and another bench player? How much are you expecting to spend on that? Funnily enough that's more than anyone's expecting I think. You have more ambition for today than most of us yet you'll still complain about moaners. It's an odd dichotomy.

I still see Chambers as back up for Debuchy, we are very short at the back and that's why I'm sure one will be brought in.

I am confident these signings will be made, no dichotomy. if not then I'll be very disappointed. A striker would be a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Sanogo certainly isn't a long term anything, it smacks of panic because were in a panic, we need a striker to compete for top 4 even nevermind the league

I think today highlights we have no long term plan. Why hasnt vermaelen been replaced? scrambling around for Remy when it was too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

For me Wenger needs to pull off two great signings in the next 12 hours or he can kiss goodbye to winning the PL title or CL. I personally can't see anything but a back up Centre half for the cheap and Wenger making up some b.s about him having enough up forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

jonny666 wrote: »
    I really really hope this doesnt happen. Id rather we played Sanogo

Welbeck is an upgrade on Sanogo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Tbh not overly bothered about Falcao I'm more concerned if we sign absolutely no one.

Strange we didn't try take Richards

It's a risk but the guy is world class and if he scores 30 this season for them then it's a great scoup, if not then it's little money for UTD anyway. It's amazing a team with no Champions league football are buying such great talent, taking risks and going all out to get back to the top.

While we are struggling with a unproven French Lad (not his fault but the Managers) up front, it's just heartbreaking in a way that our Manager is are stumbling block in the transfer season. If he seriously thinks we are capable of winning titles with the squad right now he's crazy.

Sanogo certainly isn't a long term anything, it smacks of panic because were in a panic, we need a striker to compete for top 4 even nevermind the league
    I think today highlights we have no long term plan. Why hasnt vermaelen been replaced? scrambling around for Remy when it was too late.
    It's the last day of the transfer window and we're looking at playing Sanogo up front.

Well from my perspective Falcao isn't the answer for us. If he signed for us I would have put money on him getting crocked early on with our history of injuries.

Sanogo shouldn't be in any premiership squad based on what we have seen of him and yes Wenger should have lined someone up well in advance of today. As I have said many times before Arsene should be decoupled from the negotiation side of the transfer business. The board should just ask him who he wants and we should have someone like David Dein used to do, go out and do the dirty business to sign those targets. Arsene appears to have too much input into the whole process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

batistuta9 wrote: »

khedira
    reus
    cavani
    Dream signings!

Busquets
    Messi
    Thiago Silva

:pac:

Redzer7 wrote: »

He's a international, has a proven premiership record, has won titles. Yeah he's not the most clinical guy in front of goal but he do a job.

• Advertisement

Dream signings!

Busquets
    Messi
    Thiago Silva

Very dreamy! :pac:

I'd go with

Umtiti
    Carvalho
    Cavani

Redzer7 wrote: »

Welbeck is not and will not ever be a good footballer. He runs around a lot. Thats it.

In fairness Sanogo isnt much better at the moment but he could improve and he's a couple of years younger.

Welbeck is awful

Welbeck is not and will not ever be a good footballer. He runs around a lot. Thats it.

In fairness Sanogo isnt much better at the moment but he could improve and he's a couple of years younger.

Welbeck is awful

He's still an upgrade on Sanogo.

Welbeck is awful

Sanogo can improve ( a loan spell would be better) jonny but to say Welbeck wouldn't be a upgrade is a little silly to be honest. I admit he's not Clinical enough and is a little overrated but he can do a job and will work his heart out and for the price they are asking, it's a snip. Plus playing with most of his attacking England team-mates week in and week out might make him better.

United trying to get a midfielder done now. Hardly Carvalho?

It really is worrying that there isn't a sniff coming around

I see Defoe is in London

Is cavani still an option, talk on him seems to have gone quiet.

Never been convinced by Wellbeck but you can never write someone off, Look at Sturridge who most at Chelsea never felt he was good enough. (not saying Wellbeck is half as good as Sturridge but you get my point)

Not too many available strikers out there unless we put an offer in front of some club for a player that they cant refuse. Which wont happen in a million years at Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Welbeck is awful
    Hes still an upgrade though, I'd be more confident with Welbeck.

Soups123 wrote: »
    It really is worrying that there isn't a sniff coming around

I see Defoe is in London

going to QPR back to Arry is the rumour

• Advertisement

Probably and Wenger probably gave them his number and said here, he's too expensive you have him.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Sanogo can improve ( a loan spell would be better) jonny but to say Welbeck wouldn't be a upgrade is a little silly to be honest. I admit he's not Clinical enough and is a little overrated but he can do a job and will work his heart out and for the price they are asking, it's a snip. Plus playing with most of his attacking England team-mates week in and week out might make him better.

He'd be an upgrade on Sanogo but I dont think he can play up front on his own. His first touch is awful. His shooting is average and so is his passing. A years time he will just another drain like Bendtner and Denilison were.

If we are goina get someone in we could do a lot better then Welbeck for about the same money.

The year we finish outside the top four we are just going to drop off arent we?

While I'm not a fan of Welbeck at all he's the kind of player who should be good enough if we were to play pacy, counter-attacking stuff. All he needs to do is be inside the opposition half with his back to goal, lay the ball off to Ozil/Alexis and then run towards goal taking a player or two with him.
    The kind of simple stuff that too many of our supposedly top-class players don't seem that capable of for some reason.

That's my problem with Wenger during the Transfer season, he's a great man at making up excuses for his lack of spending, he's really our club's Achilles heal. While Jose, Brendan Rogers and Van Gaal have gone all out and spent their money on top talent. While Sanchez is a great signing, we should have added a Cavani, a Khedria and a top class Centre back. Made a statement but Wenger stubbornness has reared it's ugly head again.

We have to not get to carried away today, For me he needs three top class signings at the very least to convince me that we are on the right track. Don't see it happening and I expect a few of us to be ranting by 11:01 p.m.

Dream signings!

Busquets
    Messi
    Thiago Silva

my three are keeping it real!

• Advertisement

If we are goina get someone in we could do a lot better then Welbeck for about the same money.

oh I agree we can but they are been snapped up by our Rivals and other clubs cause of our Managers stubbornness at not wanting to pay over the price. Reus and Cavani are the perfect signings but let's be honest that ain't happening. He could have got Remy but pulled out.

I take Welbeck anyday over the week as our main forward over Sanago. So if we can't get anyone just get Welbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Arsenal missing out on Falcao with a loan deal 99% done to UTD, terrible news if turns out to be valid. Would have been an absolute top quality loan deal if there was an option to buy, can see us limping through to January and then getting quality cover and well off the pace.

wonga77 wrote: »

At this late stage, unless Wenger has kept it under wraps, can't see it happening. Would love it but I think our expectations should be lower.

wonga77 wrote: »

Never been convinced by Wellbeck but you can never write someone off, Look at Sturridge who most at Chelsea never felt he was good enough. (not saying Wellbeck is half as good as Sturridge but you get my point)

Not too many available strikers out there unless we put an offer in front of some club for a player that they cant refuse. Which wont happen in a million years at Arsenal

ibra scored a hatrick last night so who knows, him being injured was a reason give for EC not moving

kostas mitroglou on a 6mts/1y loan, you heard it here first (b9 itk :pac:)

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Arsenal missing out on Falcao with a loan deal 99% done to UTD, terrible news TBH. Would have been an absolute top quality loan deal if there was an option to buy.

Yeah was watching Transfer Centre, To be honest I can see why he would chose them over us. Just the way they are doing business is pretty good. While us we're one foot forward then one foot back. Wenger isn't that type of manager that will overspend to our downfall sadly if we want to be champions again.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Arsenal missing out on Falcao with a loan deal 99% done to UTD, terrible news TBH. Would have been an absolute top quality loan deal if there was an option to buy.

yep, just when you think you can't hate them more

doubt jen lawrence or kate uptons' leaks can even cheer me up from this

I hate saying this but would any of you throw 15-20 million for Van Persie?

I rather finish 5th

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yep, just when you think you can't hate them more

doubt jen lawrence or kate uptons' leaks can even cheer me up from this

They were nice though :pac:

Yep, I'm a bit downbeat to be honest cause I just know Wenger won't sign anyone who's world class. He hates been proved wrong so he will stick with Sanogo or put Sanchez up forward and wait for Walcott to come back so they can be a interchangeable forward line. Expect a solid Centre back, maybe push comes to shove a Defensive Midfielder who's past his best and the usual Wenger bull**** about We have the strikers and transfer market been overpriced for not buying a striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

No. Fcuking never.

Only if it was individual £1 notes attached to bricks!

Utd won't sell him. Who'd want him back anyway. Plus Van gaal and him are buddies.

Yep I don't buy into that club loyalty **** will never happen though

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bony seems the obvious option to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Bony seems the obvious option to me.

Completely agree. Would be a very good signing at a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement