Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

I read somewhere that the report from Ojogo, the portugese newspaper, about our bid for William Carvalho has put the cat among the pidgeons and we were trying to keep that potential signing under wraps.
    I’d be very very happy if we went for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Happy enough as long as we're still in the market for a DMF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Happy enough as long as we're still in the market for a DMF.

This is a position we just have to fill as our challenge will depend on it imo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We've been linked to plenty of players in the position now, I'm confident that one of Carvalho, Bender or Schneiderlin will be signed. Schneiderlin obviously the most gettable but Bender would be my preference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'd still be confident that the club hasn't totally ruled out Khedira - we're the only real club he has an option to go to and if he feels his time at RM is now limited he might soften on his wage demands if he thinks we are now gone off him. Especially with the "leaking" of the Carvalho interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I still want Schneiderlin best fit for our team I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Cavani failed to show up to training today and wants a move to the Premier League apparently.
    He'd be a nice addition to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

marvin80 wrote: »
    Cavani failed to show up to training today and wants a move to the Premier League apparently.

If he's willing to behave like that in order to get a move, then I'm not sure I'd want him to be honest. Unprofessional if true.

If he's willing to behave like that in order to get a move, then I'm not sure I'd want him to be honest. Unprofessional if true.

on the other hand I can understand the lads who are staying away from Shaktar Donetsk not wanting to return there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

marvin80 wrote: »

Got some bad news for ya.
    Up front we don't need any more. We need a goalkeeper for sure and after that it depends on how our midfielders get through without injuries until the start of the season. Maybe at centre-back we’ll still bring one in.

http://arseblog.com/2014/07/another-striker-signing-its-a-no-go/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

dorgasm wrote: »

Cavani is overrated anyway, waste of 60mil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This is the one thing that annoys me about Wenger. Why can't he have a squad large enough to cover injuries. Surely he isn't entering the season and not buying additional cover because he hopes we stay injury free.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Quazzie wrote: »
    This is the one thing that annoys me about Wenger. Why can't he have a squad large enough to cover injuries. Surely he isn't entering the season and not buying additional cover because he hopes we stay injury free.

No he sees Sanchez as an option up front I think.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No he sees Sanchez as an option up front I think.

also, Campbell, Sanogo, and Akpomb looking for game time in the forward position, either up front or as wing forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Hope Wenger will give Akpom more of a chance this year.
    From what I've seen of him from the pre-season last year till the match last Friday, he seems much more composed on the ball than Sanogo. Would be a shame to have him stall his development in the U21's when for me he looks as good as if not better than Sanogo at the moment.

• Advertisement

dvemail wrote: »
    Hope Wenger will give Akpom more of a chance this year..

I completely agree, he deserves his chance for sure. His finishing is very decent.
    I’m a fan of Sanogo’s attitude and application, but the poor lad seems to have a dreadful relationship with the actual football.
    I was hoping he’d score against boreham wood. I hope he gets a goal against New York. He needs one.
    Wenger obviously rates him highly, starting him against Bayern!
    A carefully chosen loan period might suit him. I’d send him on loan this season and keep akpomb

The new Joel Campbell, Wellington Silva is heading to Almeria on loan. Will be interesting to see how he gets on in La Liga. Made 38 appearances last season in the Segunda with Real Murcia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wellington Silva has been with us for years now and been loaned out to random lower league Spanish teams, can't see him making it at all.

Wellington Silva has been with us for years now and been loaned out to random lower league Spanish teams, can't see him making it at all.

He has no work permit, will be a make or break season for him I think, not so much in Arsenal terms but in his career as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

He has no work permit, will be a make or break season for him I think, not so much in Arsenal terms but in his career as a whole.

He was an annoying little fecker to play against in the last fifa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Yep, he qualifies for a Spainish citizenship this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Don't think Silva will make it with us either. According to Wikipedia he only has 10 goals and 9 assists in almost 100 games. That's a pretty bad ratio, especially when he is playing in a lower league. Don't see how he could improve enough to make the step up to Arsenal level. I hope he proves me wrong, but would be surprised if he makes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Quazzie wrote: »

In fairness, this is Wenger during the transfer season. I won't believe a word out of his mouth until September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Cavani is overrated anyway, waste of 60mil

This is what I was talking about yesterday.

Last year it was all about how Cavani and Falcao were so world class.

I mean how do Uruguay and Columbia both have two world class strikers? (Suarez and James also)

I just don't buy all this hype.

Like I said yesterday. I doubt the two in Juve's central midfield will go down as greats of the game. They're just fashionable players right now.

How many of Arsenal's current players will go down as "greats of the game"?

All of them. What's wrong with you?

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

define a 'great'?

Possibly none, which is why we're happy with an FA cup.

We need an Henry or Vieira or Adams or Cole or Bergkamp.

Every time we're linked with someone, there's always someone that tells me this player is/will be of that ilk.

But it's not true.

Ozil might be if he sorts it out. Rambo maybe if he gives a few years if consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

How many "greats of the game" did we have in the past?

What criteria do you use?

Players with over 100 caps for their country?
    Medals? Does that not depend on their club?
    International medals? Does that not depend on their country?
    Stats? We only collect them for the last decade or so?
    Standard of play and opposition? How do we measure that?

It is not easy to answer your question without defining "greats of the game", unless, of course, you just want to start a row about the quality of the current squad, but you wouldn't want that? So give us the definition of "greats of the game" and some examples from previous squads and we can answer it.

I don't think you can really define 'great' or 'world class' but sticking on something as silly as that is kind of against the point, or at least my point.

Remember the noise about Lucas Moura or Iker Muniain a couple of years back. Now don't get me wrong, they're very good players but we need more IMO.

We need players that will be able to match and better everything our opposition throw at us for 5-7 years.

• Advertisement

Ah here now....Not like he was caught smoking a fag and taking a sup of champagne on his rest now is it? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I think we should all be honest and as of now, the answer is prob none. IMO Rosicky should go down, not at pele,messi level obviously, but as an underrated work horse who is extremely talented and loyal to his clubs.

Ramsey,Koscielny,even Giroud all have the potential to become greats imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I think we should all be honest and as of now, the answer is prob none. IMO Rosicky should go down, not at pele,messi level obviously, but as an underrated work horse who is extremely talented and loyal to his clubs.

Sanchez, Ozil are two more.

there are only around 300 players ever who have more than 100 caps for their country. Two of them currently are at Arsenal - Podolski and Mertesacker.

So, it is all a matter of opinion, you could have as many as eight or as few as none, depending on how wide the criteria you use. Not worth having a debate about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Totally agree with you as regards Rosicsky, he is a work horse and gives his best 80% of the time plus he is talented and has a good football brain, always impressed with his sense of urgency, attack philosophy and technical ability. For a 34 year old, he is phenomenal Imo; he would surely go down as one of the most loyal to the club.

Sorry I dont think Giroud has what it takes to a 'great' imo. He is an OK striker but I dont think he has the qualities to be an 'Henry' or Ian Wright for us. He is 28, most probably at his prime, he has deficiencies that he has not improved upon in the last 2 seasons. To be frank, I find it a bit odd that AW is not looking for a player to complement his position.

Long video but seriously worth a watch if you're a Giroud critic. Imagine if this guy manages to add more goals to his game. I want him in our starting 11 purely for his ball winning and hold up play. Could be lethal with Walcott and Sanchez around to take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

gosplan wrote: »
    Possibly none, which is why we're happy with an FA cup.

We need an Henry or Vieira or Adams or Cole or Bergkamp.

Every time we're linked with someone, there's always someone that tells me this player is/will be of that ilk.

But it's not true.

Ozil might be if he sorts it out. Rambo maybe if he gives a few years if consistency.
    How the hell can you include Cashley in with those greats. Great f&@king judas. Nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Pudders wrote: »
    How the hell can you include Cashley in with those greats. Great f&@king judas. Nothing else.

He was one of the most important players in your clubs most successful team of the PL era and the last time you won anything of note?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mmhmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Long video but seriously worth a watch if you're a Giroud critic. Imagine if this guy manages to add more goals to his game. I want him in our starting 11 purely for his ball winning and hold up play. Could be lethal with Walcott and Sanchez around to take advantage.

Long but very enjoyable. Seems that a lot of that support play gets missed by fans who prefer to concentrate on his misses. Lambert, for example, gets loads of plaudits for that type of play but Giroud is far superior, yet seemingly un-noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Lukker- wrote: »
    He was one of the most important players in your clubs most successful team of the PL era and the last time you won anything of note?

Why you even in here, should you not be in the Chelsea forum talking about one of the trophies you bought?

We won something of note two months ago if i recall, or is it only of note when Chelski buy it...i mean win it?

greendom wrote: »
    Long but very enjoyable. Seems that a lot of that support play gets missed by fans who prefer to concentrate on his misses. Lambert, for example, gets loads of plaudits for that type of play but Giroud is far superior, yet seemingly un-noticed.

Nail on the head. Even the section that shows how many headers he wins while defending corners. You never hear of that stuff from mainstream pundits. The other thing that stands out to me is the amount of times he assists an assist if you get me. He's often the 2nd last key pass before a goal. He created a tonne of chances in that video that should have been finished too. If we can get the players around him finishing the chances he creates, we're going to be a very dangerous attacking force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

:rolleyes: He was our left back. Don't be getting ahead of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Nail on the head. Even the section that shows how many headers he wins while defending corners. You never hear of that stuff from mainstream pundits. The other thing that stands out to me is the amount of times he assists an assist if you get me. He's often the 2nd last key pass before a goal. He created a tonne of chances in that video that should have been finished too. If we can get the players around him finishing the chances he creates, we're going to be a very dangerous attacking force.

Ahhh the patented Alexander Hleb "pre-assist".

Pudders wrote: »

Because I'm talking about the quality of players, regardless of whether they were the type of guy that said other people should feel privileged after he puked in their car. (True story)

My point is that Arsenal need to have better players than their opposition. Cole, despite what transpired afterwards was that. I mean he was as good as anyone for quite a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

:rolleyes: He was our left back. Don't be getting ahead of yourself.

Agreed! I'd put Henry, Pires, Vieira, Ljungberg, Bergkamp, Sol Campbell, Kolo Toure, Lehmann, Gilberto and Lauren ahead of him. If Cole had of got injured, Clichy would have been an able deputy and we would still have been crowned "The Invincibles".....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Well this was interesting reading.

http://vozpopuli.com/deportes/45850-messi-le-pidio-a-cesc-que-sondeara-su-fichaje-por-el-arsenal-antes-de-firmar-su-adecuacion-contractual

For anybody that doesn't want to bother translating it.
    Basically at the end of the season when Messi was feeling a bit ****ty at Barca he asked Cesc to sound out a possible move to Arsenal.
    Arsenal couldn't do anything as he was just too expensive.

Nice to get a good laugh in the morning. Even if it were true I reckon he was just looking for a nice bump in wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

http://vozpopuli.com/deportes/45850-messi-le-pidio-a-cesc-que-sondeara-su-fichaje-por-el-arsenal-antes-de-firmar-su-adecuacion-contractual

Basically at the end of the season when Messi was feeling a bit ****ty at Barca he asked Cesc to sound out a possible move to Arsenal.

Nice to get a good laugh in the morning. Even if it were true I reckon he was just looking for a nice bump in wages.

Damn you wenger and your penny pinching ways !

He just knows that if he did it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke, it would end the Messi v Maradonna debate for once and for all.

He probably just wanted to live in London.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement