Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Kinda accepting it now. Letting it sink in. Think I might head to the pub soon to resolve my issues with today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I'm sick of fighting for CL, i mean what's the point in fighting for a place when Wenger isn't bothered in assembling a team worthy of winning the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

greendom wrote: »
    not literally, of course, just his career

Ah here. We're all hugely disappointed in the lack of activity in the last few days. But to say Wenger is ending his own career on the back of it is just plain wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Can see the atmosphere turning poisonous if we lose to City which is such a shame after all the positivity following the cup win and Sanchez signing.

We have City, Spures and Chelsea coming up, he's got to win all three for me to convince us he was right in not signing a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ah here. We're all hugely disappointed in the lack of activity in the last few days. But to say Wenger is ending his own career on the back of it is just plain wrong.

It's negligent not to sign a centre back when we don't have the numbers to cover in that position

Looper007 wrote: »
    We have City, Spures and Chelsea coming up, he's got to win all three for me to convince us he was right in not signing a striker.

I don't think convincing you is high on his list of priorities.

And even if we signed Messi, 9 points out of those three fixtures is a tall ask.

Well he has with Arsenal, to ignore the faults that he has is bad management Ed. You think he get as much freedom at any other club. I highly doubt it.

greendom wrote: »
    It's negligent not to sign a centre back when we don't have the numbers to cover in that position

I don't disagree with that at all. We need one, moreso than any other position.

Well he has with Arsenal, to ignore the faults that he has is bad management Ed. You think he get as much freedom at any other club. I highly doubt it.

Probably not, but i think he's earned that freedom.

I don't think convincing you is high on his list of priorities.

And even if we signed Messi, 9 points out of those three fixtures is a tall ask.

very funny :rolleyes:. Well you think our fans will be rolling out the red carpet if he doesn't pull of a miracle in the next few hours Ed. Come on, City and Chelsea ain't unbeatable. Stoke beat City. Spures got taken apart by Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Next matches:
    City H
    Dortmund A
    Villa A
    Southampton H (League Cup)
    Spurs H
    Galatasaray H
    Chelsea A

Up for grabs is 4th round in the League Cup, 6 points in the CL and 12 points in the league. What's acceptable out of that? If at the end of that run the main argument that people on here can come up with is that beating Southampton excuses other results then I imagine the crowd at the next match won't be too friendly.

Probably not, but i think he's earned that freedom.

And it's been our downfall, he's got far too much of it. He needs someone there making sure he's on the ball with Transfers. It's becoming far too much of a theme with us falling behind our rivals.

Next matches:
    City H
    Dortmund A
    Villa A
    Spurs H
    Galatasaray H
    Chelsea A

Up for grabs is 4th round in the League Cup, 6 points in the CL and 12 points in the league. What's acceptable out of that?

For me, beat Southampton, 4 points in CL and 9 points in PL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Liverpool fans laughing at us, saying hopefully we dont sign a striker so they can put some distance between us and them.

Depressed.

Next matches:
    City H
    Dortmund A
    Villa A
    Spurs H
    Galatasaray H
    Chelsea A

Up for grabs is 4th round in the League Cup, 6 points in the CL and 12 points in the league. What's acceptable out of that? If at the end of that run the main argument that people on here can come up with is that beating Southampton excuses other results then I imagine the crowd at the next match won't be too friendly.

City H Win
    Dortmund A Draw
    Villa A Win
    Southampton H (League Cup) Win
    Spurs H Win
    Galatasaray H Win
    Chelsea A Draw

What we should expect but with current squad unlikely.

very funny :rolleyes:. Well you think our fans will be rolling out the red carpet if he doesn't pull of a miracle in the next few hours Ed. Come on, City and Chelsea ain't unbeatable. Stoke beat City. Spures got taken apart by Liverpool.

Of course they're not, and on our day we can definitely beat all three. But to say that anything less than nine points is unacceptable is asking too much IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Last year in the league we scored 34 goals less than City. We scored 33 less than Liverpool. Nearly a goal a game.

We have lost our main striker and goal scorer.

Last year our title bid was derailed by Walcott's injury and no back up replacement signed in the window.

Does Wenger realise the club has cash to spend or has his mindset been so set by the past years when he was constrained.

It is beyond ridiculous.

Mucch better to buy from strength than go through what Man United are doing as that will be where we end up if there isn't more investment. 4th will be a struggle this year without a striker and DMF signed this window

Next matches:
    City H
    Dortmund A
    Villa A
    Spurs H
    Galatasaray H
    Chelsea A

Villa and Spures are a must 3 points, simple as. City at home we must go for the win. I take a point at Chelsea. League Cup play the second string. CL we just go for it. we won't win it with the team we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Liverpool fans laughing at us, saying hopefully we font sign a striker so they can put some distance between us and them.

Depressed.

Were going to get trolled a lot by all our rival fans and rightfully so when Liverpool, United, Chelsea and City all have far far far better CF's on there books than we do.

Well just have to grit our teeth and deal with it.

• Advertisement

Of course they're not, and on our day we can definitely beat all three. But to say that anything less than nine points is unacceptable is asking too much IMO.

7 points is a must. For him to defend himself in front of the fans, he must show us that his decision at not signing A striker and Defensive midfielder was justified. He put himself in this position cause he's so stubborn to not want to go all out and spend. He will be under some pressure during those run of matches Ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ramsey's gonna need to speed up this transition into Zidane reincarnate for us to stay in contention whilst waiting for Walcott's return to full fitness and match sharpness.

Were going to get trolled a lot by all our rival fans and rightfully so when Liverpool, United, Chelsea and City all have far far far better CF's on there books than we do.

It's tough to defend it when you actually agree with the detractors agaisn't Wenger over transfers, he's his worst own enemy.

Still a few hours to go - something still might materialize.

Hopefully a CB at the very least.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

5 or 6 points would be acceptable against City, Spurs, Chelsea even if we go out and land players for all 3 positions we need.

Metro linked us with Reus earlier, and why wouldn't they.

Just out of interest, are we still supporting Wenger absolutely no matter what or are people willing to change their opinions based on results?

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Ramsey's gonna need to speed up this transition into Zidane reincarnate for us to stay in contention whilst waiting for Walcott's return to full fitness and match sharpness.

I think it could be October/November before we see the best of Walcott again, much like Giroud's injury Walcotts was a long term injury that was overlooked last season when we had a real shot at the title.
    It's tough to defend it when you actually agree with the detractors agaisn't Wenger over transfers, he's his worst own enemy.

You can't defend just try grin and bare it because they will all be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Liverpool fans laughing at us, saying hopefully we dont sign a striker so they can put some distance between us and them.

Depressed.

Arsenal still have a very strong squad and it would be foolish of rival fans to troll them this early on. Arsenal will be fine.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    5 or 6 points would be acceptable against City, Spurs, Chelsea even if we go out and land players for all 3 positions we need.

If it's a win against Spurs and draws against the other 2 it's just about alright. Still means having to beat Villa, Southampton, Galatasaray and drawing with Dortmund in between. Pity that that feels like a lot to expect.

Mickeroo wrote: »

City and Spurs at home I expect 6 points, we have to win at home. Chelsea a point away would be nice but I expect them to beat us well.

Messi to have medical at Arsenal. That's as Reliable as anything from the Metro :pac:

I think it could be October/November before we see the best of Walcott again, much like Giroud's injury Walcotts was a long term injury that was overlooked last season when we had a real shot at the title.

I'd be surprised if he gets more than a couple of cameos this month.

• Advertisement

Need to win our home games and at the minimum draw our away games against rivals.

Anything less and we are in top 4 area rather than title challenging.

Just out of interest, are we still supporting Wenger absolutely no matter what or are people willing to change their opinions based on results?

I stand by the team once the transfer window closes. I hope Wenger proves me wrong but I seriously worry for us, watching our rivals buying big and seen us go into a season with a unproven 20 year old as our main striker, with Wenger saying we are capable of winning the league makes me wonder if he's the right man to lead the club. With our displays so far this season, the weaknesses are still there. I'm still onside at this moment but it's grinding me down.

I stand by the team once the transfer window closes. I hope Wenger proves me wrong but I seriously worry for us, watching our rivals buying big and seen us go into a season with a unproven 20 year old as our main striker, with Wenger saying we are capable of winning the league makes me wonder if he's the right man to lead the club. With our displays so far this season, the weaknesses are still there. I'm still onside at this moment but it's grinding me down.

Team is one thing, what would it take for you to question if Wenger's the right guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I judge on results not on transfer window

I said here already I think we can win the league with what we have and I believe we can

But by not signing someone he is leaving us really really tight and he is leaving himself open to critisism

I'm still excited about the season and nothing will change that

Team is one thing, what would it take for you to question if Wenger's the right guy?

For me it would be no signings now and poor performances/results in the next ten fixtures.

HazDanz wrote: »
    For me it would be no signings now and poor performances/results in the next ten fixtures.

How poor is poor? :P

I still stand by the team and I do think once the dust settles we still have a strong team but it is infuriating we have once again ignored key areas and are heading into the season with Sanogo leading the line a player who has yet to score in a competitive game.

It's not good enough nor acceptable and rightfully so the club and Wenger will come under a lot of pressure if results don't go favorably.

Watching and supporting the team for the last 5 years if i'm honest.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

5-1 demolition away to Liverpool for me last season, topped off with the Everton and Chelsea results too. FA cup win and positive start to the transfer window had me back on board again.

Bad results after the international break coupled with nothing happening between now and 11pm could change my outlook again.

How poor is poor? :P

City H Lose
    Dortmund A Lose
    Villa A Draw
    Southampton H (League Cup)Win
    Spurs H Lose
    Galatasaray H Draw
    Chelsea A Lose

Something like that would have me wound up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I judge on results not on transfer window

I said here already I think we can win the league with what we have and I believe we can

But by not signing someone he is leaving us really really tight and he is leaving himself open to critisism

I'm still excited about the season and nothing will change that

This exact line has been applicable to our situation at the close of every window for the past few seasons. Im sick of it

To at least improve on this season, meaning winning the title for me personally. Another F.A Cup or a League Cup wouldn't be sniffed at but I was really expecting us to go all out this season and buy the players needed. I think if he doesn't sign a big name by tonight or buy in a few very good squad players and struggles over the next few games in the league (by the end of Christmas if we're still not in the race, I could see it been his last season). I give it to the end of the year for him to prove me wrong. I just can't stand to se us fighting for 4th again.

HazDanz wrote: »
    City H Lose
    Dortmund A Lose
    Villa A Draw
    Southampton H (League Cup)Win
    Spurs H Lose
    Galatasaray H Draw
    Chelsea A Lose

Something like that would have me wound up.

Wound up that would have me fuming :pac:.

Marty I feel like a dog who has been hit too often by the stick at this stage. Desensitized and accepting of sh*t :P

It's not good enough nor acceptable and rightfully so the club and Wenger will come under a lot of pressure if results don't go favorably.

We are such a loyal bunch he'll get the next few games to show us he was right not to buy a striker. To depend on Theo to get back to full fitness, which is why i don't think he will buy a striker, is unfair to him. But if we get a thumping by Chelsea and City, plus lose to Spurs. I could see him lose the fans and find it hard to win them over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

We are unbeaten in 12 games, 13 if you include the Community Shield.

We have signed Sanchez, Debuchy, Chambers and Ospina with Campbell returning from being on loan.

We still have issues which we would like to sort but there are few spaces in the 25 for the Champions League.

There is still 8 hours to go.

I am more optimistic than last year but not yet confident in terms of a title challenge.

I have to laugh though at some of the ways people float in the wind. Many of the people out there criticising Wenger going to Rome are the same people who say he should have no involvement in transfers after identifying players, that it should all be left to Gazidis. When they seem to get what they want, they are still not happy.

I think that would lose him his job. No way would he be able to explain or get himself back outside with fans. He doesn't buy anyone on Transfer deadline day when he clearly needs more depth in his squad, loses to his main rivals again, loses at home in Champions league, draws away to Villa. I think he be on borrowed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

"If we hadn't signed anyone all Summer then brought in Debuchy, Chambers, Ospina & Sanchez today you'd all be kissing Wenger's feet"

A quote from twitter, kind of agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

As you say, looking at United's deals some of them aren't particularly great. Still a lot of money though.
    Coupla years and it'll be enough to leverage against a new stadium somewhere in America.

i wasn't even thinking about them, they're going to be taking 145m alone from adidas, chev. & AON is it (training gear or naming rights Can't mind), i don't know what other deals they've.

i thought that they should've been looking to separate those deals, stadium was already to 2021 now it's '28 - emirates the real winners from that deal (and the last)
    arsenal get a % of stuff sold by puma/shops too, jerseys, whatever other crap as well, forgot about that though not sure if it's much.

lands bought isn't it?
    No major benefit to them to get rid of Nastasic though, won't be enough to give them leeway under FPP. Worth stopping us getting him.

i think they'd sell him to help with FFP + they've to keep the same wage bill for the CL as last season as one of their restrictions, he'll not be making that list i imagine and supposedly he's been told he'll not get much time anyway
    Next matches:
    City H
    Dortmund A
    Villa A
    Spurs H
    Galatasaray H
    Chelsea A

acceptable is minimum really isn't it
    league 7/8 - no hammerings
    CL - 3
    CC - through

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement