Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

~£50 million penalty straightaway for missing out on CL. It really wouldn't take much for a proper nosedive in the club's fortunes. As unpalatable as that statement may be to many on here.

that's my worry Button. And the last few years showed that the distance from 1st to 4th is quite similar to the distance from 4th to 6th /7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

They constantly build us up to let us down, I remember 2012 when we bought cazorla girouds and podolski and we thought jesus were well up for the title then we sold nasri nd rvp and clichy always the same **** I'm sick of it

I was so looking forward to that season, thinking we got the back ups for RVP and added to the midfield. I thought we would win the league that season. Clichy left, not a big problem we had Gibbs. Then the news of RVP leaving for Utd, I knew we were screwed. Wenger came up with some BS and we all ate it up :(

AdamD wrote: »
    I'm still very confident that we'll finish top 4, unfortunately I can forsee another early CL exit and no sustained title challenge. Not having the meltdowns about 5th place etc. though, our team is still very good, but lacking backup in a couple of areas. I also think Sanchez is our new striker, it won't be Sanogo every week until Giroud comes back.

Still we should have a top quality centre forward in our ranks, no excuses for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Our chief rivals for the EPL title over the years have been -- City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea. All have been there or thereabouts for a long time.

Last season Home and Away we took 1 point from City, 2 points from United, 1 point from Chelsea and 3 points from Pool. That's 7 points out of a possible 24.

In the meantime they all have strengthened imo bar maybe Pool and from what I can see we are treading water and with injuries maybe gone a bit back in truth.

Now how can anyone really think we will do any better this season, realistically?
    We are as injury prone as ever and playing with a kid up front for the next 3 months. Walcott will take time to settle back and as someone else said we are an injury or two away from Hayden playing CB and Diaby DM.

I'm very fearful.

Now on the other hand i'm not going to worry too much. In the last year I lost two sisters to cancer and this evening i will be visiting a very sick friend.

While this crazy game can dominate our lives at times, excite and disgust us in equal proportions it is important to remember that there are more important things than football. Hopefully we will sign someone but i won't be holding my breath. Life will go on either way.

Save the meltdowns for tomorrow lads

How about 11.05 tonight?

Liverpool can afford to drop 15 goals a season if they can tighten up their defence. They're looking good to do that this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Our chief rivals for the EPL title over the years have been -- City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea. All have been there or thereabouts for a long time.

Last season Home and Away we took 1 point from City, 2 points from United, 1 point from Chelsea and 3 points from Pool. That's 7 points out of a possible 24.

In the meantime they all have strengthened imo bar maybe Pool and from what I can see we are treading water and with injuries maybe gone a bit back in truth.

Now how can anyone really think we will do any better this season, realistically?
    We are as injury prone as ever and playing with a kid up front for the next 3 months. Walcott will take time to settle back and as someone else said we are an injury or two away from Hayden playing CB and Diaby DM.

I'm very fearful.

Now on the other hand i'm not going to worry too much. In the last year I lost two sisters to cancer and this evening i will be visiting a very sick friend.

While this crazy game can dominate our lives at times, excite and disgust us in equal proportions it is important to remember that there are more important things than football. Hopefully we will sign someone but i won't be holding my breath. Life will go on either way.

Heavy stuff there tayto. Very sorry to hear that you've had terrible family woes.

I love football, just wish our club would stop teasing us with high expectations in their talk to leave us short when the challenge needs to be made to match their words of encouragement in the transfer market.

I'm very fearful.

After a rant for half hour after 11, I be looking forward to the next game. We all disagree about things but at the end of the day it's about what happens on the field. WE all love a rant to be fair cause we care but far more important things in life to worry about. Sorry to hear about your loss Tayto, hope your friend gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

AdamD wrote: »
    Sandro is possibly on his way to QPR, always thought he was a good DM for the spuds, wierd one.

Thats outrageous if true, he is an upgrade on both Arteta and Flamini.

It seems like we go around in circles, players leave we replace but never seem to strengthen. Its years now that we have been so near but yet so far away from completing the jigsaw puzzle, so frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Not looking good. We'd be hearing news by now if anyone coming in. If we lose Mert or kos for any length of time we are in massive trouble. Chambers will be on and we will have zero defensive cover. We can piss and moan about strikers all we want but that is the biggest problem we are goina have and its a sackable offence imo

Liverpool can afford to drop 15 goals a season if they can tighten up their defence. They're looking good to do that this season.

Not many teams can afford to drop many points Button. Coem on Button get behind the team stop looking at the negatives all the time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gringo180 wrote: »
    It's not outrageous at all, have you forgotten who he plays for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Looper007 wrote: »
    Not many teams can afford to drop many points Button. Coem on Button get behind the team stop looking at the negatives all the time :)

I think he's very much behind the team and that is WHY he is so negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Couldn't give a **** if it helps out the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

jonny666 wrote: »
    Not looking good. We'd be hearing news by now if anyone coming in. If we lose Mert or kos for any length of time we are in massive trouble. Chambers will be on and we will have zero defensive cover. We can piss and moan about strikers all we want but that is the biggest problem we are goina have and its a sackable offence imo

For me it's worse to have no one to score goals than having cover in defence, at least in defence we can hope for no injuries up front if Sanogo plays we be hoping the ball bounces of the back of his head and goes in with him unawares.

We seen the weekend anytime Sanogo got the ball attacks broke down I've seen 10 year olds in the local park with a better first touch than Sanogo it's actually embarassing for Arsenal.

• Advertisement

True enough we would have to offer way over the odds for that shower to sell to us.

I think he's very much behind the team and that is WHY he is so negative.

Ah but I like hear him say one good thing, I haven't seen him say anything good for weeks :pac:

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Agreed he would be an upgrade on both imo and sure didn't we sign Sol Campbell from them ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I don't care whether he played for them lot either, you've missed my point. Spurs would never sell him to us.

They won't sell him to Arsenal. they ain't like us to be fair selling to Rivals.

• Advertisement

Agreed he would be an upgrade on both imo and sure didn't we sign Sol Campbell from them ;).

Campbells contract expired tho, Sandro is a quality player but dont like the idea of them holding us to ransom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

It seems like we go around in circles, players leave we replace but never seem to strengthen. Its years now that we have been so near but yet so far away from completing the jigsaw puzzle, so frustrating.

Sandro? Do you mean the same Sandro who could not get into the Spurs midfield ahead of Paulinho, another over-hyped midfielder? Seriously? Would pick Isaac Hayden from the kids ahead of Sandro.

Godge wrote: »
    Sandro? Do you mean the same Sandro who could not get into the Spurs midfield ahead of Paulinho, another over-hyped midfielder? Seriously? Would pick Isaac Hayden from the kids ahead of Sandro.

He was a regular for them until he had a bad injury. No doubt about it he is a better def mid than Arteta and Flamini.

Looper007 wrote: »

Goals, not point. If they dropped 15 goals compared last season it would leave them scoring 86, still 18 more than we scored last year.

For me it's worse to have no one to score goals than having cover in defence, at least in defence we can hope for no injuries up front if Sanogo plays we be hoping the ball bounces of the back of his head and goes in with him unawares.

We seen the weekend anytime Sanogo got the ball attacks broke down I've seen 10 year olds in the local park with a better first touch than Sanogo it's actually embarassing for Arsenal.

I am goina give Wenger the benefit of the doubt when he says Sanchez was signed as a striker.

No excuse for center back. Tommy V. is gone how long now?

I am goina give Wenger the benefit of the doubt when he says Sanchez was signed as a striker.

Well why wasn't he striking on Sunday? I don't know what game Wenger is playing but it's obvious he's happy with Sanogo up front and will only play Sanchez there when he feels it's needed.

I think the decent thing for the Club to do right now, if they ain't signing anyone, to come out and say it now. Put us out of our misery so we can at least relax :pac:

Well why wasn't he striking on Sunday? I don't know what game Wenger is playing but it's obvious he's happy with Sanogo up front and will only play Sanchez there when he feels it's needed.

the simple fact, he doesn't like to be told who to sign. That's the reason he won't sign a forward. That's his stubbornness coming through.

As regards the CB position my take on it is that Wenger sees Monrael as cover for that position too. Didn't he play him there pre-season too. Gibbs being out though causes concern as Monrael is required to cover that position too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

He was a regular for them until he had a bad injury. No doubt about it he is a better def mid than Arteta and Flamini.

In 25 appearances last season, he only started and finished 9 times(5 of those nine were in the Europa or Carling Cup). In the other sixteen, he was subbed on or off. On 6 other occasions, he was an unused substitute.

There were appearances in every month except January (probably because they were trying to get rid of him).

There is no way a bit-part player like him is an upgrade on Arteta.

• Advertisement

As I've said already I'd be a bit more content if I believed that but what worries me is he played Sanogo against Leicester and not only that but persisted with him when it was obvious to everyone bar Wenger he was playing terrible with the ball more likely to bounce of him than control it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We've given Sanogo enough games to grab one goal at this stage, its not his fault. Podolski, I would like to see him up front starting for a game or two just to see again. Campbell, I have no idea what he is like up on his own for us which is why I would love to see him have a few games there. He is a work horse which I love.

As I've said already I'd be a bit more content if I believed that but what worries me is he played Sanogo against Leicester and not only that but persisted with him when it was obvious to everyone bar Wenger he was playing terrible with the ball more likely to bounce of him than control it.

Only Wenger knows why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Some hope lads..

"@gunnerblog Arsenal working hard to make one happen before the end of the day - most likely defensive cover. Hang on in there" - Timpayton

Only Wenger knows why.

joyofsect.jpg

Some hope lads..

"@gunnerblog Arsenal working hard to make one happen before the end of the day - most likely defensive cover. Hang on in there" - Timpayton

Nice but I doubt it please fans sadly.

joyofsect.jpg

is that you Button :pac:

If i didn't hate my job so much i'd be closing boards down and completely forgetting about the fact it's deadline day :(

Some hope lads..

Not good enough for me.

• Advertisement

If i didn't hate my job so much i'd be closing boards down and completely forgetting about the fact it's deadline day :(

yeah it sucks but it's always nice having a chat with fellow Gooners anyway.

Hope this is not true as he hasn't been given a chance at Arsenal yet --

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/08/joel-campbells-agent-in-lisbon-to-discuss-benfica-move/

Godge wrote: »
    In 25 appearances last season, he only started and finished 9 times(5 of those nine were in the Europa or Carling Cup). In the other sixteen, he was subbed on or off. On 6 other occasions, he was an unused substitute.

There were appearances in every month except January (probably because they were trying to get rid of him).

There is no way a bit-part player like him is an upgrade on Arteta.

He was one of Spurs best players when they qualified for the Champions Lge a few seasons back under Redknapp, its probably one of the reasons why he wants to take him on board at QPR. He is a big strapping defensive midfielder that loves a tackle and has an eye for a pass, at a measley 6 million pounds I would take the risk on him. Hes only 25 years old too so if it didnt work out I am sure we would get back some of our losses.

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/08/joel-campbells-agent-in-lisbon-to-discuss-benfica-move/

That be a disaster, it will really rock the boat seen as he's not bringing in another striker. He's getting rid of a lad with a lot more promise then Sanogo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH if you were left on the bench with Sanogo getting a game ahead of you, you'd be asking for a transfer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I despair at selling him and keeping the donkey Sanogo. Fine if there is a striker to replace him but I'd still rather him to Sanogo. To sell and have no replacement would be actual incompetence by Wenger.

• Advertisement

Thats sick if true.

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH if you were left on the bench with Sanogo getting a game ahead of you, you'd be asking for a transfer as well.

It's mind boggling that Wenger doesn't fancy Lukas or Joel full internationals with experience in the CL and WC for a French lad who's injury prone and plays like he never kicked a ball before. One of Wenger's crazy decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

won't happen unless a striker is brought in.

Sweet jesus that just can't be true we couldn't be so inept as to let him go and keep Sanogo.

This about sums it up

Arsenal Fans Deadline Day

7am- Hope
    9am- Frustration
    2pm- Anger
    4pm- Acceptance
    8pm- False hope
    11pm- Depression

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement