Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Notes in OP 24/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Wouldn't mind seeing this line up at some stage this season.

Welbeck

Sanchez
    Ozil
    Walcott

Ramsey
    Chambers

Gibbs
    Koscielny
    Mertesacker
    Debuchy

Szczesny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

omega man wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing this line up at some stage this season.

Welbeck

Sanchez
    Ozil
    Walcott

Ramsey
    Chambers

Gibbs
    Koscielny
    Mertesacker
    Debuchy

Szczesny

Id love to see that too but its never going to happen this season. Cant play our only 3 cbs. Shame we couldnt get anything in at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Wellbeck is not exactly prolific in goalscoring terms,seems more effective
    coming in off either wing.Sixteen million
    could have been more wisely spent on a
    centre-half.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Id love to see that too but its never going to happen this season. Cant play our only 3 cbs. Shame we couldnt get anything in at the back.

I agree but it could be worth the risk for a big away game where the extra defensive player gives us some kind of safety net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It shows how threadbare we are at the back. Who would the defensive substitutes be ?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    It shows how threadbare we are at the back. Who would the defensive substitutes be ?

Literally one of Gibbs/Monreal and thats it. I think we are gonna be in big trouble soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I agree but it could be worth the risk for a big away game where the extra defensive player gives us some kind of safety net.

He is hardly going to leave the captain on the bench either like he did with Vermaillen. He wouldn't have made him captain if he didn't plan to play him. The Vermaillen on the bench thing came about through injury/accident.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think Chambers' early season performances at CB might have changed Wenger's mind about the DM thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think Chambers' early season performances at CB might have changed Wenger's mind about the DM thing.

We are really in dire straights if Chambers gets an injury now and then a CB gets injured.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Wellbeck is not exactly prolific in goalscoring terms,seems more effective
    coming in off either wing.Sixteen million
    could have been more wisely spent on a
    centre-half.

Disagree. Yes we needed CB cover but you're saying spend that money on a CB who'll likely sit on the bench whilst we then play sanogo up front? It's still a pity we couldn't find another CB but realistically we would have brought in a squad CB of the likes we've seen before ie, a liability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

I just hope we get Ozil into a free role. Such a great player, let's put him in a position were he maximizes his strengths and forgets about his weaknesses. I feel Sanchez, Ox and Walcott are exactly the player for him and his eye for a pass to really shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

So the aftermath in my eyes.

We all agree the lack of defensive cover is not good enough lets hope we get lucky until January.

On Welbeck, first off fair play to the united lads who posted, its always good to see what the reaction is of the selling team as an indication of the player.

On Welbeck himself, he never entered my head as an potential signing, he isnt someone I would see as setting the world on fire. However since I slept on it I have thought this could be a master stroke by Arsene, Welbeck has the potential and we have a team that plays to alot of his strong points. I'm not niave enough to jump on the bandwagon of he is great now he is an Arsenal player but Arsene spent a lot of money on him and I think just maybe he knows what he is doing.

Had Welbeck been signed earlier with Sanchez yesterday I'd have been chuffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Soups123 wrote: »

We all agree the lack of defensive cover is not good enough lets hope we get lucky until January.

On Welbeck, first off fair play to the united lads who posted, its always good to see what the reaction is of the selling team as an indication of the player.

On Welbeck himself, he never entered my head as an potential signing, he isnt someone I would see as setting the world on fire. However since I slept on it I have thought this could be a master stroke by Arsene, Welbeck has the potential and we have a team that plays to alot of his strong points. I'm not niave enough to jump on the bandwagon of he is great now he is an Arsenal player but Arsene spent a lot of money on him and I think just maybe he knows what he is doing.

Funny enough literally 12hrs or so before the reports came out about us signing him. I was saying to my mate that i'd happily take him :pac:

Good post.

The reaction of the UTD fans for me has been a real positive. I haven't heard one UTD fan who was glad to see go and in fact they all seemed to rate him highly. There is no way in hell Fergie would have sold him, especially to a rival.

I think all our signings have been excellent. Ok no CB cover is a concern and a top DM would have propelled our first 11 to title winning material but all in all I think we've done ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

See the whole CB thing wouldn't even really concern me were it not for our injury record. Any other team could easily make it to January with only the 3 CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Jaafa wrote: »
    See the whole CB thing wouldn't even really concern me were it not for our injury record. Any other team could easily make it to January with only the 3 CB.

this.
    IMO, what destroyed us last year was injuries and in a position that, in theory, we shouldn't have an issue.
    So you would expect that with the money available, nothing would be left to chance. which it did. Even a simple thing like someone being suspended for a game or two, will become a big exercise on who plays where. I think we will have a first glimpse on the first Champions League game where, if I'm not mistaken, Debuchy is suspended.
    I start to think that poor Chambers will become the joker that will cover for any need there is (CB, DM, possibly RB too). Not sure this is the correct way to develop a young player into great class.

No objections on Welbeck. He could be a good addition if Wenger's system become a bit more rational (each player playing to his strongest position). Big IF, I know. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

My biggest frustration now is that we don't see any of these new signings in action for their respective teams until Saturday week!!!

Was a little upset with Welbeck last night but this morning i can see the positives. It was a joke of a deadline day and seemed like we had no plan. To go with 6 senior defenders and no DM again is very upsetting. Although we have improved, we havent improved enough to win the league imo. Not being negative, just realistic. Hopefully we can grab third this year and have a good run in Europe. We should be set up to do well in Europe actually especially on the counter attack. Hopefully get one of the cups too and that would be small progress. Im alarmed that Wenger has left us short again after so much promise. I hope his tactics improve this year and he plays players in their proper position but wont hold my breath. Hopefully the injuries stay away but that doesnt look too likely knowing our luck. Onwards and upwards hopefully we give a good account of ourselves.

:pac:
    BwhbdDPCQAATwC5.jpg

Mario Yepes is a free agent, would yee take him?

• Advertisement

Mario Yepes is a free agent, would yee take him?

Is he not about 40 now?

Is he not about 40 now?

Not sure to be honest, obviously his experience is a big plus so could be a good stop gap for a year.
    Or we take our chances and promote a youngster. . .???

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest, obviously his experience is a big plus so could be a good stop gap for a year.
    Or we take our chances and promote a youngster. . .???

Bit old alright, we only need a stop gap for 4 months, suspect Wenger will promote from the ranks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Bit old alright, we only need a stop gap for 4 months, suspect Wenger will promote from the ranks

And so he should

yeah, most likely scenario.
    From the list that Ardennes posted here earlier today, a case could be argued for Diego Lugano. 33 (probably still too old for Wenger's standards) and with PL experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Gallas is also a free agent! :pac::pac::pac:

Honestly though, I think Wenger will make do. Its gonna be interesting.

Gallas is also a free agent! :pac::pac::pac:

Honestly though, I think Wenger will make do. Its gonna be interesting.

I would rather chew on my own balls than see him play for Arsenal again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Well put. I think most would agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

But knowing Wenger signed potato head from United few seasons ago, don't be surprised if it comes back to haunt you....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

That why I can't wait to go to EP at the weekend, keep away from it all for the most part.

Last year I came back to Wenger's smirk and Ozil signing! :pac:

Coming back this year was more like this :pac:

It really is absolutely shocking that we didn't sign a defender or DM. Arseblog today generally sums up my opinions on the matter about the defence. It's entirely neglectful to leave our defence so threadbare and only 2/3 injuries away from a crisis, especially considering our history in that regard.

Welbeck isn't really the world beater we might have hoped for but decent signing and at least gives us something else up top. The united fans seem to think highly of him and Ferguson was a big fan. And although previously I said his scoring record wasn't good enough (and it's still not great overall), from what I have seen yesterday and today, when he has played through the middle his goal scoring is quite good. So let's hope that's where we see him and give him a chance to prosper in his favoured position.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Being realistic AW is never going to sign a world class player just because one of the regular squad is injured for a few months. he's never done it and I think he just looks at the squad - as if they are fully fit - and makes his decisions based on that.

Welbeck is no Heskey, he a decent player who just hasn't got a run of games. Those thinking we can still complete for the likes of Falcao, Suarez, Di Maria etc aren't seeing the full picture. We may be able to compete on transfer fees but we are a bit behind where it matters most and that's salary.

At different points in the season we are going to have Walcott, Gibbs, Arteta, Giroud etc back fully fit. Yes there are questions about defensive cover in midfield and the back line and it's hard to understand why we haven't acted there but things are never clear-cut.

There are many other attractive teams, also in need of cover in these areas, that also have failed to find the right player. In fact for the most part all the players we were linked to, and desired my posters here, went nowhere, to no club. That for me is enough to settle on the fact that either they were never available or simply just not as good as we think.

Its now sad that a transfer window that promised a lot and mostly delivered is going the be seen as a failure by most fans. We have got Sanchez, Debuchy, Chambers and Welbeck. Heck that's more than we're used to

It's also worth remembering that it's only 4 months til the January window so talk of only having 3 CBs for the season is a little misleading. Still a bit of a risk but our biggest weakness was CF and that was addressed.

We now have a pretty fine starting 11 with good attacking options from the bench. Injuries will happen but it's going to be a lottery as to who and when and of course the back line is at greatest risk.

I'm getting a little excited again.

It's also worth remembering that it's only 4 months til the January window so talk of only having 3 CBs for the season is a little misleading. Still a bit of a risk but our biggest weakness was CF and that was addressed.

We now have a pretty fine starting 11 with good attacking options from the bench. Injuries will happen but it's going to be a lottery as to who and when and of course the back line is at greatest risk.

We know what a nightmare Wenger is in the January window. Hopefully he will buy someone but he seems to find that window very troublesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Although it's not as bad as we were making out yesterday I still don't think our first 11 is good enough to win the league.

Haven't seen anything to suggest we have improved since last season although its early days.

I still have massive fear going to Stamford bridge, etihad and an field.

Although it's not as bad as we were making out yesterday I still don't think our first 11 is good enough to win the league.

Haven't seen anything to suggest we have improved since last season although its early days.

I think half the problem was that the players did too. Hopefully we'll have a change in attitude this time round.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, we all do. I just hope the players don't go there this season fearing a repeat. Wengers tactical approach must also change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

It wasnt the players who were fully to blame but the god awful batsh1t tactics that we used repeatedly in those games.

Lessons have to be learnt and I hope for all our sakes that they were

wonga77 wrote: »
    It wasnt the players who were fully to blame but the god awful batsh1t tactics that we used repeatedly in those games.

Lessons have to be learnt and I hope for all our sakes that they were

the players were out there making the basic defensive errors. yes tactics were all over the place but so were the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

greendom wrote: »
    the players were out there making the basic defensive errors. yes tactics were all over the place but so were the players.

true, you don't get massacred like that unless there are a few things wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Welbeck is a real piece of **** striker. He's fast, but he can't finish and is very much just plain ****. You simply cannot rely on him to get you goals.

Clusterf*ck of a transfer window again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Welbeck is a real piece of **** striker. He's fast, but he can't finish and is very much just plain ****. You simply cannot rely on him to get you goals.

based on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I can't wait for him to prove you wrong. :cool:

Having signed Sanchez and watched him play how can you not see improvement!

Sure we havent beaten Leicester and Everton away, but we have shown good determination and never give up work ethic when needed against CP, Everton and Besiktas.

This team have had very little preseason, some players had very little time off in the summer, it may take a few weeks for the rythm to come back into the team.

Its very early doors to be declaring seeing no improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hyzepher wrote: »
    based on?

Match of the Day once a month or something probably.

I'm sure other real piece of shìt strikers can say they've been their team's MotM in latter stage CL games against Real and Bayern in recent years too...

He's strong fast and contrary to belief can finish, just like every striker out there he performs better when given a run of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Hyperbole at its finest.

We signed Sanchez a world class player

Ospina and international standard back up keeper.

Chambers and Debuchy both upgrades on the players they replaced imo.

And Welbeck whilst not the CF we were all dying for the reaction of United fans the ones who seen him most has me far more optimistic.
    Welbeck could make a lot of people eat there words and he's a hell of a lot better than Sanogo.

Ok we could have done with another CB or DM.

But to say it was a cluster**** or to call a player who just signed for the club we support shiit is pure hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

Really?

It’s not been a terrible window, sure we’re still short a DM and a CB, but Sanchez improves the first 11, Chambers improves the first 18, Ospina improves the 18, and Debuchy is an able replacement for Sagna.
    Welbeck could well flourish with us if he gets to play CF.

We’ve had worse windows to be honest.

Kheidera injured at the German training camp. The extent of it is unclear at the moment but maybe we skipped a bullet there - he is a little injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

It's gas seeing how people's opinions of Welbeck drastically change once he's confirmed to Arsenal and how easily people are influenced by a few United fans coming in and saying they'll miss him.

Edit: Replies are even funnier, I support my team, i don't have to support every individual player just because.

My comment was in relation to people changing their opinions on him nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

It's gas seeing how people's opinions of Welbeck drastically change once he's confirmed to Arsenal and how easily people are influenced by a few United fans coming in and saying they'll miss him.

It's called supporting the team and giving a player the benefit of the doubt and letting them actually play a few games before casting judgement and labelling them shiit

I think thats unfair, for most it was a signing not considered by many. But its here now and those who have never had to think of or had reason to give an opinion on him now will.

He aint half bad and has potential, reminds me a lot of Sturridge to Liverpool hopefully it works as well

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement