Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If we don't sign a striker and DM today then I will no longer have any faith in Wenger to carry the club forward. The Ozil and Sanchez signings are pointless if if we can't address the areas we are weak in and push on. Am just gobsmacked at the whole situation to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

If we sign nobody in this Window my faith in Wenger (Transfer wise) is gone. I'd also be questioning if he should even stay as manager... Because this is a ****ing joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Is it 11 or 12 tonight?

I wonder what the players make of it all, I know they will never say so in public but surely the likes of Wilshere, Ramsey must be wondering what the hell is going on. One marquee signing wont fix everything although to be fair ive been very impressed with Debuchy and Chambers but as mentioned before they are only replacements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

If we don't sign a striker and DM today then I will no longer have any faith in Wenger to carry the club forward. The Ozil and Sanchez signings are pointless if if we can't address the areas we are weak in and push on. Am just gobsmacked at the whole situation to be honest.

It is amazing our manager is blind to the fact our team is clearly short on firepower and touch tacklers in the midfield. Expect a few 5-0 for City and Chelsea away again if we don't make those big signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Whilst these are priorities, surely a CB takes all precedence as we could actually end up in a disaster with only 3 and no youth/full backs who can cover..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Heard the club are having trouble trying to get in touch with wenger in Rome now.

He's refused to pay for roaming charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

So, if Wenger has to be physically present for all deals, how did we do all those deadline day deals?

All what deadline day deals? He's the manager of this great club it should be his number 1 priority today like every other manager in the country.

It stinks and that's were I stand

AdamD wrote: »
    Whilst these are priorities, surely a CB takes all precedence as we could actually end up in a disaster with only 3 and no youth/full backs who can cover..

Nope we need all three, we needa top class Striker badly have done since Van persie left for me. A defensive midfielder we never had a top quality once since Gilberto and a back up Centre back. we need all three not just one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

If things stay as they are (which looks likely) Wenger is going to be under intense pressure next time out at the emirates. He got a hard time of it last year which was hard to watch but he has brought this on himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Just out of interest, between Puma, TV increases, Emirates deal updating, how much extra cash is that on the books? The money has to be being used for something and while it'd be nice to keep hoping it'll go on the pitch it's getting a bit harder to believe all the time.

puma: 22
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10599389/Arsenal-sign-Puma-deal-worth-30-million-a-year-as-replacement-kit-supplier-for-Nike.html

emirates: 24.5
    http://news.arseblog.com/2012/11/arsenal-and-emirates-agree-30m-a-season-shirt-deal/
    the 30m is dependant on being in the CL though, not a really great deal either since it includes the naming rights for the stadium, probably would've got the guts of 30 from someone else anyway & could've then done a deal with emirates for the stadium too

PL TV/prize: 92.8('14) - 57.1('13) = 35.7
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-earn-956m-premier-7121220
    http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2013/05/21/where-the-money-went-premier-league-prize-and-tv-payments-for-2012-13-210501/
    obviously variable but the top 7 all got 85m+

so 82.2 for this summer, not including all them secondary deals they're signing left right centre
    or CL money which is give or take (take for last season) of €30, say £20

£100m easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Surely it'd be ridiculous for City to let us have Nastasic when they know we need a CB badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Surely it'd be ridiculous for City to let us have Nastasic when they know we need a CB badly.

Exactly. They wont sell to us. Only Arsenal help their rivals out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Phil T saying maybe the Falcao transfer was tactical to stop us getting him and making it easier for United to get top 4 and keep us in a weaker position. Plausible I would say.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dunno, it's not like they'd be giving us Sergio Aguero or something. Nastasic would be solid cover nothing more, particularly if it's just a loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    If we sign nobody in this Window my faith in Wenger (Transfer wise) is gone. I'd also be questioning if he should even stay as manager... Because this is a ****ing joke.

Careful with that now. Scraping fourth every year is a lot better than falling down the table. Wenger comes with some assurances. Sacking him opens up a whole can of worms.

Okay....so he wont spend money. He is too loyal to average players. He wont adapt his team to the opposition. He's stubborn. He relies too much on youth and has blind spots to deficiencies.

But he has brought gems of players to the club. Has made the club a lot of money in transfers. Acts with dignity off the pitch. Helped the club survive a costly stadium build. Seems to care about the club.

The grass isn't always greener.

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Is it 11 or 12 tonight?
    batistuta9 wrote: »
    puma: 22
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10599389/Arsenal-sign-Puma-deal-worth-30-million-a-year-as-replacement-kit-supplier-for-Nike.html

emirates: 24.5
    http://news.arseblog.com/2012/11/arsenal-and-emirates-agree-30m-a-season-shirt-deal/
    the 30m is dependant on being in the CL though, not a really great deal either since it includes the naming rights for the stadium, probably would've got the guts of 30 from someone else anyway & could've then done a deal with emirates for the stadium too

PL TV/prize: 92.8('14) - 57.1('13) = 35.7
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-earn-956m-premier-7121220
    http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2013/05/21/where-the-money-went-premier-league-prize-and-tv-payments-for-2012-13-210501/
    obviously variable but the top 7 all got 85m+

so 82.2 for this summer, not including all them secondary deals they're signing left right centre
    or CL money which is give or take (take for last season) of €30, say £20

£100m easy
    As you say, looking at United's deals some of them aren't particularly great. Still a lot of money though.
    Coupla years and it'll be enough to leverage against a new stadium somewhere in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

This thread is gas looking at it from the time we signed Sanchez to now :pac:

I'm laughing and crying at the same time haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Can we just skip the jan transfer window this year so we can avoid the meltdowns :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

For me no we may be short but at least we have 3CB's two of which make a brilliant pair.

In DM we have two players whilst good players we need better in our first 11.

Up front were fcuked if were going to be playing Sanogo for the next few months.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Dunno, it's not like they'd be giving us Sergio Aguero or something. Nastasic would be solid cover nothing more, particularly if it's just a loan.
    No major benefit to them to get rid of Nastasic though, won't be enough to give them leeway under FPP. Worth stopping us getting him.

• Advertisement

For me no we may be short but at least we have 3CB's two of which make a brilliant pair.

Up front were fcuked if were going to be playing Sanogo for the next few months.

Walcott or Sanchez will play up front and we have a tonne of central midfielders, 2 cb injuries and we're done. 1 CB injury and Chambers plays there in the long run, hes been good so far but hardly inspiring.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No major benefit to them to get rid of Nastasic though, won't be enough to give them leeway under FPP. Worth stopping us getting him.

True enough.

Walcott or Sanchez will play up front and we have a tonne of central midfielders, 2 cb injuries and we're done. 1 CB injury and Chambers plays there in the long run, hes been good so far but hardly inspiring.

But can they play up top were not really sure and with Wenger going with Sanogo up top at Leicester suggest he fancies him there or at best isn't sure about Sanchez there.

We do have a lot of CM's but only two DM's both of whom could be improved upon.

CB for me is lowest in priority.

Kirby wrote: »
    Careful with that now. Scraping fourth every year is a lot better than falling down the table. Wenger comes with some assurances. Sacking him opens up a whole can of worms.

Okay....so he wont spend money. He is too loyal to average players. He wont adapt his team to the opposition. He's stubborn. He relies too much on youth and has blind spots to deficiencies.

But he has brought gems of players to the club. Has made the club a lot of money in transfers. Acts with dignity off the pitch. Helped the club survive a costly stadium build. Seems to care about the club.

Kirby you are a Liverpool fan of course you say that :pac:. It's the fact he's got the money now to spend on getting a Top class Striker in and a Defensive Midfielder, which we have been calling out for, for years. He needs to show a little ambition, if Rogers ignored then fact you needed a striker and you were using a u21 who clearly isn't ready for that high level, would you be saying those exact same words about your manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Yeah, the CM is where we were overrun last year away from home which was a key contributor to the spankings. As for Sanogo, well that doesn't need describing. I would still like another CH too though, but to get none of the 3 is just so demoralising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Kirby wrote: »

1. Scraping fourth appears to be the height of our ambitions, though. And United look ominous. They're building a team that once it gets back in fourth, won't drop out, especially with how favourable FFP is going to be for them.

2. A hypothetical 'hey, the next guy might be crap' isn't an argument. The next guy could actually sign a striker.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Phil T saying maybe the Falcao transfer was tactical to stop us getting him and making it easier for United to get top 4 and keep us in a weaker position. Plausible I would say.

In fairness it Phil T this is the same man that said Sanchez was joining Liverpool then got all bitter when he didn't.

We need an out and out striker someone who score goals week in week out. Utd have one, Chelsea have one, Liverpool have a few. Everton bought one and a good back up. We are lacking, we should be buying A CB, DM and World Class Striker. Why are we saying we should take this one over that. We are Arsenal, we are a big club. Get all three

In fairness it Phil T this is the same man that said Sanchez was joining Liverpool then got all bitter when he didn't.

Haha I know I just like how he trolls Arsenal as much as he can.

CB has to be the priority for me, we're 2 injuries away from having to use academy players or Monreal at CB even when everyone is fit. Striker and DM on top of that would be brilliant but we would still challenge top 4 without them. Anything less than all three is ****ing joke but if it's only going to be one then it has to be a CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Looper007 wrote: »
    We need an out and out striker someone who score goals week in week out. Utd have one, Chelsea have one, Liverpool have a few. Everton bought one and a good back up. We are lacking, we should be buying A CB, DM and World Class Striker. Why are we saying we should take this one over that. We are Arsenal, we are a big club. Get all three

People want all 3, but at 5 to 2 on deadline they , they are just prioritising. Or trying to anyway.

CB has to be the priority for me, we're 2 injuries away from having to use academy players or Monreal at CB even when everyone is fit. Striker and DM on top of that would be brilliant but we would still challenge top 4 without them. Anything less than all three is ****ing joke but if it's only going to be one then it has to be a CB.

I'd just rather a starting DM or CF be brought in than a back up CB.

Give me the Hollywood signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Diaby playing CB, DM and striker in training :D
    Supposed to be flying at all 3 roles.

People want all 3, but at 5 to 2 on deadline they , they are just prioritising. Or trying to anyway.

I know we won't be getting all three, but we should be no excuses we shouldn't have signed them by now. Poor from Wenger.

We should be wanting to win the whole lot not just get top 4. Buy all three, why are we acting like we're bottom team instead of one of the biggest clubs around. It's amazing the lack of ambition at wanting to sign the best.

When's Diaby going to get his chance?

He's the rarest of eggs at the club.

Diaby playing CB, DM and striker in training :D
    Supposed to be flying at all 3 roles.

Eboue and Santos are coming bacK on the Free. We will win the league :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Any word on our injury situation lads?

Yeah a bit of a nasty headache and high blood pressure how about you?

• Advertisement

Saw Jermaine Defoe linked there, think I'm exhibiting early signs of a stroke here.

Hope slowly fading of any signings worthwhile.

If we sign no one and we loose at City Wenger will come under immense pressure imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Moderate, rising slowly (in Met Eireann radio voice).

I don't want to know honestly, it'll only make today harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If we sign no one and we loose at City Wenger will come under immense pressure imo.

Signing his own death warrant by not making any signings

Saw Jermaine Defoe linked there, think I'm exhibiting early signs of a stroke here.

We've turned him down according to the Telegraph :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

greendom wrote: »
    Signing his own death warrant by not making any signings

A tad OTT??

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Always a waiting game, let's not panic buy.... According to some, our business is done.

Where are all these deals that were dependant on CL qualification? Utd have gotten a replacement for RVP before we have. That's just ridiculous on our part.

Fighting for CL is what this season is looking like at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

A tad OTT??

not literally, of course, just his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Can see the atmosphere turning poisonous if we lose to City which is such a shame after all the positivity following the cup win and Sanchez signing.

A tad OTT??

maybe but a few bad results and lack of goals, I think he be under some pressure from the fans for sure, once you lose the fans it's as good as over. It's his fault to some extent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement