Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So is Isaac Hayden fourth choice centre back then? Probably Monreal which is disgraceful from Wenger. He isnt even good in his natural position.

Good question and i can't answer it.
    Chambers will debutise for any injury to Debuchy or a CB. It looks like Monrael will debutise for Gibbs or a CB now. Bellerin can also play RB and Flamini LB. After that you're on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Even as a Utd supporter, I have to say I would have a wry smile if Falcao fails his medical and Welbeck has already signed for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

K4t wrote: »
    Even as a Utd supporter, I have to say I would have a wry smile if Falcao fails his medical and Welbeck has already signed for Arsenal.

Surely the Welbeck deal would depend on Falcao going through? With RVP out and Hernandez sold, LVG would hardly sell him.

Surely the Welbeck deal would depend on Falcao going through? With RVP out and Hernandez sold, LVG would hardly sell him.
    You're probably right, but the fact LVG was willing to let him go makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

What decent CBs were available that would have been willing to sit on the bench for most of the season?

We've had our fair share of absolute stinkers in the past as 3rd/4th choice CBs remember, which cost us.

I believe any CB we bring in would have to be competition to kos and mert and then there's the risk of any of them wanting out as like with TV.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

omega man wrote: »
    What decent CBs were available that would have been willing to sit on the bench for most of the season?

We've had our fair share of absolute stinkers in the past as 3rd/4th choice CBs remember, which cost us.

I believe any CB we bring in would have to be competition to kos and mert and then there's the risk of any of them wanting out as like with TV.

Just a thought.

We needed a journey man and we couldnt manage that across a full window.

Maybe there's a master plan i'm not privy to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You're probably right, but the fact LVG was willing to let him go makes me sick.

Why so?

You rate him highly then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Alan Smith has just tweeted that he heard he had failed the medical...

Is that account not a fake account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Just a thought.

You're probably right. Looking at the defensive positions, we don't really lack for personnel, considering the versatility in the squad. If we're bringing someone in in those positions it probably wouldn't do our overall season's chances much good unless they were to go straight into a starting role. We'd probably just end up with another Silvestre or Squillaci.
    -- RB -------- CB ---------- LB
    Debuchy    Mertesacker    Gibbs
    Chambers    Koscielny   Monreal
    Bellerin    Chambers    Flamini
                 Monreal
                 Hayden

-------------- DM -------------
                 Arteta
                Flamini
                 Diaby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

We really should have tried to get Micah Richards.

Isn't Ryan Nelsen looking for a job? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So is Isaac Hayden fourth choice centre back then? Probably Monreal which is disgraceful from Wenger. He isnt even good in his natural position.

Monreal has been great so far this (admitedly short) season.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Is that account not a fake account?

Pretty sure it's him, doesn't have the verified tick but has 30,000 followers.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Isn't Ryan Nelsen looking for a job? :D

Titus Bramble is a free agent :pac:

greendom wrote: »
    Monreal has been great so far this (admitedly short) season.

He is very good going forward but a poor defender imo.

Titus Bramble is a free agent :pac:

There's a good reason for that!!

Pretty sure it's him, doesn't have the verified tick but has 30,000 followers.

Check how many people favourite and retweet his past tweets though, not many for a man of his rep, I call bullshìt.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Check how many people favourite and retweet his past tweets though, not many for a man of his rep, I call bullshìt.

You're probably onto something. Guardian saying they believe the 'original source' is a fake account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Wish Welbeck would be confirmed, aint going to sleep until it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Can monreal play as a cb? Hes very slight - i couldnt picture him being able to handle a big strong cf

You're probably onto something. Guardian saying they believe the 'original source' is a fake account.

Followers include Ian Wright, Lee Dixon, arseblog and a good few journalists so doubt it's fake.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You're probably right. Looking at the defensive positions, we don't really lack for personnel, considering the versatility in the squad. If we're bringing someone in in those positions it probably wouldn't do our overall season's chances much good unless they were to go straight into a starting role. We'd probably just end up with another Silvestre or Squillaci.
    -- RB -------- CB ---------- LB
    Debuchy    Mertesacker    Gibbs
    Chambers    Koscielny   Monreal
    Bellerin    Chambers    Flamini
                 Monreal
                 Hayden

-------------- DM -------------
                 Arteta
                Flamini
                 Diaby

Writing a player's name more than once isn't the same as having actual cover at the back :P I doubt there's another squad in the league with as few central defenders as us right now? The reality is Monreal isn't a CB and Chambers is 2nd choice to Kosc, Mert and Debuchy.

Bellerin and Hayden might surprise us I suppose but they can't really be included in any genuine squad list imo. Plus Diaby ain't a DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Well hopefully Isaac Hayden is good - anyone follow the youths and be able to give any insight?

Last thing I'll say on the window is this; in any other job/entity, the complete incompetence and lack of strategy when it comes to resourcing at our place would have you fired.

But I'll still bleed red so from now until we can open this debate again on January 1; COYG.

sonic85 wrote: »
    Can monreal play as a cb? Hes very slight - i couldnt picture him being able to handle a big strong cf

Nope he's been there a few times and he's been a disaster.

Why so?
    Because he is a very, very talented player with all the attributes to become a top striker, except noone was willing to give him an opportunity. Wenger will give him that chance.
    You rate him highly then?
    Extremely.

If Ferguson was still in charge I am certain Welbeck would be our main striker along with Van Persie. Welbeck will have no problems linking up with Ozil/Sanchez/Ramsay/Walcott/Cazorla and the goals will come.

Falcao has not failed a medical so Welbeck deal should go through, assuming the delay is due to utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Did we sign Kalou or are we waiting for January for that one?

Im indifferent to the whole Welbeck thing. Id have prefered to have signed a defensive midfielder and/or a centre back.

Wenger preached about Akpom and how us fans would never suggest that he give him a go for a change. That's because as proved we knew that he wouldn't and id say Hayden wont get his chance as a Centre back either despite the perilous situation that we are in. We'll have makeshift players slotting in back there before we'd dare even give him a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

The tweet about Falcao failing his medical is bullcrap from a fake source.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Writing a player's name more than once isn't the same as having actual cover at the back :P I doubt there's another squad in the league with as few central defenders as us right now? The reality is Monreal isn't a CB and Chambers is 2nd choice to Kosc, Mert and Debuchy.

Bellerin and Hayden might surprise us I suppose but they can't really be included in any genuine squad list imo. Plus Diaby ain't a DM.

Yes and no. Writing a players name twice is more reflective of what happens over the course of a season. Most clubs strive to have two players for each position but the reality is over the season most successful clubs tend to rely on a core of a bout 16-20 players, with the remainder being called upon so infrequently that match fitness is the biggest obstacle towards their performace.

In some ways it makes sense to have the likes of Monreal and Chambers deputizing for two positions, because it means they will get more games and thus in theory remain sharper than an imaginary 4th choice CB who'd be lucky to get 5 full appearances in the season.

Loads of talk doing the rounds that Falcao has failed his medical. And that the deadline was missed by united anyway. That'll knock the Welbeck deal on the head if true.

Loads of talk doing the rounds that Falcao has failed his medical. And that the deadline was missed by united anyway. That'll knock the Welbeck deal on the head if true.

SSN confirmed he didn't fail his medical.

SSN confirmed he didn't fail his medical.

SSN make it up as they go along.

They confirmed with the club directly. I'll take that over twitter any time.

• Advertisement

No its bullcrap.
    It was a fake source.

Good read up on Welbeck from a Man United fan site. It was posted last week so its very recent.

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/stats-danny-welbeck-compared-to-other-strikers-at-23/

Welbeck: "See ya around Robin"

RVP: "Where you going Danny?"

Welbeck: "Champions league"

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Hope the Falcao deals falls through.

Not too pissed off tonight.

Cause it's finally confirmed Wenger is finished at this level, he failed us again!!

All the strikers in the world and he signs Danny ****ing Welbeck.

Has to be some young lad with pace in the world better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Hope the Falcao deals falls through.

Not too pissed off tonight.

Cause it's finally confirmed Wenger is finished at this level, he failed us again!!

All the strikers in the world and he signs Danny ****ing Welbeck.

Has to be some young lad with pace in the world better than him.

Strange comment this, if Falcao falls through you can be guaranteed the Welbeck deal won't happen.

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Strange comment this, if Falcao falls through you can be guaranteed the Welbeck deal won't happen.

At least we wouldn't have wasted 16 million.

He's useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

NUTZZ wrote: »

He comes out with a lot of them ;)

Hoping the Wellbeck deal falls through even though he mightnt light a fire under everyone's belly is ridiculous at this stage it's Wellbeck or Sanogo I know which I'd prefer.

Windows closed time to get behind the team again and at least wait and see what Wellbeck can bring to the team before loosing the rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

He's useless.

Sanogo is useless, welbeck, we can work with.

He comes out with a lot of them ;)

Hoping the Wellbeck deal falls through even though he mightnt light a fire under everyone's belly is ridiculous at this stage it's Wellbeck or Sanogo I know which I'd prefer.

Windows closed time to get behind the team again and at least wait and see what Wellbeck can bring to the team before loosing the rag.

It's Welbeck.

Smarty

He's useless.

So you're basically saying you'd prefer Sonago over Welbeck?
    For your own sake you probably shouldn't answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

BwfCF_DIgAAlXdA.jpg

Fcuk it, I'll admit I never wanted Welbeck but if we sign him I'm behind him 100% and will give him a chance. A lot of United fans unhappy to see him go and most pundits seem to think he will be a good signing for us. There must be talent there and maybe we can get the best out of him.

Raf32 wrote: »
    BwfCF_DIgAAlXdA.jpg

:(

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Sanogo is useless, welbeck, we can work with.

Well yeah he is less useless than Sanogo.

He's an equally horrible passer, awful first touch, can't dribble, pretty crap in the air too for his height.

He's moderately quick.

It's like signing Darren Bent 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Welbeck done officially! 15-16 million long term deal on SSN now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement