Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We're a ****ing shambles of a club when it comes to transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

We've signed less players than every other club in the PL.

it's all comparable. we've only sold one real starter/squad player this season Vermaelen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Sky about an hour behind bbc ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

byrneg28 wrote: »
    it's all comparable. we've only sold one real starter/squad player this season Vermaelen

yeah but we let 2 more go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ok Wellbeck doesn't get the juices flowing he's not even good enough to give me a semi.

But if we do sign him ill give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do in an Arsenal jersey .

Now sign a DM and CB.

• Advertisement

Sagna? Jenkinson from the bench? Fabianski from the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Quazzie wrote: »
    No. I'd rather Wenger was less stubborn and play either Podolski or Campbell up front, both of which I firmly believe are better than Welbeck and Sanogo.

Wenger being Wenger won't though and he'll stick with playing with effectively no striker to try prove a point.

Tell to Wenger, he doesn't fancy Podolski as an out and out striker. I agree with him on that. Campbell I like to see been given a chance. Welbeck is a good player and I'm not getting all the serious hate for the lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Sagna?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

1 hour 15 minutes left to get a CB and a DM, we can do this!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Danny fcuking Welbeck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wenger is committing suicide if we don't sign a good DM lads.
    We'll be back here after a thumping complaining about this. Mark my words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'm working nights this week so I'll be going home and dreaming of signing Falcao and Carvalho wake up about three probably to signing of Heskey .

Nearly correct!

Welbeck!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

It’s time Arsenal stated looking towards English players as the future of our club’s future. The signing of Danny Welbeck is great for Arsenal imo! A young English striker (very similar to Ian Wright) who has been frozen out by Manchester United. Van Gaal has his plans for Utd’s future and Welbeck isn’t part of it. Welbeck coming to Arsenal ,who already have a great core nucleus of England players is great for club and country. They will all learn and develop from one another. Welcome to Arsenal Danny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wenger got exactly what he was looking for early on this summer.

He clearly had no intention of replacing Arteta. He's gone for Welbeck on the back of Giroud's injury.

Those who want Arteta out basically for anyone half decent don't appreciate what he brings.

The true out and out DMF's of the past - Gilberto, Makelele, etc were luxury that only work in a team stocked with Zidane's and Henry's.

Arteta brings an awful lot to us and given that our major problem last year was goals scored rather than goals conceded, replacing him would be risky.

Anyone got the stats for win rates w and w/out Arteta? Think it's shocking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

DenMan wrote: »
    It’s time Arsenal stated looking towards English players as the future of our club’s future. The signing of Danny Welbeck is great for Arsenal imo! A young English striker (very similar to Ian Wright) who has been frozen out by Manchester United. Van Gaal has his plans for Utd’s future and Welbeck isn’t part of it. Welbeck coming to Arsenal ,who already have a great core nucleus of England players is great for club and country. They will all learn and develop from one another. Welcome to Arsenal Danny.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

Wenger is committing suicide if we don't sign a good DM lads.
    We'll be back here after a thumping complaining about this. Mark my words.

What DM have we been linked with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Sagna? Jenkinson from the bench? Fabianski from the bench?

Debuchy, Chambers and Ospina are all upgrades on that.

Welbeck is an upgrade on Bendtner.

Campbell is an upgrade on Miyaichi.

Sanchez is a wonderful bonus extra.

It is only Vermaelen we have failed to upgrade.

gosplan wrote: »
    Wenger got exactly what he was looking for early on this summer.

He clearly had no intention of replacing Arteta. He's gone for Welbeck on the back of Giroud's injury.

Those who want Arteta out basically for anyone half decent don't appreciate what he brings.

The true out and out DMF's of the past - Gilberto, Makelele, etc were luxury that only work in a team stocked with Zidane's and Henry's.

Arteta brings an awful lot to us and given that our major problem last year was goals scored rather than goals conceded, replacing him would be risky.

Anyone got the stats for win rates w and w/out Arteta? Think it's shocking stuff.

Did he play against Chelsea, City, Everton and Liverpool in those drubbings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I think Cleverly is still available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can't believe Wenger hasn't signed a creative midfielder, crazy

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »

None of them are an upgrade enough to win a title.

This is a very subtle satire yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Yeah be great if i was English but i'm not, i see you're point pal.

liam7831 wrote: »
    I think Cleverly is still available

We have a ton of midfielders and Cleverly will never improve, Welbeck will.

Godge wrote: »

So other than Sanchez we've almost stood still and haven't addressed the issues we all knew about at the start of the summer? Gotya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Good post and totally agree.

Anyone still going on about Falcao just please remember he's on a reported 300k pounds per fcuking week at UTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I'm not sure of this is a serious comment or not.. What difference does it make if the core of the group is English or not? Or why does nationality matter at all? If anything we've learned there's few greater bottlers and chokers in world football than the English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

:rolleyes:

Stay pessimistic and stuck in the past! The rest of us will move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Looper007 wrote: »
    We have a ton of midfielders and Cleverly will never improve, Welbeck will.

I think he was taking the píss :pac:

• Advertisement

kev250 wrote: »
    What DM have we been linked with?

The Southampton lad, Sneiderling, and a few continental lads.
    Doesn't really matter though, we need one.

None of them are an upgrade enough to win a title.

You mean Sanchez, Chambers and Debuchy ain't upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I'm ok on Welbeck. Even if it doesn't work out, we won't lose any money on him as there will always be a Market for him amongst other English clubs.

We NEED a CB.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    I think he was taking the píss :pac:

Redzer7 you never know on this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I feel neither excitement or disappointed about Welbeck. I don't feel anything about this signing. Strange feeling.

That's it for us until January now when this farce can carry on

You mean Sanchez, Chambers and Debuchy ain't upgrades.

They are but none are good enough to lift us to winning a title. We still have a soft centre to the team, still tactically naive and weak and will still get run through by the big teams. Those are the issues that needed addressing above all else and Wenger has failed to address them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Lads if Alexis was getting signed today we would all be in dream land . Can't defend not buying a cover CB, so let's hope we get someone in.

Our team is really talented. I'm excited for the season , bundles of pace with Ox, Walcott, Welbeck and Alexis. Ramsey been great. Ozil and Wilshere have to show their quality even more this year, especially with those players around them.

Debuchy has slotted in and Chambers in a real talent. We have two good keepers and centre halfs.

Are we perfect ? No, of course not. A top DM would a need that we haven't been able to address and I know we are still suffering scars from the big losses last season. I'm optimistic , I think some of the talent we have just need to step it up a notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

I don't get all the doom and gloom over the signing of Welbeck. He will be a decent signing and with Alexis and Ozil around him he will bang in a few goals. If we didn't sign him we are stuck with Sanogo up front and he clearly offers nothing at the moment. Welbeck has the experience of the Premier League and he will see this as a massive opportunity for him to step up to the next level, I always felt he didn't have the confidence to advance to the next level at Utd but now he has a big chance. Its a new start for him and its a move he wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

Surprised United are willing to sell Welbeck, with the sale of Hernandez they could very easily be left stuck for a striker if Falcao got injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

So other than Sanchez we've almost stood still and haven't addressed the issues we all knew about at the start of the summer? Gotya.

If standing still is an upgrade in five positions plus Sanchez, then yes, we stood still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

omega man wrote: »
    Good post and totally agree.

Anyone still going on about Falcao just please remember he's on a reported 300k pounds per fcuking week at UTD.

Closer to £400. Telegraph reckons £364,000 per week. That'll be over £18,000,000 a year. It's obscene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

G1032 wrote: »
    Closer to £400. Telegraph reckons £364,000 per week. That'll be over £18,000,000 a year. It's obscene.

Yeah a club like Arsenal just could not afford such absurd wages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Did he play against Chelsea, City, Everton and Liverpool in those drubbings?

Scapegoat.

So what, stick Makelele in his prime in instead of Arteta and we stop conceding 4 in the first 20 mins of away matches.

if you think that's down to Arteta, you're blind tbh.

They are but none are good enough to lift us to winning a title. We still have a soft centre to the team, still tactically naive and weak and will still get run through by the big teams. Those are the issues that needed addressing above all else and Wenger has failed to address them.

I always said a top quality Striker and top class Defensive Midfielder was needed but there you go. Wenger thinks Sanchez, Walcott, Welbeck and Giroud will do the job up forward. Diaby must still be in Wenger's plans too for the defensive midfield role. I don't think we will win the league either but I feel more comfortable now we have a striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I always said a top quality Striker and top class Defensive Midfielder was needed but there you go. Wenger thinks Sanchez, Walcott, Welbeck and Giroud will do the job up forward. Diaby must still be in Wenger's plans too for the defensive midfield role. I don't think we will win the league either but I feel more comfortable now we have a striker.

Diaby is not a DM if anything he is an ACM. He looks like Veira but they are not similar players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Brian S really loves talking about his totalliser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Welbeck was played a lot out of position, to be fair. Let's wait and see how he plays.

He's coming to Arsenal like, he'll probably be played left back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I think Welbeck will thrive under a manager like Wenger who has no problem putting faith in and nurturing young talent (still only 23). Allied with the amount of chances your midfield will create I think Welbeck could be an incredible signing. I've watched him since his time in the reserves at United where he used to score for fun, he really is a special player and will prove it at Arsenal when he gets a decent run of games. He has also been one of the best players at Utd during the Moyes saga and improves this current Utd team (yeah I know they're muck but still) whenever he plays, something supposedly near world class players like Mata and Kagawa have struggled to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well Im gonna go to bed and dream of what should of been

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Soups123 wrote: »
    Diaby is not a DM if anything he is an ACM. He looks like Veira but they are not similar players

Pretty much the only reason anyone ever thinks he's a DM right there.

Will take Welbeck but bloody hell, I don't know how they haven't gone for a CB.

wonga77 wrote: »
    He's coming to Arsenal like, he'll probably be played left back

I would laugh at the end of the season, Welbeck with 30 goals :pac:. a bit far fetched maybe 25

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement