Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Might as well get behind the lad!

BwgoTslIAAAszJz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

wonga77 wrote: »
    Wenger has really given his detractors serious ammunition this window.
    Finish 20 points behind the league winners and its, if x or y hadnt got injured, if only he'd reinforced our defence and not left us thin on cover.
    Finish 2 points behind the league winners and its, if x or y hadnt got injured, if only he'd reinforced our defence and not left us thin on cover.

The only way he will survive this is if he somehow manages to win the league, even his most loyal backers seem to be having a few doubts now

Did anyone doubt he would ever change... He has a lot of credibility and success, as in CL qualification for the last 17 times., but boy is he stubborn and always a little deficit for the full set. I welcome Welbeck and hope we do well, but I think we are short in key areas, despite the additions in the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

One interesting thing is that both Welbeck and Sanchez are known for their high work rates in both defence and attack. Hopefully with those two in the team we can win the ball higher up the pitch and become more dangerous. The added pace also gives us a great counter attack option when playing away against good teams. Welbeck Sanchez Walcott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Did anyone doubt he would ever change... He has a lot of credibility and success, as in CL qualification for the last 17 times., but boy is he stubborn and always a little deficit for the full set. I welcome Welbeck and hope we do well, but I think we are short in key areas, despite the additions in the window.

Yes they did, the thread nearly went into meltdown when he let Fabregas go to Chelsea, there were lots who couldnt understand it and quite a few that backed Wenger saying that he obviously knew best and they would reserve judgement till the close of window.
    Not getting another cb is criminal squad management, regardless of whatever your opinion on Wenger might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

AdamD wrote: »
    One interesting thing is that both Welbeck and Sanchez are known for their high work rates in both defence and attack. Hopefully with those two in the team we can win the ball higher up the pitch and become more dangerous. The added pace also gives us a great counter attack option when playing away against good teams. Welbeck Sanchez Walcott

Good point, higher physicality and aggression higher up the field not to mention chasing back and really meaning it will make the heavy defeats we suffered last season that bit harder to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

wonga77 wrote: »
    Not getting another cb is criminal squad management, regardless of whatever your opinion on Wenger might be.
    Can't disagree with that. I honestly thought Wenger would buy another, especially coming off the back of a World Cup, but he didn't. Potential disaster zone at the back now if we get one injury never mind two.

We're good enough to compete imo, but an injury at the back and it'll all be over. Monreal is barely good enough at lb, he shouldn't be cover center back. Chambers is looking good but he's pretty much covering right and center back.Only hope is that one of the youngsters manages to step up and there's no long term injury in defence.

Frustration doesn't even begin to describe it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

A CB/DM would have made the difference I think. We will see now how the team progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

If Welbeck is gonna work his ass off up there as much as it sounds then I'll gladly take him. Makes a big difference to have an athlete up there constantly putting defenders under pressure when possible. I hope him and Sanchez retain their dogged ways under Wenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

AdamD wrote: »

This is a good point actually.

Our pressing game and ball retrieving is very poor, no urgency at all, but maybe this could help that improve.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Welbeck to outscore falcao and balotelli

Hon Danny

I said he'd outscore Falcao as a joke emergingstar type post yesterday and then you go and say it today for real. I hope we're right :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Alexis has really carried over his pressing game from Barce. Very impressed with his pressing and work rate. I wouldn't say we are poor in this regard, something we can improve certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

if welbeck outscores falcao i'll eat my shorts.

Alexis has really carried over his pressing game from Barce. Very impressed with his pressing and work rate. I wouldn't say we are poor in this regard, something we can improve certainly.

I think we're very poor, half our players can't even tackle. We just invite the opposition on and hope kos or mert can win it back.

Anyway Sanchez is showing them how it's done, they need to observe.

Coquelin is still around so I suppose he'll fill in at full back and in def mid from time to time. Had high hopes for him once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Well how comeost other teams can manage to find someone but we can't?

Liverpool have agger, skrtel, sakho and lovren.

Agger left. I was playing devils advocate as I agree we needed more CB cover. I was just putting the point across as to what specific CB we should have signed baring in mind a good CB would want game time and perhaps we'd risk losing them, kos or mert next season if either one was warming the bench. I don't want another Senderos etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Paj wrote: »
    if welbeck outscores falcao i'll eat my shorts.

Saving this for posterity :)

Hopefully come May we'll be serving up Deep Fried Shorts to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I said he'd outscore Falcao as a joke emergingstar type post yesterday and then you go and say it today for real. I hope we're right :p

I have full faith in the young man

gandalf wrote: »
    Saving this for posterity :)

Hopefully come May we'll be serving up Deep Fried Shorts to you ;)

hey if it happens, pass the ketchup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Hahaha saw this this morning, laughed my balls off and then i cried a little....

http://instagram.com/p/sbyGvHJYDn/

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Forgot about Gnabry, really surprised he wasn't loaned. Can't see him being too near the first team this year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Forgot about Gnabry, really surprised he wasn't loaned. Can't see him being too near the first team this year either.

He is crocked and wenger said he is no where near coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Maybe Diaby can fulfil his potential and prove to be a vital part of the team for the season. I won't hold my breath but he could be the missing link. Very impressed with him when he plays. The international break will give him an extra 2 weeks to get up to the required fitness.

*cue a reply from someone telling me he's injured himself again*

omega man wrote: »
    Agger left. I was playing devils advocate as I agree we needed more CB cover. I was just putting the point across as to what specific CB we should have signed baring in mind a good CB would want game time and perhaps we'd risk losing them, kos or mert next season if either one was warming the bench. I don't want another Senderos etc
    Well then us having only 3cbs maybe isn't too bad if they are the same.

Well then us having only 3cbs maybe isn't too bad if they are the same.

Any decent CB's available on a free?

Defenders
    Abdeslam Ouaddou
    Adam Drury
    Albin Ebondo
    Andrea Dossena
    Anthony Gardner
    Badr El Kaddouri
    Breno Borges
    Diego Lugano
    Digao
    Frankie Simek
    Gary Borrowdale
    Giourkas Seitaridis
    Habib Beye
    James Cullingworth
    Jan Tauer
    Jean-Alain Boumsong
    Jermaine Pennant
    John Mensah
    Jon Otsemobor
    Jonathan Fortune
    Kenny Strickland
    Kerrea Gilbert
    Michael Ball
    Modibo Diakite
    Pablo Ibanez
    Ricardo Gardner
    Ricardo Rocha
    Rui Marques
    Sammy Traore
    Takura Mtandari
    Tamas Kadar
    Thierry Gathuessi
    Titus Bramble
    William Gallas
    Yago Fernandez
    Yassin Moutaouakil

Dont know how comprehensive or correct this list is but Gilbert and Gallas Id say to come back :pac:

• Advertisement

#bringbackgallas

(NEVER! detest him)

Diakite wouldn't be a bad shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I hope Hayden gets his chance in the league cup and he takes it looks to be a proper player

I think Hayden and Bellerin will be promoted to the first-team squad, even if only to look like we have 8 defenders.

Some decent CB's in that list that could act as a back up.

Somebody get on to Wenger.

I think we're very poor, half our players can't even tackle. We just invite the opposition on and hope kos or mert can win it back.

Anyway Sanchez is showing them how it's done, they need to observe.

Wouldn't totally agree or disagree. I think our main problem is we don't do it as a team and we don't pick our moments to press as one. All the players do it in some regard. Some a lot more than others, and never seems to be in a tactical unity Barcelona style.

It's a tactic that has pros and cons. I think it's very effective when used together at the right times. We seem to have the high energy players that can implement it, so let's see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

As a United fan i think Wellbeck will do very well at Arsenal. His movement and pace will get him into great positions. But from a fantasy football position do people think he will slot in as your number 1 striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Can we recall Jenko? I wouldnt feel as bad about the back if we could

Raf32 wrote: »
    Can we recall Jenko? I wouldnt feel as bad about the back if we could

I would be shocked if that wasn't an option included in the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

As a United fan I'm absolutely gutted that Welbeck has gone to Arsenal, or well anywhere to be honest. While he may not be at Falcao's level I think he'll thrive at Arsenal.

You'll get effort and commitment. He has great pace and he can carry the ball forward very well. He's not the most natural of finishers but is a good instinctive finisher when he doesn't have to think as much. Also he's not as bad as the media and "general consensus" make out, that's just lazy follow the crowd thinking.

He had a run of games upfront last season while Rooney and RVP was out and he did really well considering the players assisting him. The thought of Ozil, Sanchez, Santi, Walcott, Debuchy creating for him will bring the best of Welbeck if he gets the chance to lead the line. As well as Ramsey's runs. I hope he has a great season and career, ye have a good'un :)

You treat him right ok :(

Sczcesney

(Ospina)

-Debuchy---Mertesacker--Koscielny---Gibbs---
    -(Bellerin)--(Chambers)---(Hayden)--(Monreal)

Arteta
    Ramsey

(Flamini)
    (Wilshere)

Ozil

(Carzola)

Walcott
    Alexis
    ---(Chamberlain)
    (Podolski)

Giroud

(Welbeck)

Still reason to be optimistic i guess, on paper, no Rosicky,Diaby,Campbell etc.

As a United fan I'm absolutely gutted that Welbeck has gone to Arsenal, or well anywhere to be honest. While he may not be at Falcao's level I think he'll thrive at Arsenal.

You'll get effort and commitment. He has great pace and he can carry the ball forward very well. He's not the most natural of finishers but is a good instinctive finisher when he doesn't have to think as much. Also he's not as bad as the media and "general consensus" make out, that's just lazy follow the crowd thinking.

He had a run of games upfront last season while Rooney and RVP was out and he did really well considering the players assisting him. The thought of Ozil, Sanchez, Santi, Walcott, Debuchy creating for him will bring the best of Welbeck if he gets the chance to lead the line. As well as Ramsey's runs. I hope he has a great season and career, ye have a good'un :)

You treat him right ok :(

It has been really comforting hearing UTD fans are sorry to lose him :D

He has undoubted talent and he should have a point to prove. So let's see how good he can be.

A few United fans putting bets on him to be in top 4 scorers in the league this season :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Sczcesney

(Ospina)

-Debuchy---Mertesacker--Koscielny---Gibbs---
    -(Bellerin)--(Chambers)---(Hayden)--(Monreal)

Arteta
    Ramsey

(Flamini)
    (Wilshere)

Ozil

(Carzola)

Walcott
    Alexis
    ---(Chamberlain)
    (Podolski)

Giroud

(Welbeck)

Still reason to be optimistic i guess, on paper, no Rosicky,Diaby,Campbell etc.

Or Sanogo:)

Not forgetting Martinez, Gnabry, Coquelin or Zelalem either. 30 potential first-team players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Lads,

At the end of the day we got an England international and a player with PL experience....its a hell of alot better then not signing anyone. I would not be the biggest fan of Wellbeck and as a die hard gooner I always want the best possible siginings and yes I would have loved to get Falcao, but a reported £260,000 a week tax free salary and a £10 million loan free we were dead right to pass up on him.

Wellbeck will score and I can see him scraping a few games for us, bitterly disappointed that we did not get a CB in, I posted weeks ago that we should have snapped up Lescott on a free. Would have been perfect squad player.

COYG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Looks like 5 teams for 4 spots this year. Hopefully we have enough.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    Looks like 5 teams for 4 spots this year. Hopefully we have enough.

Looks more like 7 to me :(

We got away with Giroud not suffering a serious injury last season. Will we get away with the same with our centre-backs this season? Arsene does love a gamble doesn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fcuk it, I'll admit I never wanted Welbeck but if we sign him I'm behind him 100% and will give him a chance. A lot of United fans unhappy to see him go and most pundits seem to think he will be a good signing for us. There must be talent there and maybe we can get the best out of him.

I'm in the same boat.
    Never passed much remarks of Wellbeck when he was with United.
    Hope he hits the ground running for us.
    Will not write off Sanogo yet either. He might come good in time. One thing for sure in his defence is that he is not right yet and Wenger shouldn't have heaped such pressure on the kid. More annoyed with Wenger than Sanogo.

I'm in the same boat.
    Will not write off Sanogo yet either. He might come good in time. One thing for sure in his defence is that he is not right yet and Wenger shouldn't have heaped such pressure on the kid. More annoyed with Wenger than Sanogo.

Sanogo's glued on to be our CB cover this year, next Sol Campbell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Still dunno what to make of yesterday. Really stupid and risky from Wenger not to sign a defender. DM im not too upset over as once Arteta was made captain there was never a chance of someone new coming in, in that position.

Welbeck....Didnt think we would buy a striker so in that way im happy enough but im unsure if Welbeck is good enough. He is determined, big and strong which are all good things but I dunno is he what we need. United fans seem to rate him highly but easy for them to say when they just bought Falco.

We'll just have to wait and see. With him, Sanchez and walcott there is a lot of pace to hurt teams.

I'm in the same boat.

I think when Sanogo finally does get that elusive goal we might see a change in him. I think his desperation to score is affecting his game, he always seems to wait that one extra second to take the shot like he wants to make sure he doesn't mess it up, then of course he messes it up. I think it needs to be a case of "there is no try, only do" with him.

I think when Sanogo finally does get that elusive goal we might see a change in him. I think his desperation to score is affecting his game, he always seems to wait that one extra second to take the shot like he wants to make sure he doesn't mess it up, then of course he messes it up. I think it needs to be a case of "there is no try, only do" with him.

When he got his goals against Benfica I think thats what we all hoped for, didnt happen though

When he got his goals against Man City I think thats what we all hoped for, didnt happen though

You mean Benfica? Yeah I get you but I think there's a difference between scoring in a friendly and a competitive match and I'm sure he realises that too. I think he has the talent to come good eventually. In terms of workrate, getting into the right positions and linking up with his team mates he's already pretty decent just needs to sort out his composure when a chance presents itself. It's a good thing the pressure won't be all on him now Welbeck has arrived too I think.

• Advertisement

You mean Benfica? Yeah I get you but I think there's a difference between scoring in a friendly and a competitive match and I'm sure he realises that too. I think he has the talent to come good eventually. In terms of workrate, getting into the right positions and linking up with his team mates he's already pretty decent just needs to sort out his composure when a chance presents itself. It's a good thing the pressure won't be all on him now Welbeck has arrived too I think.

**** yeah sorry!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement