Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I don't understand why after saying he bought Sanchez to be a striker, Wenger didn't play him up front against Leicester in order to start getting him settled into that role. Or was he complacent enough to think that a guy with no senior goals to his name was good enough to help us beat a newly promoted side. Don't understand his decisions anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

"If we hadn't signed anyone all Summer then brought in Debuchy, Chambers, Ospina & Sanchez today you'd all be kissing Wenger's feet"

A quote from twitter, kind of agree.

We'd also be out of the CL and lucky if we'd picked up any more than a point in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

"If we hadn't signed anyone all Summer then brought in Debuchy, Chambers, Ospina & Sanchez today you'd all be kissing Wenger's feet"

Not really while I was happy with them signings and still am I said before the window opened and have maintained all summer long we needed to sign a CF and a DM although I've been saying that for a few seasons now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Godge wrote: »
    We are unbeaten in 12 games, 13 if you include the Community Shield.

We have signed Sanchez, Debuchy, Chambers and Ospina with Campbell returning from being on loan.

We still have issues which we would like to sort but there are few spaces in the 25 for the Champions League.

There is still 8 hours to go.

I am more optimistic than last year but not yet confident in terms of a title challenge.

I have to laugh though at some of the ways people float in the wind. Many of the people out there criticising Wenger going to Rome are the same people who say he should have no involvement in transfers after identifying players, that it should all be left to Gazidis. When they seem to get what they want, they are still not happy.

We haven't beaten a top 4 team in a few years, got trashed by Liverpool, Chelsea and City last season away. He's let some top quality strikers go to rival clubs instead of showing some ambition going all out and signing them. Still waffles about not needing a striker and that he's looking out for transfers.

You are optimistic after this transfer deadline is over with a young Sanogo as are main striker. That we dropped points at Everton and a newly promoted team. That everything is great. Fair play I won't knock for been optimistic, I'm slightly worried.

Listen I hope you are right and I'm wrong. I hope in 8 hours he signs a top striker, defensive midfielder and Centre back.

I don't understand why after saying he bought Sanchez to be a striker, Wenger didn't play him up front against Leicester in order to start getting him settled into that role. Or was he complacent enough to think that a guy with no senior goals to his name was good enough to help us beat a newly promoted side. Don't understand his decisions anymore.

That's what worries me as well. I would feel a bit more confident and content if Wenger genuinely saw Sanchez as the CF the worrying part was he played Sanogo up front suggesting he's not sure about Sanchez or actually prefers Sanogo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Looper007 wrote: »
    We haven't beaten a top 4 team in a few years, got trashed by Liverpool, Chelsea and City last season away. He's let some top quality strikers go to rival clubs instead of showing some ambition going all out and signing them. Still waffles about not needing a striker and that he's looking out for transfers.

We beat Liverpool twice last season :confused:

Not really while I was happy with them signings and still am I said before the window opened and have maintained all summer long we needed to sign a CF and a DM although I've been saying that for a few seasons now.

I agree with this, we aren't mad at who he signed so far, I am are happy with those players. But he still hasn't signed a out and out top class proven striker, he hasn't had one since Van Persie. A defensive midfielder that's of top quality, he hasn't had one since Gilberto. He still hasn't confronted those problem positions and he's still bluffing it with the same old lines and BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Theo is more of a CF than Sanchez

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    We beat Liverpool twice last season :confused:

oh yeah silly me they finished 2nd :pac:. No once in the league they trashed us at their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Liverpool fans laughing at us, saying hopefully we dont sign a striker so they can put some distance between us and them.

Depressed.

Fcuk them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

You are optimistic after this transfer deadline is over with a young Sanogo as are main striker. That we dropped points at Everton and a newly promoted team. That everything is great. Fair play I won't knock for been optimistic, I'm slightly worried.

Listen I hope you are right and I'm wrong. I hope in 8 hours he signs a top striker, defensive midfielder and Centre back.

If Wenger wants a striker, he will have to ship out at least one of Sanogo, Campbell or Podolski to make room. Nothing he has said or on the net suggests they are in line for a move which makes me think a striker is off the list.

One player to fill CB/DM may be all we see.

Lassana Diarra, how did Wenger let him go. Would have been perfect for us really over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

We haven't beaten a top 4 team in a few years,

I have to disagree with you there. We have beaten Liverpool regularly and even beat Chelsea and City the season before... It's only last season we capitulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I have to disagree with you there. We have beaten Liverpool regularly and even beat Chelsea and City the season before... It's only last season we capitulated.

True, but we havent beaten more than we've lost either Id reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

This time last month i had high expectations, winning the PL seemed realistic and having a good go at the CL was on the cards.

After the last month i now feel 2nd or 3rd is our best bet but will likely get 4th or 5th and CL is looking like a round of 16 if we're lucky!

2 signings and a bit of tactical cop on from Wenger and i think i can get back to the first set of expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

2 signings and a bit of tactical cop on from Wenger and i think i can get back to the first set of expectations.

Yeah I agree, That's why it's so frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm going to have a big meltdown when I get home from work, this is atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Wenger not being in London today is really sticking two fingers up at the fans. We will now see his stupid grin in his next press conference as he looks down on everyone because he thinks he is so much smarter than everyone yet he can't seem to see what is glaringly obvious to the dogs in the streets. All this horsesh.t about wengers poker face makes me laugh, why not just identify targets and go get them like a club of our stature should and none of this smoke and mirrors crap. I am seriously pissed off with the lack of activity today and with our injury record we could be in big trouble if we pick up another couple of injuries. Pathetic effort from such a big club.

our record isn't great though Nemeses2050, it's the odd win here and there. But we've been beaten a lot over the last few years especially away from home it's laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Lassana Diarra, how did Wenger let him go. Would have been perfect for us really over the last few years.

Along with diarra and Gilberto in the one window and replaced with denilson.

He really has made some terrible decisions.

• Advertisement

Wenger not being in London today is really sticking two fingers up at the fans. We will now see his stupid grin in his next press conference as he looks down on everyone because he thinks he is so much smarter than everyone yet he can't seem to see what is glaringly obvious to the dogs in the streets. All this horsesh.t about wengers poker face makes me laugh, why not just identify targets and go get them like a club of our stature should and none of this smoke and mirrors crap. I am seriously pissed off with the lack of activity today and with our injury record we could be in big trouble if we pick up another couple of injuries. Pathetic effort from such a big club.

No it's pathetic from Wenger not Arsenal. Wenger won't be smiling for to much longer a few bad results added in with the lack of signing a striker and Defensive midfielder and another scrap for 4th, I think he will lose the fans. I think he saved his ass with the F.A Cup, it only saved him for another season.

Having already lost Vermaelen and Sagna? Nah.

No it's pathetic from Wenger not Arsenal. Wenger won't be smiling for to much longer a few bad results added in with the lack of signing a striker and Defensive midfielder and another scrap for 4th, I think he will lose the fans. I think he saved his ass with the F.A Cup, it only saved him for another season.

In fairness it is pathetic from Arsenal and Wenger.

Along with diarra and Gilberto in the one window and replaced with denilson.

He really has made some terrible decisions.

Some absolute shockers. Signing Santos, Arshavin (although who knew he be that bad). Letting our big players go to rival clubs and letting them out of long term contracts cause they hassled him a little.

Cavani, carvalho, and a cb and I will feel a tiny bit better. Otherwise I'm getting the pitchfork from the shed.

In fairness it is pathetic from Arsenal and Wenger.

Wenger is in control, it's a well known fact. He shouldn't be to be fair, he's done a lot for us but to give him that much power is OTT. Especially on Transfer where it's hurting us the most right now.

Some absolute shockers. Signing Santos, Arshavin (although who knew he be that bad). Letting our big players go to rival clubs and letting them out of long term contracts cause they hassled him a little.

Them I could forgive because of the financial constraints due to the building of the new stadium.

But the arrival of Ozil and Sanchez was meant to be the dawn of a new era.

People often gave Wenger lee way during those years saying he had no financial muscle but to be still ignoring key areas and weaknesses in the squad when money is now available is a much harder pill to swallow.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Cavani, carvalho, and a cb and I will feel a tiny bit better. Otherwise I'm getting the pitchfork from the shed.

I'm be having a massive piss up at my place if that happens :pac:

You can get the pitchfork so :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sandro is possibly on his way to QPR, always thought he was a good DM for the spuds, wierd one.

Wenger is in control, it's a well known fact. He shouldn't be to be fair, he's done a lot for us but to give him that much power is OTT. Especially on Transfer where it's hurting us the most right now.

It is well reported Wenger is in control, but even if so why are the board allowing him so much control? Why is no one one the board standing up today and saying this is not good enough something must be done?

As much as Wenger will have questions to answer the board is not blameless and questions should be asked of them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I think if there was going to be a big name in, it'd have been rumoured by now. Not gonna happen :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

our record isn't great though Nemeses2050, it's the odd win here and there. But we've been beaten a lot over the last few years especially away from home it's laughable.

I agree it's not great, but apart from last year and 8-2 against United, I don't think we had such capitulations.

Raf32 wrote: »
    You can get the pitchfork so :pac:

You're bringing the flaming torch right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I think if there was going to be a big name in, it'd have been rumoured by now. Not gonna happen :-(

Any name would do at this point!! We are 1 defensive injury away from a huge crisis.

Its just un****ingbelievable Wenger and the club have let it get this far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Are there any rumours out there any at all for the love of god I need a fcuking rumour

Torch and Pitchfork ready. Time to storm the Emirates :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

It is well reported Wenger is in control, but even if so why are the board allowing him so much control? Why is no one one the board standing up today and saying this is not good enough something must be done?

As much as Wenger will have questions to answer the board is not blameless and questions should be asked of them as well.

Agree with you, it is probably the case that the board is quite happy with the financials of the club and turn the other way at times like this.
    The real problems will start if we end up outside the top-4 - they might be worried then, but it would be too late, act proactively not retroactively.

But the arrival of Ozil and Sanchez was meant to be the dawn of a new era.

People often gave Wenger lee way during those years saying he had no financial muscle but to be still ignoring key areas and weaknesses in the squad when money is now available is a much harder pill to swallow.

I wonder if Sanchez knows what he landed himself in for, having to supply Sanogo who looks like he never hit a ball after laying up Messi and Neymar last season. Ozil is probably wondering what he got himself in for too.

It's the excuses and BS that he will come out with after the deadline that drives me crazy to be fair with Wenger. Every month after been beaten by our rivals "We will still win the League" and "we will sort out their problems" then a week later we get a trashing at our rivals. Every season it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Raf32 wrote: »
    Torch and Pitchfork ready. Time to storm the Emirates :pac:

The fcuker is not there I'll hijack a Ryainair plane

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »

Could always borrow Falcaos plane when he is done with it :D

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Agree with you, it is probably the case that the board is quite happy with the financials of the club and turn the other way at times like this.
    The real problems will start if we end up outside the top-4 - they might be worried then, but it would be too late, act proactively not retroactively.
    ~£50 million penalty straightaway for missing out on CL. It really wouldn't take much for a proper nosedive in the club's fortunes. As unpalatable as that statement may be to many on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

They constantly build us up to let us down, I remember 2012 when we bought cazorla girouds and podolski and we thought jesus were well up for the title then we sold nasri nd rvp and clichy always the same **** I'm sick of it

Soups123 wrote: »

He's playing Volleyball at the beach in Italy, with a few Victoria Secret models. drinking Champagne and coming up with his excuses for us fans :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

How bad are the club at PR tho? If Wenger knew that a couple of deals were due to be closed today and he flew to italy it wouldnt be a problem, but surely the club would know what kind of s*itstorm this would cause if we didnt sign anyone> And what was with the "we will be very active" nonsense yesterday? Any goodwill from the cup win and sanchez has well and truly gone today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Save the meltdowns for tomorrow lads

fcuk this shiit

7297_8f88.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm still very confident that we'll finish top 4, unfortunately I can forsee another early CL exit and no sustained title challenge. Not having the meltdowns about 5th place etc. though, our team is still very good, but lacking backup in a couple of areas. I also think Sanchez is our new striker, it won't be Sanogo every week until Giroud comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

We're not signing anyone. We aren't even being linked to anyone so forget it.

Even by his own standards Wenger has surpassed expectations this time.

Fcuking livid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

What Ive just remembered is the post match interview after the Emirates cup where he said "15th August onwards we will have a surprise" or "will be very busy for us" or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement