Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

G1032 wrote: »
    Because Sanogo is the only other option.......

I think it will be Sanchez and Welbeck out wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wenger " After Aug 15th we will be very active" ........ and we get Danny feckin Wellbeck, no DM (and no CB).

I'm more upset about the DM than anything though. Chelsea will drive a cart and horses through us again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

MD1990 wrote: »
    so 32m on Chambers on Welbeck. Some inflation there.

Wenger is right in saying that paying big money for a young player is worth it.

He has spent over 10 million on Chambers, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamerlain. The latter two were definitely worth it considering the seasons we have gotten and will get out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Soups123 wrote: »

Let's wait and see I suppose but I'd bet it'll be the other way around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

With all due respect getting the 3rd string striker from a team that finished 7th isn't something i'm too chuffed about. You can keep him.

Tell us who is better out there right now Bob? you are complaining about Welbeck. Give us a few names that we could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Welbeck would be a fantastic signing for you guys. Most of us in the united thread would rather he not leave, not permanently anyway.
    Was just about to post this, I've been reading the united thread since earlier after we were linked with him and the general jist was that everyone didn't want him to leave, bit of luck he finds a bit of form, any half decent striker should score a few with that midfield behind them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

omega man wrote: »
    With Sanchez and Welbeck as our CFs were going to be in a much better place, believe me.

Surely now Sanogo or Campbell are better off going on a years loan.

I cant help but think Baloteili would have been a much better signing for the same money although Welbeck does have age on his side

kev250 wrote: »
    The only image i have of Welbeck is that trick he done at the corner flag and kicked it out of play. Do people think he really has potential to lead our attack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Balo went for the same price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

NUTZZ wrote: »
    I know, that's why I'm surprised if he has not been confirmed yet. They normally only report on done deals.

Checking for signs of life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Could av got Balotelli or Remy or Bony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

With all due respect getting the 3rd string striker from a team that finished 7th isn't something i'm too chuffed about. You can keep him.

With all due respect I don't think you have a clue what you're taking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Raf32 wrote: »
    Balo went for the same price!

Thats because Milan are in massive debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Looper007 wrote: »
    Tell us who is better out there right now Bob? you are complaining about Welbeck. Give us a few names that we could get.

Hmm lets see we could have bidded for Falcao,Cavani,Higuain,Remy,Ba,Bony etc, we had all summer.

Don't give me that crap you know we could have done better and your only convincing yourself otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Welbeck would be a fantastic signing for you guys. Most of us in the united thread would rather he not leave, not permanently anyway.
    That's a bit patronizing, basically saying he's not good enough for us, but is ok for you.

Arsene has definitely dropped the ball in this window and this signing smacks of desperation. He had first option on Fabregas and passed it up. Arsenal were supposedly in pole position to get Balotelli and he passed it up. If he had been willing to open up the purse strings, I'd say Falcao could have been secured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Falcao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I cant help but think Baloteili would have been a much better signing for the same money although Welbeck does have age on his side

what?

Balotelli is 3 months older?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Soups123 wrote: »

Why would that be the case when we already have walcott, chamberlain and sanchez to play out wide when hes clearly needed centrally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Thats because Milan are in massive debt.
    Arsenal were in pole position to get Balotelli at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

This is exciting. Welbeck is a good sign and it maintains our books for home grown talent! No promises were made that we would sign someone massive today; it's just been a whole lot of bile and conjecture from online sources. Look who we've been linked with this entire summer! We've signed 5 players now, something of a change in the club. Have a bench that would beat the socks off of the previous subs we've had not too long ago.

The hype of signings from other clubs should not affect our transfers. I think we've done pretty well this summer, just look at what we could achieve next summer, especially for a club showing growth.

Welbeck reminds me of Wright from his early days, and I know he'll improve under Wenger. If this were last summer jst after Utd had won the League, I think there would be much nicer words said about Welbeck! Best of luck to him and I can't wait to see him play.

Anyone still think we shouldn't have gone for Balotelli for that kind of money? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

3rd string striker wouldn't be hard behind Falcao and RVP to be fair now would it??

Hmm lets see we could have bidded for Falcao,Cavani,Higuain,Remy,Ba,Bony etc, we had all summer.

Don't give me that crap you know we could have done better and your only convincing yourself otherwise.

they were signed up already. I'm talking about right now. Stop complaining and get behind the lad if he signs for the club. We had no chance of getting Cavani. Higuain wasn't leaving and Wenger didn't fancy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Checking for signs of life?

Im just saying the reporter on SSN was adamant no deal had been done yet, after BBC announced it. Never said it was true.

The non-opinion bits are pretty accurate.

• Advertisement

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david · 11m
    #AFC have agreement with #MUFC for permanent Welbeck signing. Fee in region of £16m, no issues expected with medical & terms #bbcdeadlineday

That's a bit patronizing, basically saying he's not good enough for us, but is ok for you.

Arsene has definitely dropped the ball in this window and this signing smacks of desperation. He had first option on Fabregas and passed it up. Arsenal were supposedly in pole position to get Balotelli and he passed it up. If he had been willing to open up the purse strings, I'd say Falcao could have been secured.

I don't think he was being patronising in fairness and his comment is reflective of the United thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

So many ignorant posters here that obviously don't see the Benefits of Signing Welbeck.

Yes.. There was other players we could have signed but we didn't! Its pointless looking back at them now. Welbeck has shown flashes of a very good player but never got the time to show it.

He's also 10X the player Sanogo is.
    Just be happy we got somebody.

Oh you meant Danny Welbeck!? yeah he's world class we'll be winning the league now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Wellbeck is a good player but not the answer to your problems. He's a 10 goal a season striker not a 20 goal a season.

As a United fan I am sad to see him leave though :(

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Unless we're selling someone or leaving someone out altogether (Diaby), we've only got 1 place left in the squad for a non home grown player. Getting another home grown player isn't a bad idea.

If Wenger doesn't sign a good defensive player tonight though he's completely incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Arsenal were in pole position to get Balotelli at one stage.

And I for one am glad we passed on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Balotelli is talented , but, he's nuts and gets moved on by clubs. Can't see him settling and doing a long term job for a club.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Why would that be the case when we already have walcott, chamberlain and sanchez to play out wide when hes clearly needed centrally

Just my thought and how Wenger normal plays it. Sure time will tell

pandaboy wrote: »
    If this were last summer jst after Utd had won the League, I think there would be much nicer words said about Welbeck! Best of luck to him and I can't wait to see him play.
    After 2 goals in 40 appearances?

Oh you meant Danny Welbeck!? yeah he's world class we'll be winning the league now.

Would you rather we be left with Sanogo?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Oh and who gives a **** about the fee. £12m or £16m, like it makes a difference.

After 2 goals in 40 appearances?

He scored 9 last season. Whats with only 2 in 40 appearances come off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

90 mins left and not a mention of fcuking defender this is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I really can't believe we haven't signed a centre back.

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    So many ignorant posters here that obviously don't see the Benefits of Signing Welbeck.

Yes.. There was other players we could have signed but we didn't! Its pointless looking back at them now. Welbeck has shown flashes of a very good player but never got the time to show it.

He's also 10X the player Sanogo is.
    Just be happy we got somebody.
    Oh come on. There's a reason he hasn't had a chance to show it. And unless he shows something he never has before and very quickly then he should be spending the season on the bench, still not able to show anything.

No centre back or Defensive Midfielder. Shame really. Especially the DM

Suppose its kinda funny that spurs wanted him too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I just want to put this down in writing so that I can refer to it in 6 months time if I'm right:

I trust Wenger if he's willing to pay 16 million for Welbeck that he thinks Welbeck can perform and add a lot to the team. So I'm actually excited to see what he can do in front of our much more creative midfield.

Sanogo is good at positioning himself. He had a lot of chances but couldn't find the net.
    Welbeck is also good at positioning himself. He'll get a lot of chances and I fancy him to get 1 in every 2 games if he does sign for us and start up front.

He scored 9 last season. Whats with only 2 in 40 appearances come off?
    What I quoted. Apparently if it was last summer we'd all be delighted.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    3rd string striker wouldn't be hard behind Falcao and RVP to be fair now would it??

Rooney and easily on par with Hernandez, it's not the point, he's not what we needed.
    they were signed up already. I'm talking about right now. Stop complaining and get behind the lad if he signs for the club. We had no chance of getting Cavani. Higuain wasn't leaving and Wenger didn't fancy him.

Seriously? If that's your attitude fair enough but i wont just be happy and settle for whatever **** we get, are you happy and getting behind the fact that we have only 3 centre halves?

No, i rather have a world class striker like every other top 5 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No. I'd rather Wenger was less stubborn and play either Podolski or Campbell up front, both of which I firmly believe are better than Welbeck and Sanogo.

Wenger being Wenger won't though and he'll stick with playing with effectively no striker to try prove a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

We've signed less players than every other club in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I'm like a broken record but.......

Why haven't we bought a defender ??!!

Bet Wenger is Goina use monreal and chambers as back up centre backs and flamini and the young left back for the wings.

Risky. And unnessacary

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement